Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterways Ireland boat auctions

Options
  • 13-05-2021 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭

What do ye make of this crowd?

I've had 0 dealings with them. Was at a slipway today where they were preparing to remove some old heap of sh1t from the water that was half sinking and had no engine. Great to see someone tidying the place up a bit, I thought. Fergal would do a fine job of restoring it if he got his hands on it. Do they go up for auction at some stage? incinerated perhaps?

But then someone told me that if you live in a boat you need to give them permission to come on board at any time so they can have a good gawk around at the inside and I thought that sounded very Orwellian. Is there any truth to this? What kind of a crowd are they at all?
    Post edited by fergal.b on

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

They do sell them off at auction once a year https://www.waterwaysireland.org/news-centre/news/332/shannon-harbour-vessels-for-sale the boats would have been stickered a good few times before they are lifted and the owner contacted if it is registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

I've never heard of an authorised officer coming on board for a "good gawk around". I have heard of black water tanks being checked, but that's about it.

There are bye laws regulating use on the inland waterways of Ireland, which ones you must follow depend on the waterway. They can be found at this page

The people I deal with within the organisation from top to bottom have always been very helpful and obliging.

I find that the people that have only bad things to say about WI are the people that have someway caused them trouble or ignore the byelaws because the byelaws don't suit those people and their lifestyle. The type that see no problem speeding in no wake zones, think it's fine to dump fecal matter in swimming waters, that try to turn the five day rule into a five year rule.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

924e292649e9137d8b1bcd9b5ca5ee30.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭neris

had a look through the listings last nights and some niceish looking things that would make a good project if youd the time and money

neris wrote: »
    had a look through the listings last nights and some niceish looking things that would make a good project if youd the time and money

I like this one :D

214373000_10158315550983861_8168734077497078267_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=j4NRodmeLAsAX-Nm6oU&_nc_oc=AQlL3pyVlgXTUQsVW7ZJt3ZzlbkQ9fG9M-hwWpERdWEAJnCnE__V4qXu_sM8Mvp8D-I&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=0ebb8e373673acdad72ac16d7063e242&oe=60E9D787

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

fergal.b wrote: »
    I like this one :D

214373000_10158315550983861_8168734077497078267_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=j4NRodmeLAsAX-Nm6oU&_nc_oc=AQlL3pyVlgXTUQsVW7ZJt3ZzlbkQ9fG9M-hwWpERdWEAJnCnE__V4qXu_sM8Mvp8D-I&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=0ebb8e373673acdad72ac16d7063e242&oe=60E9D787

I think it's about the best one in the auction.

The narrowboats all look a bit ropey, I know some of them have been down more times than a submarine. One (which I'll not mention) might be worth a punt, the hull supposedly an original quality build.

But I expect with this auction, the boats will go for stupid money, especially the patrol boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

God, that catalogue made for depressing viewing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Do you see anything good in there Fergal?

They all look good to me 😁 I just see a challenge in each one although my body says " touch a wooden boat again and you will die" 😬 I don't like the hoops you have to jump through to get one and the fact that you can't look inside it just adds a bit more to the gamble and might just mean the boat ends up back where it started from. Remember there is no such thing as a cheap boat, get yourself a good running engine and gearbox and work from there not the other way round.

• Advertisement
Advertisement