Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micheal O' Leary: What a fu-cking whinge bag.

Options

Comments

Strumms wrote: »
    Sea cargo is super slow...

Air cargo is next day AM to the majority of Europe and USA... air cargo is about speed....not value... There is high value computer parts, aircraft parts.... legal documents, retail purchases, all using air cargo because its efficient and fast,,,

Still most international freight is sea. Speed rarely matters for most supply chains. You just update at a steady pace. Anyway Ryanair isn’t freight.

No. Some parts of the U2 company moved to Holland. No human can do that unless they actually move to live there and actually live there.

Source?

Who says where he lives? He's constantly on the move.

Artist exemption was amended in 2015 it seems. Now its per artistic item

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/income-and-employment/artists-exemption/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/income-and-employment/artists-exemption/index.aspx

That pretty much means the entire income from Pop will be tax free so:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

mrh1974 wrote: »
    do you wish to share the facts or is this just one those silly insulting slurs that muddy the waters of sensible debate about the environment?

Ryanair Europe’s 7th biggest carbon polluter last year as aviation emissions continued to grow (2019). It's sitting 7th inbetween all the Euro power plants.

basill wrote: »
    That pretty much means the entire income from Pop will be tax free so:)

If you have a good accountant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

fvp4 wrote: »
    I’ll definitely take the fact that he’s been occasionally spotted in Monaco as proof that he lives there most of the year.
    that is what it usually means tho ...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Bono has been spotted in Monaco a few times over the years. You need to be living in Ireland for 183 days of the income tax year to be tax docomlied here, so if he's living down in Monaco, then he's not paying income tax or capital gains tax to any government.

His place is in France, about 20 minutes drive from the Monaco border.......... Eze-Sur-Mer.

For tax reasons you have to be registered somewhere. Bono is mostly here anyway. If he wasn’t here for 183 days he’d still probably be taxed here.

It was never one million anytime.

Strumms wrote: »
    His place is in France, about 20 minutes drive from the Monaco border.......... Eze-Sur-Mer.

His main place is in Dalkey. France is no kind of tax haven. I think the edge might be resident in New York. Larry Mullen also lives here.

I don’t even like Bono but the nonsense people talk about tax is just beyond belief. He’s apparently living in Holland, France and gets a 1M exemption in Ireland where he doesn’t live at all, despite the house being here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Magno_DT wrote: »
    I fly Aer Lingus but I believe I can do that only because Ryanair exist and keep Aer Lingus on their toes. God only knows what Aer Lingus would be charging us these days if it weren't for Ryanair's crazy low prices.
    Tippman24 wrote: »
    If Aer Lingus did not have the competition on their own doorstep we would be charged a kings ransom to travel. I saw an interview once with somebody from Aer Lingus's PR Dept about the high fares to go to London. She advised that these were to subsidise the North American flights. Therefore that business of crossing the North Atlantic must have been be a hugh loss maker at the time. If no Ryanair, we would be fed a daily dose of b
    t of this being an island and not economic to have cheap fares.

If travelling myself, if the flights between Aer Lingus and Ryanair have a difference of about €40 i will usually take Aer Lingus.

Aer Lingus are not the only ones who have a history of high fares. A niece of mine was coming home for xmas a few years ago from Toronto. Air Canada fare was €500 greater than Aer Lingus (return). The only difference between the flights was that Air Canada went Toronto/Heathrow/Dublin and Aer Lingus was Toronto/Chicago/Dublin.

My first flight was in 1996 as a 12yo Unaccompanied Minor with my sister to Frankfurt-Main from Dublin with EI code-share with Lufthansa.

It cost £370, EACH return iirc. Thank Christ my German uncle was wealthy.

Imagine what that would have been like if the likes of Ryanair didn't come to revolutionise the market.

That being said, if it wasn't for the State, Ryanair would have gone to the wall in 89. So you know, you win some, you lose some.

One thing to credit Ryanair with is the fact that they still HQ in Dublin and are a genuinely Irish company paying Irish taxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

There is a whole lot of snobbery with Ryanair, i once booked flights to Leeds for the boss and me for a meeting there, the shock on the bosses face when I told him it was Ryanair was amazing. This guy travelled somewhere in Europe at least once a week and he told me it was his first time on a Ryanair flight.

I had to go to another meeting in Manchester, so he was to fly back on his own, I heard from his secretary that he rang her to say the return flight time didn't suit and to get him on the Aer Lingus flight at cost of about €500(on the day price)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

There is a whole lot of snobbery with Ryanair, i once booked flights to Leeds for the boss and me for a meeting there, the shock on the bosses face when I told him it was Ryanair was amazing. This guy travelled somewhere in Europe at least once a week and he told me it was his first time on a Ryanair flight.

I had to go to another meeting in Manchester, so he was to fly back on his own, I heard from his secretary that he rang her to say the return flight time didn't suit and to get him on the Aer Lingus flight at cost of about €500(on the day price)

To be honest I fly for work all the time(before covid) and will use other airlines if possible.

When I am paying myself I have no problem using Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,782 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's fine when you understand and play by their rulebook, it's a fcuking bus with wings, just don't have unrealistic expectations of getting your steamer trunk on board for free and a foot massage from an air hostess.
    Put on the headphones and it's a reasonably tolerable experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mrh1974

www.endcoal.org

"The burning of coal is responsible for 46% of carbon dioxide emissions worldwide and accounts for 72% of total greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from the electricity sector"

worldwide aviation is I think about 3%.

Mainland China has the greatest number of coal-fired power stations of any nation in the world. As of 2021, there were 1,082 operational coal power plants in the country. This was nearly four times the number of such power stations in India, which ranked second. China accounts for over 50 percent of the total global coal electricity generation.

So I'm going to maintain its nonsense to suggest Mr O'Leary is more responsible than all the coal stations in China.

For tax reasons you have to be registered somewhere. Bono is mostly here anyway. If he wasn’t here for 183 days he’d still probably be taxed here.

It was never one million anytime.

What's your basis for that statement? You are SUPPOSED to be registered somewhere. How many seaman are paying Irish tax?

Again, that's your opinion. Now its actually worse because Bono can effectively not pay any tax

Kinda proves that there a difference in service doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

ineedeuro wrote: »
    To be honest I fly for work all the time(before covid) and will use other airlines if possible.

When I am paying myself I have no problem using Ryanair.

I used to do the same myself as T2 is nicer and i got those Aer lingus points and Lounge. But the flights to Leeds were scare and i think he cost himself a 3-4 hours by waiting to get the Aer lingus flight, but maybe he just wanted to top up his points total.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,928 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

O'Leary is an insufferable cunt, for sure, and Ryanair is the last on my list of carriers to go anywhere. But they do have their part to play and their impact on competition is fairly welcome.

However the most astonishing thing to me is, when one considers all of the terrible conditions that the staff of Ryanair have to operate within, that there hasn't been a major crash involving one of their aircraft yet.

His main place is in Dalkey. France is no kind of tax haven. I think the edge might be resident in New York. Larry Mullen also lives here.

I don’t even like Bono but the nonsense people talk about tax is just beyond belief. He’s apparently living in Holland, France and gets a 1M exemption in Ireland where he doesn’t live at all, despite the house being here.

I have a house in Spain. So what? Bono has multiple properties all over the world so his tax residency is unknown despite your claims.

The artist tax limit was previously unlimited. It was only after being reduced to 250k that Bono and the boys moved to Holland. (https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2018/0321/948963-the-trouble-with-bono/). My apologies for the wrong amount. Its now only more than then average income.

Fyi, Bono has apparently not claimed the tax exemption (https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/information-about-revenue/statistics/other-datasets/artist-exemption.aspx) between 2017 and 2021. So has he voluntarily paid more tax than he should or that he has not paid tax in Ireland?

Tony EH wrote: »
    O'Leary is an insufferable cunt, for sure, and Ryanair is the last on my list of carriers to go anywhere. But they do have their part to play and their impact on competition is fairly welcome.

However the most astonishing thing to me is, when one considers all of the terrible conditions that the staff of Ryanair have to operate within, that there hasn't been a major crash involving one of their aircraft yet.

That's really the maintenance crew which is an external company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The service part of the industry isn’t regulated.

The maintenance is, they physically cannot get away with taking shortcuts on maintenance because if the Irish Aviation Authority or whatever state regulatory agency at whatever airport, want to jump on board, talk to the pilots, engineers, ask questions, inspect the aircraft, tech log they will, do, and can...if the crew / staff so much as put any roadblocks in their way, flight plan gets cancelled... nobody going anywhere.. more long term companywide consequences too...

The same regulatory bodies turn up at maintenance hangers, doing spot checks, again on paperwork, processes, staff training records..safety etc.. it wouldn’t and couldn’t pay Ryanair to scrimp on safety, because big brother is watching and makes sure they cannot. Plus if that was to get out ‘Ryanair cheap but unsafe’ nobody is flying Ryanair...

Nobody cares if the food is shîte, scratch cards are a rip off or the seats on X airline are more comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The last time I flew with Ryanair was for a cousin's wedding in Portugal in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Em no it's not, all Ryanair bases have Ryanair employed engineering, if an aircraft goes tech out of base they usually fly in engineers on the next available flight and if no flight they go on the Learjet express

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

No it's not.
    https://careers.ryanair.com/engineering/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

mrh1974 wrote: »
    www.endcoal.org

"The burning of coal is responsible for 46% of carbon dioxide emissions worldwide and accounts for 72% of total greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from the electricity sector"

worldwide aviation is I think about 3%.

Mainland China has the greatest number of coal-fired power stations of any nation in the world. As of 2021, there were 1,082 operational coal power plants in the country. This was nearly four times the number of such power stations in India, which ranked second. China accounts for over 50 percent of the total global coal electricity generation.

So I'm going to maintain its nonsense to suggest Mr O'Leary is more responsible than all the coal stations in China.

But he's the 7th biggest polluter in Europe (in 2019). China is... well, China, no controlling them. But the 7th biggest is Europe is a bit worrying in fairness. I agree with your statement against the original posters statement, but they're still one of the biggest out there (in Europe).

I think Ryanair are like fast fashion. It's not necessary, but people flock to it to save a few euro to spend on knock off designer whatever in whichever country they're flying to. Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So many people (friends family and acquaintances) have told me they will never fly Ryanair again after their despicable behaviour over the last year.

People are so angry at Ryanair and the likes of that thick o Leary are oblivious to it all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Jizique

So many people (friends family and acquaintances) have told me they will never fly Ryanair again after their despicable behaviour over the last year.

People are so angry at Ryanair and the likes of that thick o Leary are oblivious to it all

Ryanair didn’t close down all international travel; look at our government instead perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭enricoh

Meh, people were spouting the same about keelings last year after flying their pickers in.
    It's just a business fighting it's corner.

Love them or hate them Ireland will suffer a decline in tourists if Ryanair pull flights out of Ireland. I know tourism + hospitality are low paid industries but they keep a lot of people off the dole, especially in areas other jobs are scarce.

If Ryanair is e150 to Malaga and aer lingus is double it most people's ethics go out the window!!

billie1b wrote: »
    Em no it's not, all Ryanair bases have Ryanair employed engineering, if an aircraft goes tech out of base they usually fly in engineers on the next available flight and if no flight they go on the Learjet express
    ineedeuro wrote: »

Maybe, just maybe you two should read your own links fully in future:

"Each of our third party service providers are now hiring in the following locations:

Ireland – Ryanair
    UK – AES
    Germany – Ryanair Engineering GMBH
    Italy, Greece & Cyprus – South East Aviation Services (SEAS)
    Spain, Portugal & Morocco – JC Aircraft Maintenance
    Scotland – Prestwick Aircraft Maintenance Ltd (PAMS)
    Lithuania – Kaunas Aircraft Maintenance Services (KAMS)
    Poland – Wroclaw Aircraft Maintenance Services (WAMS)
    Austria/Vienna – Aircraft Maintenance GmbH (DMAM)"

"Maintenance is carried out in four of our bases across Europe:
    Prestwick, UK
    Kaunas, Lithuania
    Wroclaw, Poland
    Seville, Spain"

Heavy maintenance is not carried out in Ireland, the only country where they employ their own maintenance crews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Maybe, just maybe you two should read your own links:

"Each of our third party service providers are now hiring in the following locations"

All run by a Ryanair management team on site and on Ryanair contracts

Advertisement