Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finding address for small claims case

Options
  • 10-05-2021 6:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

I employed a somewhat lacking plumber who walked off the job after he flooded my apartment. I actually found said plumber on adverts ie who say they know his address but will not supply me with it until i get a court order...do i go to a lawyer or go to a court if so which court to get said court order...I believe the address the adverts ie have is not verified so it might be fake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

It's expensive to get a court order.

Possibly claim from house insurance and have the insurance company try claim off him.

But possibly you have to accept some blame for getting a plumber from adverts? The best way is always to visit a local plumbing supplies place and ask them.

I presume you paid by cheque or card or bank transfer and got a receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Darc19 wrote: »
    That's not what the op is asking

i think it is as the heading says "small claims"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

i think it is as the heading says "small claims"

He's asking for a means by which to get the plumber's address so he can file a small claim against the plumber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

lawred2 wrote: »
    He's asking for a means by which to get the plumber's address so he can file a small claim against the plumber.

my mistake...

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

Possibly claim from house insurance and have the insurance company try claim off him.

But possibly you have to accept some blame for getting a plumber from adverts? The best way is always to visit a local plumbing supplies place and ask them.

Last point first I did get a registered plumber but he said he was busy for 3 weeks and the tenant insisted he would continue using the broken (he broke it) bath tub if I did not get a plumber immediately.

The house insurance idea fails as well mountjoy sq have a 3000 euro access on plumbing claims

Now you say court orders are expensive hence it would seem you know how to obtain one please inform me...after all i can add said cost to the claim

please tell me how to obtain the court order

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

beaufoy wrote: »
    please tell me how to obtain the court order

First port of call would be to contact a solicitor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,448 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If he's a registered gas installer you will get his address here by searching for his name...

https://rgii.ie/registered-installers/

whippet wrote: »
    First port of call would be to contact a solicitor

a little more imagination might help bypass irish lawyers

If he's a registered gas installer you will get his address here by searching for his name...

https://rgii.ie/registered-installers/

i extremely doubt if he is a registered installer in fact i doubt if his birth was registered

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭893bet

Have a friend call him to their house to view a job. Then follow him for the day until he goes home.

893bet wrote: »
    Have a friend call him to their house to view a job. Then follow him for the day until he goes home.

Haha, I like how your mind works.

Good idea but I do not have any friends...do you want to be my friend???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

I employed a somewhat lacking plumber who walked off the job after he flooded my apartment. I actually found said plumber on adverts ie who say they know his address but will not supply me with it until i get a court order...do i go to a lawyer or go to a court if so which court to get said court order...I believe the address the adverts ie have is not verified so it might be fake

Let's hear three hearty cheers for GDPR - the criminal and conman's best friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

If you want proper legal advise you need to pay for it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Bit of social media stalking should get you his address. Put his number into the search on Facebook for a start and see what comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭db

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,143 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Bypassing the licensed plumber is what's got you into this mess. If you want your court application for a disclosure order against the operators of adverts.ie to end up looking like your bathroom now looks, then by all means bypass the lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Last point first I did get a registered plumber but he said he was busy for 3 weeks and the tenant insisted he would continue using the broken (he broke it) bath tub if I did not get a plumber immediately.

I sincerely hope you take the cost of that bath damage out his deposit.
    And as for his demand for wanting it fixed Immediately, I'd have told him stay away from it until it was fixed and warned him that he would be held liable for any further water damage if he used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

If Adverts give you his information. It is Adverts that would be in court. That's the law unfortunately.

If Adverts give you his information. It is Adverts that would be in court. That's the law unfortunately.

adverts will not give me info unless i get a court order

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Bit of social media stalking should get you his address. Put his number into the search on Facebook for a start and see what comes up.

facebook did not work for me his no i think is [snip]

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

adverts will not give me info unless i get a court order

Correct. If they did, the Data Protection Comissioner would prosecute them. Hence you need a court order or a request from the gardai under a particular section, 40 something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Don’t you need the registered company name - if he bothered - which may not be the name he advertises umder or his own name. Ring the Companies Registration Office (CRO) in Dublin and explain to them. They may be able to help you or may do a search for you using his name as the registered name of a company filed under his nMe or phone number. I have always found them to be very helpful.

Of course he may not be a registered aole trader/company and just some bloke soing nixeds or working cash in hand with an 083 number - in which case you have little hope, and will beat get revenge by either filing a complaint with the gaurds for criminal damage or ruining his business by stalking him on FB and posting images of the damage he did and getting all your friends (after he blocks you) to do the same or ask - are you the guy who did a runner after doing thousands of euro worth of damage every time gr posts....

Have you looked on LinkedIn for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭893bet

Good idea but I do not have any friends...do you want to be my friend???

Get a throwaway Sim and arrange for him to go to a random house or better still a business, Be there at the time and when he gets there, the house owner will have no idea. Follow him from there.

Could not be easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

in the old days (pre digital) it was easy - now, there are rules and regulations and protocol which needs to be followed.

it's possible there may be a digital way of finding the guy, but the safest way to do it and remain within the correct procedures would be to contact a member of the legal profession and let them use the tools that are available to them.

• Advertisement

Correct. If they did, the Data Protection Comissioner would prosecute them. Hence you need a court order or a request from the gardai under a particular section, 40 something.

another person advised me the gardi could help but the gardi claimed they cannot help

Advertisement