Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish protocol.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,129 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The medicines issue will be sorted using the existing agreement.

The agreement is made downcow and signed and neither side is up for tearing it up.

So far what you are getting from Boris is bluster designed to appease you while Frost is in the EU working within the agreement.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You have been told before about the medecines. Examples of medicines that you claimed would be banned are not banned. Are you really wanting to go back to this? Do you want us to go back to me asking for an example of a blocked medicine, you eventually giving one and me then quickly proving that it is not blocked by the EU?

Any issues in terms of items from GB not being available in NI are 100% down to the British government, not the EU. The EU have not suddenly invented a list of stuff that had been available now suddenly being blocked. However, if GB wishes to trade with the EU then it must follow the procedures that it signed up to.

In addition, many companies in NI have not changed suppliers making products less available but are blaming it on the protocol. Last weekend I was listening to my MIL talking crap about how the NIP was blocking the sale of necessary medicated dog food that she needs to give her dog (which is what her vet told her). Five minutes online and I had found various veterinary sources both in the ROI and NI which supplied the exact brand of that product that allegedly was blocked by the NIP. In the end she bought a tray of tins from vetpetni.co.uk. So maybe people are claiming that there are issues but to be honest, I've yet to see one actual example of medicine actually being blocked because of the NIP.

Post edited by Seth Brundle on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Suckler

Fecking dogs causing all the problems, if they aren't rabid they're hungry. Decommission the madraí?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭downcow

• Advertisement

Eu has suggested that EU LAW could be changed to solve this. You could hardly call that an easement?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

It's funny that Naughty Leo Varadkar (or the bould Coveney) are still such hate figures for Unionists (and probably yourself downcow!). 

Now that Brexit is actually "over" in a sense, the incentives have shifted and Irish govt. would probably buckle and give UK everything they seek on a platter in pursuit of a quiet life if they could get away with it. The NI border remaining free of checks really appears to be a no. 1 priority issue for the country (well, the people who run it anyway). edit: To be clear, they know that once it is decided that the UK will never uphold what it agreed to and the EU starts a process of trying to force the UKs hand, a chain of events begins which could end up with checks needing to be put on goods at that border. Sure the government kept the NI border wide open during the worst of this pandemic, ensuring we got a rapid hammering from new virus variants (Alpha/Delta) courtesy of the UK/NIs poor responses. They literally let additional people in Ireland get sick and die needlessly rather than place any restrictions on cross-border travel. I'm certain UK govt. drew some conclusions from that.

That's why they'd be very happy for the talking or "negotiations" if you want to call it that to go around in circles forever and a day while NI protocol is frozen and only part-implemented (how many rabid dogs can dance on the head of a pin?).

I don't think this situation is tenable though, and it will get resolved eventually one way or the other.

Post edited by fly_agaric on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

When did the EU suggest this and have you a link?

The EU offered to change the rules as long as the Protocol was implemented in full.

In other words, easements within the framework of the Protocol.

• Advertisement

Sorry I meant to link the discussion on bbc as several here were claiming I made it up.

the most of the programme is about it. I flicked on just there at 38 mins and they were hard at it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000z5y0

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

.....the sh*t stirrer general himself, Nolan 😂

The man who has given Jim Allister a vastly disproportionate platform compared with the votes he receives.....the man who regularly features his buddy Jamie Bryson (who received 167 votes or thereabouts when he stood for election himself).

You may have 'slightly' oversold how seriously the BBC's 'criticism' should be taken, Downcow. I suspect that it was intentional rather than just saying it was on the Nolan show up front.

Here’s a link to the other requests.

I was told it was nonsense and scaremongering that medicines would be blocked access to ni from gb. I think you will agree that all political parties in ni are accepting this is now the case.

also I was told ‘the EU will not negotiate’. This link also contains Sinn Fein confirming EU negotiators and UK negotiators are headed for OWC. Maybe they are just coming to watch the game on Wednesday night 🤔 that’s what ‘negotiators’ do, isn’t it?

we are on programme with my predictions. The slide is beginning. Checks will look dramatically different in a year or two.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.newsletter.co.uk/health/top-brexit-negotiators-are-due-in-northern-ireland-amid-protocol-worries-over-medicines-3371116%3famp

I'm sure they will. The EU's proposal for Brexit was May's backstop and that had no checks. The UK's proposal after this was the NI Protocol, which has checks. If there are fewer checks in the future, then it's a slide towards what the EU initially went for, and has always wanted. It's moving away from what the UK wanted.

Why do you think this is outside the agreement or a 're-negotiation'?

You were not told the EU would not negotiate on easements and flexibilities.

Neither were you told medicines would be blocked by the EU.

I might have known it was a 'slot' on Nolan. A programme nobody serious takes any notice of anymore.

Starting to see Scottish and English business contacts and friends asking about local shortages on Facebook. They are amazed when I link them to news stories on the Protocol insulating NI from similar shortages. I think this will be the big news story of the Autumn in the UK, making it more and more difficult for Unionists to continue the 'woe is us' campaign. One of my contacts posted this tweet.

Brexit Bin 🇪🇺 #BrexitReality on Twitter: "A very biting report on German TV news last night covering our Brexit shortages. ... "Their vote for 'freedom' has ended in a farce!" ... Ouch! 🔥🔥🔥 ... It covered shortages in all sectors, plus the new immigration barriers for EU workers. So damning! #BlameBrexit (Vox News) https://t.co/VNuIGXdgNo" / Twitter

Bryson and Allister etc might have more luck getting the PSNI disbanded. 😁

I think this will be the big news story of the Autumn in the UK, making it more and more difficult for Unionists to continue the 'woe is us' campaign.

...but it won't stop them however 😥

Rethoric is well dialled back.

Pretending easements and built in flexibility is a result of their protests is next stage.

• Advertisement

I was absolutely told Eu would not negotiate.

but hey. You claim the gfa is a victory, which guarantees ni stay in union until it’s people wish otherwise. If you want to paint it as not negotiating when Eu changes it’s rules, then that’s great with me. If you want to refer to easements in same way as you justify republicans implementing British rule in Stormont, then I’m good with that.

sounds like we don’t disagree. All the bad bits of the protocol will go and you will call them easements 👍

You were told the EU would not re-negotiate the Protocol or WA.

Stop trying to fashion a victory. It's not gonna wash.

This language of negotiations, easements, etc are irrelevant red herrings.

i may have misunderstood but I read many on here saying the Irish Sea checks were an inevitable result of brexit and that they would remain in place unless Uk aligned with Eu and followed Eu rules. Is that correct?

They were an inevitable result of a hard Tory Brexit. It absolutely was not an inevitability of Brexit.

A deal had been done with Teresa May that guaranteed no checks. It put NI in the same position it's in now but with the rest of GB aligned with it, until it was ready some time in the future to diverge with the help of technology. Arlene Foster scuppered that deal so GB could try to have their cake and eat it at NI's expense.

All agreements so far extending things require the GB to follow EU rules for longer. The EU hasn't changed its Single Market rules. If and when more checks disappear, it will be the UK agreeing to EU regulations.

For some reason, you think the EU wants these checks. You see them as a goal for EU politicians. It is the exact opposite. They tried for years to get a deal without them. Boris Johnson suggested a deal with them. You really really need to get it into your head that checks are a side effect of GB wanting to completely diverge. Less checks means less divergence means better for NI.

They weren't 'inevitable', they are their because of the type of Brexit the Tories wanted and northern Ireland didn't matter and wasn't going to get in the way of the Brexit they wanted. Johnson lied to your faces then shafted you. Hence, where you are now.

Sulking because you feel separated from the motherland while everyone else is getting on with it and using the easements and flexibility built into the Protocol.

So will you accept that you are at least surprised when the majority of the checks disappear without our nation agreeing to follow Eu rules and bureaucracy?

Eu rules and bureaucracy

Can you name a country or union of countries that does not have rules and bureaucracy? Stop with your quoting from the Express

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Um. Leo hasn't said he "want to reach an agreement". He has said that "it would be preferable . . . to come to an agreement", but he's not talking about an agreement to which he will be a party, or which he will have any involvement in negotiating. Nor has he made any mention of an agreement that will amend or replace the NI Protocol. I think what he wants is an agreement between the UK and the EU on how to implement the protocol. Which, as I am tired of pointing out, is what the Protocol itself provides for.

This is exactly what I am saying. I think we agree.

Leo prefers an agreement (agreed)

it’s the Uk and Eu that need to reach that agreement (agreed)

that agreement will not ditch the protocol as ni is by far the biggest benefactor of the good bits everyone wants to keep - except a few extreme loyalists and some bitter republicans (agreed)

Leo will not be involved in the negotiations (agreed)

maybe the only but we seem to disagree on is the extent of the new arrangements ie I believe the Eu will be changing their rules and making special exceptions to Uk to accommodate removal of many sea checks but you don’t think this will happen (is that a fair summary?)

• Advertisement

I'll take that as a climb down from the heady days of 'wait till you see what happens in court' and the EU will fold their tent after Dublin is disrupted with protests every Friday (or what ever frequency you were touting)

I said you would try to fashion a victory and there we have it above.😁

I think the term for that is a 'pyrrhic victory' - Unionism is in tatters and the Irish Sea border remains but you 'won' getting them to use the easements and flexibilities built into the Protocol.

Advertisement