Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you just don't get...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

riclad wrote: »
    amazon destroying returned ipads, laptops etc
    could they not donate em to charity,
    NFTS ,People paying 50k for a piece of art on the blockchain.
    Its like bicoin, it bad for the environment too.
    you can download images and print em out for free .
    i think thats modern life, anyone can say anything is art.

Money laundering is rife in the art world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I don't get people who are the opposite. The people who go to work every day, year after year, hate their job, constantly complain about their employer, their role, and just so negative.

They make zero effort to get an alternative job or change things at all.

I'm not talking about people who are in a role while trying to change things etc but those who cannot see anything good about being there and voice their negativity all the time. I work with one such person and is draining.

Yeah, I don't know how you could do some utterly miserable job in a banking corporation or the civil service for 40-50 years of your life.

Life is too short to do something you hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

razorblunt wrote: »
    Money laundering is rife in the art world.

In crypto too.

The tide is turning…

Why people who can potentially earn more elsewhere, become politicians.

For example, Leo. He could earn significantly more as a doctor working 5 x 1/2 days, yet he spends his time listening to b1thching and moaning and his constituents wanting him to sort out his free travel pass.

While spending his weekends going to media commitments, commemorations and various other functions.

I get why half of the Dáil do it - because they can't earn any more anywhere else and probably get an orgasm sorting out somebody's medical card, or generally love the power and influence they have which they wouldn't have otherwise in their rural existence working in the local mart or something.

But why solicitors, barristers, doctors, etc do it, when all can earn significantly more elsewhere - I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

POWER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Why people who can potentially earn more elsewhere, become politicians.

For example, Leo. He could earn significantly more as a doctor working 5 x 1/2 days, yet he spends his time listening to b1thching and moaning and his constituents wanting him to sort out his free travel pass.

While spending his weekends going to media commitments, commemorations and various other functions.

I get why half of the Dáil do it - because they can't earn any more anywhere else and probably get an orgasm sorting out somebody's medical card, or generally love the power and influence they have which they wouldn't have otherwise in their rural existence working in the local mart or something.

But why solicitors, barristers, doctors, etc do it, when all can earn significantly more elsewhere - I don't get it.

are you having a laugh? the salary for a taoiseach is over 200K. there is no way he would be earning that money as a young GP.

are you having a laugh? the salary for a taoiseach is over 200K. there is no way he would be earning that money as a young GP.

He's not that young you know....

He's not that young you know....

not that long qualified as a gp if i remember correctly. 200K+ is top consultant money and leo is nowhere near that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭randd1

How people get so worked up about a celebrity that they devote their lives to following them, and completely ignore any possible negative aspects of them.

The recent Brittany Spears thing, Michael Jackson before that, and others.

Are these people mental?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

All this rainbow Shiite we've had to suffer for the last few years, it seems never ending. Every other day is some sort of rainbow/pride day and now we have EUFA having to defend a decision not illuminate the stadium in munich in rainbow colours for the Germany -v- Hungary game as it would be seen to be a political statement rather than an inclusive one, which I agree with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭randd1

All this rainbow Shiite we've had to suffer for the last few years, it seems never ending. Every other day is some sort of rainbow/pride day and now we have EUFA having to defend a decision not illuminate the stadium in munich in rainbow colours for the Germany -v- Hungary game as it would be seen to be a political statement rather than an inclusive one, which I agree with.
    Who cares about the rainbow thing, really? It doesn't affect any of us seeing a rainbow flag anywhere, and if it did affect you that much, then you're inevitably the one with the problem.

The rainbow flag is just a flag and nothing to get worked up over. At the very least it adds a bit of colour to things. So what if people want to show support to gay people? Most of us have family, friends or a neighbour who are LGBT, what difference is a flag

The idea that every LGBT person is a victim and persecuted because they're LGBT as peddled by some groups is a bit over the top, as is this notion most people are still uncomfortable being around LGBT people, especially when you know yourself that you could care less either way. And such things are peddled in some LGBT quarters, and might annoy some. Nobody likes a constant whiner, or being labelled something they know they're not. Thankfully in society these days being LGBT is down the list of what makes a person who they are, and going further down every year.

But the rainbow thing? What harm is it doing really, it's just a colourful flag celebrating a small cohort of our family, friends and neighbours. What harm?

not that long qualified as a gp if i remember correctly. 200K+ is top consultant money and leo is nowhere near that.

Well he's out long enough that he'd probably be earning close enough to it....but even still, work 5 days, switch off, or listen to Mary Lou and the like all week, then spend weekends going here there and everywhere, I know which I'm picking!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

randd1 wrote: »
    How people get so worked up about a celebrity that they devote their lives to following them, and completely ignore any possible negative aspects of them.

The recent Brittany Spears thing, Michael Jackson before that, and others.

Are these people mental?

What's the Britney spears thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Why are only pensioners with big houses are forced to downsize and not tiny families/couples in houses far too big for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Why are only pensioners with big houses are forced to downsize

Are they?

Antares35 wrote: »
    Are they?

They are the only demographic being chattered about and earmarked for "right sizing" to use another bland office-speak inspired phrase.

They are the only demographic being chattered about and earmarked for "right sizing" to use another bland office-speak inspired phrase.

earmarked by who? you talk as if they will be forced to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

In crypto too.

Yeah, interestingly McAfee was saying the Feds were chasing him as they thought he had "hidden crypto".

razorblunt wrote: »
    Yeah, interestingly McAfee was saying the Feds were chasing him as they thought he had "hidden crypto".

the feds were chasing him because he was earning millions and getting paid in crypto so he could avoid the IRS.

Because they're easy to identify.

Ok computer, give me the names and addresses of everyone in receipt of a state pension and the living alone allowance.

• Advertisement

earmarked by who? you talk as if they will be forced to move.

Have you been living in a cave?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Forcing people to vacate from their own private property is the logical end point of the 'right to housing' movement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I'd heard talk about it alright, and the empty room tax that was floated, just didn't think it had grown legs as such.

Have you been living in a cave?

It's hard to keep up with all the governmental kite flying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Why are only pensioners with big houses are forced to downsize and not tiny families/couples in houses far too big for them?
    Antares35 wrote: »
    I'd heard talk about it alright, and the empty room tax that was floated, just didn't think it had grown legs as such.

I don't think it has. At the moment, the talk is about incentives for older people to downsize, not forcing people out of their houses, and also not taxing empty rooms. Yet.

I'm sure younger small families and couples are not being included because there is a chance that there might be additions (so long as the female doesn't drink alcohol until she's 50. :pac:).

I don't think it has. At the moment, the talk is about incentives for older people to downsize, not forcing people out of their houses, and also not taxing empty rooms. Yet.

I'm sure younger small families and couples are not being included because there is a chance that there might be additions (so long as the female doesn't drink alcohol until she's 50. :pac:).

Umm other than being borderline insulting to older people where are they supposed to downsize to?...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Tds earn more than doctors plus they get large pensions. Working in a bank is better than retail . People need to pay a mortgage. Most jobs are boring. Most people are not actors, pop stars or Comedians.
    Why do people get a degree. In order to get a high salary.
    I don't think the average person loves their job.
    The average office job is not that interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Tds earn more than doctors plus they get large pensions. Working in a bank is better than retail . People need to pay a mortgage. Most jobs are boring. Most people are not actors, pop stars or Comedians.
    Why do people get a degree. In order to get a high salary.
    I don't think the average person loves their job.
    The average office job is not that interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dickdasr1234

Sakana wrote: »
    Cash is also coated with all kinds of bacteria and filth.
    Who would do something like that? What is the coating made from? Is it waterproof? How do they put it on? Is that how we got Covid? Oh my gawwwd...

• Advertisement

Who would do something like that? What is the coating made from? Is it waterproof? How do they put it on? Is that how we got Covid? Oh my gawwwd...

I have vague recollections of a report on a certain denomination uk bank note, and the proportion of them that contain traces of cocaine, and another on US (I think) notes that had some sort of hepatitis contamination (possibly from being stuck up people's noses). Both were years ago, hence the vagueness and possibility of being wrong. I'm too lazy to Google either of them.

Advertisement