Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees removed without my permission.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Redchick

Shouldn't this be in the legal discussion forum?

I wasn't too sure when I started the thread, but did put in a line asking admin to move if it was in the wrong Discussion forum. Or do I need to move it myself?

So it's now day four of no privacy, they didn't even have the respect to put up a temporary screen.

Concrete foundation poured for the new wall and no obvious encroachment onto my property. Just makes the absolute ignorance and willfull distruction of a lovely piece of nature even more abhorrent. Most of the trees that were pulled down would not have been near the wall, they were well established and grew towards our garden. Grrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Redchick wrote: »
    So it's now day four of no privacy, they didn't even have the respect to put up a temporary screen.

Concrete foundation poured for the new wall and no obvious encroachment onto my property. Just makes the absolute ignorance and willfull distruction of a lovely piece of nature even more abhorrent. Most of the trees that were pulled down would not have been near the wall, they were well established and grew towards our garden. Grrrrr

I'm not defending them by a long way but a temporary screen is a non runner and roots needed clearing for the foundations. Don't over think it and stick to the basic offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,165 ✭✭✭✭looksee

So if they have acknowledged the boundary with the wall (presumably in line with the pillar of the side wall?) then they are acknowledging they pulled down 'your' hedge?

Either you make up your mind to pursue them for criminal damage (just going on from a previous comment, I have no idea if that is a legal thing, your solicitor would know) or you decide you don't want the hassle and replant a hedge your side of the wall. That is a decision you have to make, but for your peace of mind you have to decide one way or the other or it will continue to fester and annoy you.

The hedge is gone, and it is disgraceful, but you can only decide to fight, or leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SheepFarmer

Can I ask what length and height was the hedge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

It may be i missed it but where are the housed in relation to each other?
    I had assumed they were side by side but it seems this is not the case.
    I think you are in a position to have a say in the height of the wall if they looking in on your property...

The new wall will be 2mtrs. Roots in the way or not they should have spoken to us, can't just take down trees from someone else's property without permission.

The old hedge was about 14mtrs long and probably 8-10mtrs high.

Trying to charge him with criminal damage seems like a lot of effort and energy wasted - I don't like conflict and feel that it's a major drain and not worth it in the long run. I've decided to ask solr to write to them and request that they replant and see what happens from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭standardg60

The new wall will be 2mtrs. Roots in the way or not they should have spoken to us, can't just take down trees from someone else's property without permission.

The old hedge was about 14mtrs long and probably 8-10mtrs high.

Trying to charge him with criminal damage seems like a lot of effort and energy wasted - I don't like conflict and feel that it's a major drain and not worth it in the long run. I've decided to ask solr to write to them and request that they replant and see what happens from that.

If the foundation has gone in in the correct position i would just let it go now OP.
    Looking at the pics again certainly one tree had to go anyway and the others would probably not have survived having their roots severed digging the foundation.
    Look on the bright side, once the wall goes up you won't have to deal with them again, and you can decide what you want to replant, maybe more manageable stuff like hawthorn, guelder rose, shrub rose etc.
    You don't know what may be planted if you get them to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭wildwillow

You will have to live with it and you don't want to start poor relations with our neighbour. It does give you an opportunity to plant something more suitable and manageable.

But I would be looking for the cost of replanting from the neighbour. He should have spoken to you and is guilty of trespass and damaging your property.

If you replant consider a mixed native hedge, adding flowering and fruiting plants which will attract the birds and add a whole new dimension to your garden

Wildwillow and Standardg60 yes you are both right. 100% he knew that was our property and yes the 2 leylandi definitely had to come down, but if he had come to speak to us and discussed it things would have been far easier.

I have planted a pyracantha hedge already which. Will have berries and flowers during diffent seasons and will offer nice hidey holes for birds once they grow larger. I love the planting suggestions people have given here and will take some of them for sure.

Once again I just want to thank eryone who has taken the time to comment with advice or share their own experiences, it's truly appreciated and has helped me deal with the whole situation. Boardies are a super bunch of people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Wildwillow and Standardg60 yes you are both right. 100% he knew that was our property and yes the 2 leylandi definitely had to come down, but if he had come to speak to us and discussed it things would have been far easier.

What a lovely neighborly thing to do, removing leylandi for you without charge, i hope you buy them a gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

To be honest, two leylandi are no great loss and were no huge benefit to wildlife or diversity. It gives a chance to grow more nature friendly species.

Ye must've missed most of the posts but 2 leylandi were only a minor part of the hedge, and yeah he deserves a pint or two for getting rid of them��.
    But I'm sure those comments weren't meant to minimise the impact of his actions and the removal of around 10 other more diverse and wildlife beneficial trees!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

What a lovely neighborly thing to do, removing leylandi for you without charge, i hope you buy them a gift.

You can't just go on to other people's properties and cut down trees without permission.. Even if you think they don't like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yeah, if you just went out next week and removed his new wall I'm sure he'd be thrilled

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Yeah, if you just went out next week and removed his new wall I'm sure he'd be thrilled

Hahaha for sure, he'd probs buy me a couple of pints in return!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

I’m really amazed at the people who think destroying other people’s property without their permission is acceptable.

It may “just” be uncultivated hedgerow but it’s under massive threat in Ireland. Proportionately speaking, it’s probably being destroyed at a faster rate than the rainforest. I know in my own area I would say 50% of the roadside/in farm hedgerow has been destroyed over the past few years.

We have every power to do something about it but prefer to close our eyes and accept the excuse of the day: pretty walls, more efficient farming, electricity line clearing, road safety, etc. just about any excuse is good enough.

A recent example. There are a few ESB lines running through some land in the family. They come every couple of years to trim branches near the lines. Well this year they just cut about 20 mature trees (probably 30-40 years old) without asking any permission or anything. Some weren’t anywhere close to the lines.

I’ve thought about it quite a bit and just conclude that a lot has to do with people with chainsaws and equipment needing jobs and justifying their existence. Of course in some cases trees or hedgerow need to be removed, but it could be some more considerately, at the appropriate time of year, without wrecking everything else around, etc.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,066 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Paint your side of the wall green.

beertons wrote: »
    Paint your side of the wall green.

Ah if I was gonna go to that bother I'd paint a nice mural.

embraer170 wrote: »
    I’m really amazed at the people who think destroying other people’s property without their permission is acceptable.

It may “just” be uncultivated hedgerow but it’s under massive threat in Ireland. Proportionately speaking, it’s probably being destroyed at a faster rate than the rainforest. I know in my own area I would say 50% of the roadside/in farm hedgerow has been destroyed over the past few years.

We have every power to do something about it but prefer to close our eyes and accept the excuse of the day: pretty walls, more efficient farming, electricity line clearing, road safety, etc. just about any excuse is good enough.

A recent example. There are a few ESB lines running through some land in the family. They come every couple of years to trim branches near the lines. Well this year they just cut about 20 mature trees (probably 30-40 years old) without asking any permission or anything. Some weren’t anywhere close to the lines.

I’ve thought about it quite a bit and just conclude that a lot has to do with people with chainsaws and equipment needing jobs and justifying their existence. Of course in some cases trees or hedgerow need to be removed, but it could be some more considerately, at the appropriate time of year, without wrecking everything else around, etc.

Well I guess it's hard to speak up if you think no one is listening. Unfortunately the law often seems to favour the perpetrator in that it's not enforced to its extent for one reason or another.

• Advertisement

embraer170 wrote: »

Your friend should contact the ESB about this as this is not on.
    I had a minor incident a few years ago, i complained and a guy called to see me.
    He offered to tidy up and basically said he would do whatever i wanted.
    I did not ask for compensation though i did say if i was offered some free electricty i would accept.
    It was pretty minor incident, i knew the guy that called and am friendly with him, i gave him tea a bit of cake and that was end of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,916 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Your friend should contact the ESB about this as this is not on.
    I had a minor incident a few years ago, i complained and a guy called to see me.
    He offered to tidy up and basically said he would do whatever i wanted.
    I did not ask for compensation though i did say if i was offered some free electricty i would accept.
    It was pretty minor incident, i knew the guy that called and am friendly with him, i gave him tea a bit of cake and that was end of it...

Even if you never got a thing out of it, the ESB (or whoever) should be made aware that their agents are causing damage way beyond what's necessary, whether through laziness, or ignorance.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Even if you never got a thing out of it, the ESB (or whoever) should be made aware that their agents are causing damage way beyond what's necessary, whether through laziness, or ignorance.

free firewood for someone....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,916 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

free firewood for someone....

Or that!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Big Daddy Kane

Hi am i allowed to cut back this hedging (on my property) as it is full of thorns and also want to expand the garden.

Am I breaking any laws here?

Thanks

Hi am i allowed to cut back this hedging (on my property) as it is full of thorns and also want to expand the garden.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Thanks

no, work away

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭radia

Thanks
    Not illegal since it's just your garden. However, it would be preferable to wait until Sept (i.e. after nesting season) if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Thanks

Garden hedge ? Or a field boundary - very different rules ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Markcheese wrote: »
    Garden hedge ? Or a field boundary - very different rules ..

Garden hedge, there is a wall boundry in place.

The hedging is couple of feet in from wall (on my property)

Advertisement