Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micheal O' Leary: What a fu-cking whinge bag.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Skyscanner has flights from Toronto to Vancouver listed from €59, which is a 5 hour (3361km) flight. 1000km further than Dublin to Warsaw.

553347.png

These are Covid prices. Non essential travel between provinces in Canada is currently banned.
    Airline ticket costs within USA and Canada are most definitely higher than those in Europe during normal times. We honestly don't know how good we've had it.

Your 9.99 Stansted 6am flight will have a few onboard sometimes and if you look up youtube clips, the fights do seem to be on Ryanair flights mainly.
    When you have 450 plus aircraft you will have more potential for this to happen. Vs 50 or so for Aer Lingus.

IngazZagni wrote: »
    These are Covid prices. Non essential travel between provinces in Canada is currently banned.
    Airline ticket costs within USA and Canada are most definitely higher than those in Europe during normal times. We honestly don't know how good we've had it.

covid prices in europe as well. they remain the same.

covid prices in europe as well. they remain the same.

Same prices as when? I could get multiple €10 fares in June from Dublin if I wanted. That's unheard of in June pre Covid.

Same prices as when? I could get multiple €10 fares in June from Dublin if I wanted. That's unheard of in June pre Covid.

Its not really. Depends where you want to go.

I travel monthly because of family / work commitments and the routes I use have seen marginal changes.

The main difference is that the cheap option remained closer to the time than normal but price wise, Ryanair and Aer Lingus are running similar to usual

I still don't know how they do it. It actually costs more in tax for Ryanair to fly you to the UK than the tenner so they are losing money in tax before you add the fuel, staff and everything else.

I guess usually it's the €300 fares they charge close in with high demand.

• Advertisement

I still don't know how they do it. It actually costs more in tax for Ryanair to fly you to the UK than the tenner so they are losing money in tax before you add the fuel, staff and everything else.

I guess usually it's the €300 fares they charge close in with high demand.

it will cost more if they dont fill the slots. theres penalties for not fulfilling their side of the deal

they sell the tenner seats until the alloted slot requirements and costs are met and then its into profit.

They also charge for all the extras remember. Most people do the priority now and book seats. Yeah, quick run to London I dont care about the middle and Im travelling light. Going further and with a bag and I cough up

it will cost more if they dont fill the slots. theres penalties for not fulfilling their side of the deal

they sell the tenner seats until the alloted slot requirements and costs are met and then its into profit.

They also charge for all the extras remember. Most people do the priority now and book seats. Yeah, quick run to London I dont care about the middle and Im travelling light. Going further and with a bag and I cough up

Slot requirements have been waived I believe this summer and as long as they cancel more than 2 weeks in advance then the EU261 doesn't apply.
    They cancel loads of flights a month in advance as the pandemic continues but keep a fair few.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

riewomann wrote: »
    This is the way it should be. We should not be jetting off to Lisbon "for the weekend" (pre covid I know).

People should not be free to fly halfway around the world for for €500 quid.

The aviation industry needs to be taxed into oblivion.

Want to go to Portugal? Yeah next sailing is tomorrow morning at 8, bring a book.

Go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

Ireland emits 0.1% of world total

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_carbon_dioxide_emissions

Coal seam fires worldwide emit 3%, most of it in China. So the coal that doesn't even make it to the power plant aready emits a lot more

Some of Ryanair's emmissions probably fall under UK but that whole country is still only emits 1% of total.

This auld squabbling over people taking a few flights or perhaps deciding to buy a car with a 6 litre engine doesn't even register on the scale. We could all decide to go on 5 foreign holidays a year and start driving Aston Martins and it would make feck all difference to EU emissions, in the long run it won't even stop the downward trend of Ireland's emissions because all the old fuel burning power plants are being phased out and these cause the bulk of our emissions.

Yep all the while China and India opening up new coal-fired power stations.

Not a good excuse for turning ordinary Irish people into neo-serfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I bet the op wouldn't say that to his face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

growleaves wrote: »
    Yep all the while China and India opening up new coal-fired power stations.

Not a good excuse for turning ordinary Irish people into neo-serfs.

Ah but they have to ""develop their economy"" god love them, the poor craythurs.

Slot requirements have been waived I believe this summer and as long as they cancel more than 2 weeks in advance then the EU261 doesn't apply.
    They cancel loads of flights a month in advance as the pandemic continues but keep a fair few.

I mean under normal circumstances obviously.

Eu261 is a completely separate thing to their agreements with the airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I bet the op wouldn't say that to his face.

Why, is O Leary going to have him whacked?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I don't think Michael would care about what is said about him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

What has he said to deserve this thread now?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mrh1974

Michael O'Leary has probably done more damage to our environment than all the coal burning power plants in China combined

do you wish to share the facts or is this just one those silly insulting slurs that muddy the waters of sensible debate about the environment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

This is the way it should be. We should not be jetting off to Lisbon "for the weekend" (pre covid I know).

People should not be free to fly halfway around the world for for €500 quid.

The aviation industry needs to be taxed into oblivion.

Want to go to Portugal? Yeah next sailing is tomorrow morning at 8, bring a book.

Does your recommendation apply to cargo flights too? Yeah tax them into oblivion and see how you like paying a grand for a pair of 10 euro imported flip-flops.

Want to send a birthday card to your niece in Australia with a few quid inside? That'll cost you 300 quid or you can send it via freight ship. She'll get it just in time for her next birthday.

Does your recommendation apply to cargo flights too? Yeah tax them into oblivion and see how you like paying a grand for a pair of 10 euro imported flip-flops.

That’s mostly sea cargo isn’t it? Big huge containers. Air freight is for already expensive items that need to get to market quick. The original launch of iPhones for instance but not later versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭enricoh

Other than allowing countless millions of working class people to see the world...create tens of thousands of jobs...generated billions into the Irish economy and demolished the Union and Management Cushy Number at Aer Lingus and Aer Rinta ripping off the Irish nation for generations.

yeah, he hasn't risen to your level of perfection yet.

Pays his taxes in Ireland too, unlike geldof n Bono while preaching to us to do more at the same time!

• Advertisement

enricoh wrote: »
    Pays his taxes in Ireland too, unlike geldof n Bono while preaching to us to do more at the same time!

Bono almost certainly pays personal taxes here. Geldof doesn’t live here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,903 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

fvp4 wrote: »
    That’s mostly sea cargo isn’t it? Big huge containers. Air freight is for already expensive items that need to get to market quick. The original launch of iPhones for instance but not later versions.

Sea cargo is super slow...

Air cargo is next day AM to the majority of Europe and USA... air cargo is about speed....not value... There is high value computer parts, aircraft parts.... legal documents, retail purchases, all using air cargo because its efficient and fast,,,

Bono almost certainly pays personal taxes here. Geldof doesn’t live here.

Wasn't be declared as a Dutch resident?

(And artists don't pay income tax on the first million)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The Mike as publicity genius angle is always a bit dodgy and hard to quantify.

I've a feeling the company is successful as much despite his utterances and persona as because of it.

They're successful because they were the first to see a market gap for a brutally no frills product, upselling and an iron fist on costs and workers that's popular with a large segment of the market who don't mind a bit of inconvenience if it means saving a few quid and why not.

I would imagine when they can't offer that to that market, all the media shtetalk in the world won't amount to much.

I avoid flying them if I can possibly avoid ity for a range of personal reasons but no strong feelings one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I think the U2 company or similar is registered offshore but they pay personal income tax here.

And if so, I'd hazard a guess its a lot more than most of us pay put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Bono has been spotted in Monaco a few times over the years. You need to be living in Ireland for 183 days of the income tax year to be tax docomlied here, so if he's living down in Monaco, then he's not paying income tax or capital gains tax to any government.

*reads title*

*TABLESLAM* YES! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tippman24

If Aer Lingus did not have the competition on their own doorstep we would be charged a kings ransom to travel. I saw an interview once with somebody from Aer Lingus's PR Dept about the high fares to go to London. She advised that these were to subsidise the North American flights. Therefore that business of crossing the North Atlantic must have been be a hugh loss maker at the time. If no Ryanair, we would be fed a daily dose of b
    t of this being an island and not economic to have cheap fares.

If travelling myself, if the flights between Aer Lingus and Ryanair have a difference of about €40 i will usually take Aer Lingus.

Aer Lingus are not the only ones who have a history of high fares. A niece of mine was coming home for xmas a few years ago from Toronto. Air Canada fare was €500 greater than Aer Lingus (return). The only difference between the flights was that Air Canada went Toronto/Heathrow/Dublin and Aer Lingus was Toronto/Chicago/Dublin.

No. Some parts of the U2 company moved to Holland. No human can do that unless they actually move to live there and actually live there.

Source?

• Advertisement

Bono has been spotted in Monaco a few times over the years. You need to be living in Ireland for 183 days of the income tax year to be tax docomlied here, so if he's living down in Monaco, then he's not paying income tax or capital gains tax to any government.

I’ll definitely take the fact that he’s been occasionally spotted in Monaco as proof that he lives there most of the year.

Advertisement