Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass Onion (Knives Out 2) **Spoilers from post 84**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

But surely the cinemas can just release the ticket sales?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Just got back. It's basically more Knives Out and it's wonderful. I think Daniel Craig's loving doing these. I forgot how over the top Benoit Blanc is and it's magnificent.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

This is out tomorrow on Netflix.

Just a heads up the original Knives Out is up on All4 to stream for free.

Tremendous fun. Loved the first one, and the sequel is even better. It's just a good old-fashioned whodunnit. Studios should be making more of these sorts of movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That was a whole pile of fun.

I still don't think it was worth Netflix paying $470m for it and the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I was disappointed with this one.

I absolutely adore the first one. I thought this was far too elaborate. Maybe if it wasn’t a knives out sequel I probably would have liked it better.

I didn’t find any of the characters engaging. Too convoluted, I was never sucked into the mystery of this one. No real stand out moments, The characters here hadn’t got a patch on the first film.

I generally like murder mysteries and while I did enjoy Glass Onion, It was more Death on the Nile, rather than Knives Out.

Knives Out was one of the best films ever made, Glass Onion is nothing more than an enjoyable Murder Mystery. Perfect for a watch on a rainy Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I don't think they are the best films ever made. But I think the first one was better. The second one was fun, just a simpler movie overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭steve_r

Watched it last night and found it very enjoyable. The plot itself was solid and rewarding and the pacing kept things fresh for the whole film - key points are revealed at the right time and it all flows very well.

Janelle Monae was excellent in a role that asked a lot of her.

Craig is excellent and unrecognisable from his bond character.

Rest of the cast were alright - some don't do a whole lot. Could have lived without the cameos and the celebrity references, and some of the running gags weren't great.

Good fun overall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Not great this one at all. Enjoyed the first one relatively speaking. Nothing earth-shattering by any means but was a fun take on a tired genre that at least imposed itself with a fun set of characters, with an almost whimsical flair.

This on the other hand is guilty of one of the worst foibles any genre film can be. Boring.

Craig at least seems to be enjoying himself (at least until he fades into the background), but the rest, bar Norton and a spry 10mins or so from Monáe around the midpoint, are tired and annoying which is somewhat surprising given how Johnson rallied his troops in the first effort.

Story is quite weak and perfunctory, and without an interesting cast of characters to draw on, it shows unfortunately. A struggle to finish I'm afraid, and while I'd probably appreciate another run through the first even knowing the outcome, I doubt I'd ever bother again with this. There's money up there on the screen no doubt, but there's little else of substance unfortunately.

• Advertisement

thought the first one was a bit over-rated.

this was just dumb fare.

the best part about the ending was that it was over.

a lazy indulgent hodge-podge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭amacca

I agree

It looked slick but was very underwhelming ....

I liked the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I adored Knives Out, but feel very underwhelmed by Glass Onion.

Surprised at how predictable it was. For example it was really obvious who the villain would be, who was responsible for the first death, that the gunshot was not fatal, etc etc.

Pretty much everything fell flat for me. The twin sister gimmick, meh. The magic unobtanium macguffin, meh. Everything to do with the Mona Lisa, meh. Benny Blans entire contribution to the mystery, meh.

Reminded me a lot of "Bad Times at the El Royale", another so called mystery that was all style over substance.

I'd have to say that I easily enjoyed that movie more than "Glass Onion"

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iniscealtra

Agree the cameos were a bit pointless but really enjoyed it. Great film

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

A watchable but somewhat feeble sequel, whose first hour struggles to get out of second gear. Overall, it's largely a waste of a cast you want more from and lack's the original's execution, rhythm, delightful conflict, intrigue and flair. Pick's up when Craig was on the terrace and throughout it seemed like he was on stage and enjoying it.

It was great fun , particularly Daniel Craig’s swim suit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I watched the first hour of this last night and was utterly bored. Very contrived and bad acting. I will finish it but jaysus I expected much better.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"Birdie... please tell me you did not think sweatshops are where they make sweatpants."

🤣

I really enjoyed that as pure, indulgent cinematic entertainment, even if I also appreciated the almost inevitable inferiority to the original. By all accounts though, I could happily watch more of these affable, charismatic adventures of Benoit Blanc; Craig kills it every scene and it's so nice to have a new character make such a cultural splash when we're so surrounded by existing IPs.

The cameos were fun, if indulgent, but they never overstayed their welcome. Craig and Monae made a fun pairing and I can never resist savouring these whodunnits as their layers are peeled away. That said, the ensemble was far less interesting and engaging than the original film's neurotic, eccentric family that serves as its cast.

The original Knives Out was a classic example of the Pleasant Surprise, something that exceeded expectations and kinda came out of nowhere to delight everyone. Very much a sleeper hit whose word of mouth gave it legs. So to be fair, few sequels can win in these scenarios: you either go bigger on the same idea and underwhelm, or zag in a totally different direction but risk alienating the audience. See Gremlins 2 for the prime example of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I thought it was excellent. Not sure if it tops Knives Out. The fact the actual murder happens quite late into the film means the first half feels like it's just constantly sowing the seeds for the mid-film twist rather than slowly pulling back the curtain as the film progresses. I also think we didn't get to see enough interaction between the suspects throughout like we did with the family in Knives Out.

But Craig, Monae and Norton were terrific. Craig in particular really hammed it up in parts but he's such a joy to watch in the role that it's always a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

I thought Monae was very poor before the Helen reveal, after that she/ the character improved a bit but given she was more or less the lead, I found her disappointing.

I thought Kate Hudson was fantastic / great fun. Norton underused. Craig plays Benoit well. The rest were grand.

I'm not sure if Monae is the problem or the director but she ticks too many boxes as the heroine and it was hard to believe that she became a world class murder sleuth in a night. I was unsure if she was actually Andy which would have been a great twist.

Burning the napkin was so stupid, I was feeling just stand back. Couldn't Benoit have taken the evidence or pointed out the obvious?

Also, what happened to dukes body? Was it burnt in the building? What was the point in smashing the sculptures?

What could be proved by the end? Miles -- I was disgusted with her attempt to blame me and burnt her fake note, then she blew up the house. Defense, you expect us to believe three people who are now claiming the lied under oath?

Is another outcome, 20 years in prison for the lady who destroyed the Mona Lisa? Finally, why would miles shoot Helen? There was no evidence, he had the envelope.

Still a great film to watch with someone. Benoit saying there were some simple children's puzzles to miles, very funny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: No need for spoiler tags from here on. Proceed with caution if you haven’t seen the film yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Every time someone mentions Gremlins 2, my brain automatically goes to that excellent Key & Peele skit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Glass Onion is meta Rian Johnson. He's a writer/director who likes to disrupt, just like his characters; in his case genre convention/expectations. Because it's also a piss-take of social media influencers, it's loaded with cheesy metaphors, the sub-title of the sequel being one.

Personally, the whole 'predictability' thing unraveled when I had immediately spotted

that Miles had given his own ('spiked') drink to Duke, after which Duke died

It was obvious from that point on that

the murder, and attempted murder, were at the hands of Miles

robbing the film of it's whodunnit aspect (though the specifics of the motivations had to be teased out).

I did laugh a lot with this film, and appreciated lots of clever little touches. Johnson is a very creative writer, honing his craft. As usual, he likes his complex plots, which shows how damned clever he is, though they usually miss their mark a little (except Knives Out, which was spot on). This sequel had lots of funny moments of various types, but this is a return to form with it's not-quite-nailing-it structure. With Blanc as the main ingredient of this blancmange, it's very tasty; but despite the interesting disruption of the recipe, it just doesn't quite set - or however else you want to work the metaphor of imperfection.

Overall, very enjoyable; just lots of little - and a couple of moderately-sized - niggles along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

"A silly but enjoyable romp, Daniel Craig is excellent."

furiousox Dec 2022

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 23 sherrupyew

I enjoyed this film but I'm surprised it has been so ridiculously well received. It's good fun but not as tight as the first film.

The set-up lasts a full hour and starts getting tedious, but is thankfully saved by the perspective shift that suddenly makes the film more entertaining. Janelle Monae has a fantastic screen presence and was a great complement to Daniel Craig's character.

Once that initial twist was revealed, the identity of the killer was somewhat predictable. Regardless, I liked what the film had to say about the absurdity of our "tech gods" and the spineless, parasitic relationships that exist in the world of business.

I was surprised at how much Netflix spent on this. The film relied a lot more on talking than action. The cinematography was quite unremarkable, even gaudy at times. It very much looked like a film that was "made for TV".

It was a perfect post-feast holiday watch. But it wouldn't be on my "best of" list for the year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah, I had wondered but hadn't taken the chance to check what version of events we saw when Duke took the poisoned glass; if it was the real event or not. Not spoiler texting cos Johnny U. said spoilers were ok from here.

But that to me is the beauty of a good whodunnit. Sure, the eagle eyed might spot it and draw the right conclusion, but still; good mysteries put all the clues in front of you, in plain sight, and sometimes rewards repeat viewing. Same with twist thrillers; good ones were obvious in retrospect and some will inevitably spot the moments and guess the right result.

82.1 million hours watched across the Christmas weekend apparently. That's good? Bad? I can't tell, god knows with these batty metrics cos how does that tie in with subsections? Least you know where things stand with a basic box office take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watched last night, really enjoyed it and the time flew in.

A good 2nd film in the series. As enjoyable as the first.

Advertisement