Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass Onion (Knives Out 2) **Spoilers from post 84**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,376 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 60,376 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Drops on Netflix December 23th

In cinemas from November 23th.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,410 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ryan has confirmed Benoit is gay, not that it matters in a murder mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

who is Ryan? and there had to be a reason he was able to resist Ana de Armas...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ryan Johnson, the director. JP is apparently on first-name terms lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

😁 like it..!

• Registered Users Posts: 85,410 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭delboy85

I'm looking forward to this. I loved the first one. It was great fun.

Reviews seem to be extremely positive. It has very strong numbers on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic.

It still seems like a crazy amount of money for Netflix to fork out though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Was lucky enough to catch one of the many preview screenings in the UK over the weekend. It’s a delight. It’s a ‘bigger’ sequel - everything has been heightened and exaggerated. But - in a break from tradition - that actually works. It takes a while to get there, though - the first half hour or so is a lot less elegant and focused than Knives Out’s equivalent, as it takes a long time to get to the meat of things. There are a bunch of cameos and nods to real world events too, not all of which work. But, to Johnson’s credit, a lot of the scene-setting does have purpose, and when it finally gets into the reveals and twists it’s just as entertaining, funny and wild as the original. Johnson has so much fun overloading the film with red herrings and misdirects, before gleefully revealing his true intentions. He has also spent that extra Netflix budget well - one or two slightly dodgy CG shots aside, the extravagant island setting acts as a much more intriguing and dynamic setting for the whodunnit than the manor of the first film.

It basically sticks to the same broad formula, although drawing on some notably different inspirations from the mystery genre. However, it has some great structural ideas up its sleeve and some killer rug pulls / reveals that often had the audience in stitches. The cast are a lot of fun, although to even mention who has the meatiest material (beyond Craig, of course) would spoil some of the surprises :)

It’s more Knives Out, ultimately: bigger, sillier, and just as fun despite some added messiness before getting to the really good stuff. If you have the opportunity to see it in a cinema, definitely do as it’s a great communal experience with a crowd - it’s only fitting that it is getting the biggest release of any Netflix film yet. But otherwise it’ll make for a fantastic watch with family or friends over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

“.. every film be like a whole new book, with its own tone, ambition, reason for being… ”

So this one will be less 'woke' than the original, with it's not so subtle digs at the right, and themes of privilege and immigration?

Maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A new trailer has arrived.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That trailer does a pretty good job cutting around all the surprises and reveals, so I wouldn't worry too much about spoilers.

What I would recommend before watching is checking out The Last of Sheila if you can. It's a rock-solid 70s mystery written by Anthony Perkins (yes, that one) and Stephen Sondheim (yes, also that one!) that's clearly Johnson's most obvious point of reference for Glass Onion. Unfortunately, it's annoyingly unavailable on any of the main platforms in Ireland, but it has had various releases over the years so it is out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,214 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It seems a bit mad that netflix are only putting it in the cinema for a week here...definitely want to check it out!

Netflix seem to want to go REALLY big on it as their Christmas movie, so maybe that's why they're trying to limit it? Going by Kermode & Mayo, media isn't even allowed to run any interviews with Johnson and the cast until it's about to hit Netflix.

There have been times in the past where Netflix have given something a 'limited' run in cinemas only for it to stick around indefinitely when it has clearly been a success (see: The Irishman). Hard to say whether that'll happen here, but they are pushing the 'one week only' thing and screenings do seem to be getting cut off from this day next week.

Interesting tactic to basically prevent any media promotion 'til it came on Netflix; pretty aggressive tactic all round, and obviously a desire to maximise the eyeballs on the film when it appears on the service.

One thing's for certain, I believe it was said Johnson would make 100 million from this Netflix deal? He has absolutely made away like a bandit on this - couldn't be happier for him after the bullshít he endured in the wake of the Last Jedi "fan" backlash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So it looks like it might be decent then. There's a cinema nearby but there are barely any showings for it. I'm a bit wrecked but tempted to see it tonight.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I just saw it. The first one had a small scale elegant focused structure which the sequel is lacking. But it is still enormous and outrageous fun and it is clear Daniel Craig is having a blast. A few other cast members are afforded very meaty roles too, and are quite captivating, but to say who would be close to spoiler territory.

My only nit pick is that things go a bit haywire in the final 10 minutes or so which didn't entirely work for me but that is just a minor criticism especially when the journey up to that point was outstanding by everyone in front of and behind the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It's excellent, I might actually prefer it to Knives Out. The cast is great and they're clearly having so much fun. Some lovely little surprises in there too.

Very fun sequel, it really upped the scale and ambition of the original and it is worth seeing on the big screen....but it wasnt quite as good story wise imo. The first one is so tight and well cast.

Craig is excellent, love Hahn in everything and Kate Hudson was surprisingly good as well.

They might have cost Miles Bron a lot of money (possible financial ruin) but he has basically got away with double murder? Or will they testify against him?

I did guess a few of the twists but it was still a lot of fun.

Terrific cameos as well, Hugh Grant and Craig make a nice couple ha.

Will definitely watch another sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this last night and its an absolute hoot. I love a good murder mystery and this delivers in spades, its very clever. Some nice little in jokes too, such as the Tom cruise in Magnolia outfit, which I dont know why it was thrown in there, but it was a funny moment all the same. Cant wait for the next one

• Advertisement

Ah, boo. Sometimes just knowing there's something means I'm waiting for it to appear. Be it twists or cameos.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,684 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Would you need to have seen the first one to be able to watch this one?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,919 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Not really. Nobody from the first film is in this one. They are basically separate stories

• Registered Users Posts: 15,684 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Awe cool. That is great. I might go see it so.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

A rare peek inside the Netflix theatrical release machine - Variety's 'informed sources' put the film as a big hit in the US (third in the box office at $12-15 million, with a fraction of the screens of the top two) but since Netflix doesn't release figures we won't know for sure. I normally wouldn't be particularly interested in box office numbers, but given Netflix's uber-secrecy about BO it's worthwhile knowing how this fared - especially as a sequel to a film whose box office performance we do know.

But alas it seems they're still rigidly sticking to their seven-day window - any cinema I've checked loses the film from tomorrow.

I always assumed box office was just public knowledge.

I think studios generally report the figures voluntarily, but Netflix has never formally revealed the numbers from their theatrical releases. Hence we don't really know how well / badly most of their films do, although most only get token releases in a small number of cinemas. Only a handful like The Irishman have gone 'big'. Glass Onion is their biggest release yet, although still small compared to a Wakanda Forever saturation release or whatnot. Still lots of hostility from the US chains about even screening Netflix films.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Unusual for a movie on this site to achieve full universal acclaim. Nothing negative about it so far.

Who will be the first to rock the boat and proclaim that they were underwhelmed by it, or the characters didn't have enough depth etc.

• Advertisement

I'm waiting for fans of a certain billionaire to proclaim it some woke attempt at mockery, it's inevitable.

Advertisement