Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oulwans n' Oulfellas Rock On!

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,436 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

I shared your messages with Rubes family member and they (and Rubes) wish to thank you for your kind words.

The hospital visit had him looking a bit brighter and the messages made Rubes smile and he sends his regards to each of you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I went out on Sunday morning and my phone was in my bag switched off, I forgot to switch it back on. When I came home I spent a few hours blissfully in the garden, pulled some weeds, planted some plants, after lunch I sorted out my craft stuff, after tea I watched some TV. I felt liberated without the phone. When I finally remembered to turn it on there was just one text so I'm not that popular, who cares! Might do it again soon.

Frail O & O, needs furniture moved, just moved, nothing else. No spouse, no kinder, all friends are ould and frail too. What do they do? Any ideas to help an O or even an O?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you don't have a local Age Action branch (good shout, looksee!), ask the local Scouts or the parish to see if they know of anyone that could volunteer. Or a local secondary school - transition year students might be willing to help. Or neighbours, if they're friendly. Even local charity shops might be able to point you in the right direction.

• Advertisement

Thanks Looksee and New Home, but not a chance of either of those, first Age Action just supply the names of tradesmen, this furniture just has to be moved, not taken away, not donated to charity, not sold, just moved from one place to another within the home. Secondly, no students or scouts would be strong enough to move this piece, its Victorian, humongous and extremely heavy. I could see a court case if someone did some damage to their back! My own view is they should just downsize and get rid of it but they ain't going anywhere, and that's their final decision! (stomps foot!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭gipi

Is there a local men's shed? They might be able to help move the furniture

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Sounds gorgeous, Jellybaby...

I didn't mean that you should ring those places to have it taken away, but they might have a list of names of volunteers/small job traders (i.e., "No job too big or small") that would be willing to move it for you. For instance, I once mentioned in passing to the oil delivery guy that I had an air lock in the boiler. He said he'd go home for dinner and come back afterwards to fix it for me. He didn't want a penny, either, but I can tell you in nearly 20 years I only ever ordered oil from someone else twice and that was because I couldn't get hold of them.

Plus, unless there are steps, etc, a set or two of these would help.

Oh, and many hands make light work... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

I thought Age Action helped out with DIY etc and a donation is part of deal? I would worry of injury to any volunteers and liability on the householder.

• Advertisement

Oh no, there is no way I'd expect volunteers to do heavy lifting. We may try Age Action as well. We're trying other avenues locally, maybe neighbours might know someone with enough muscle power, and we've been given some other suggestions. Thanks all.

Just wanted to let his boards friends know that our dear Rubes has passed away.

RIP old friend, RIP.

Rest in peace Rubes.

Ah God, nooo... poor Rubecula... rest in peace.

I hope he's soaring above the clouds, flying free.

The notice is on RIP.ie, I've just found it. His user name here was a great hint.

EDIT: At least, I think it's his death notice...

Post edited by New Home on

Nooooo! I'm so very sad to hear this. I've missed his humour here so much. God bless Rube.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Rubecula, flaneur of the universe

I met him in Dublin one, once!

He lived on an island over there,

and countless others everywhere and inhere.

Bless him. He introduced me to the better pronunciation of 'buggah' and I can still use it but only when strictly necessary of course!! 😄 It might be a good idea for us and others to find the beginnings of his posts and re-read them, just for the joy of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I'm sorry to hear about Rubes. I think he joined this forum shortly after me. He was a very engaging sort!

Anyone else afraid to read anything today because of the date?

I think I could take top prize for curmudgeon in this years Olympics, just saying.

I've always loved the Olympics. Not a big sports type, hated GAA and football so the Olympics brought a rare opportunity to see some of the lesser known sports on the telly. Moreso for the Winter Olympics. It led to my (still ongoing) indulgence in archery and some shooting. If we had the climate I'd have been on the Luge or the bobsleighs, any of the downhill ice sliding sports.

There are two olympians in the extended family, not winners yet for me a competitor is still to be just as fated. One for sailing and one for fencing. I'm not sure why that should make me proud but it does and I am.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

You are an archer Old Goat? So was I in the 70s and 80s. I was involved in starting a couple of clubs, and taught the basics for a while.

Yeah, I've been shooting for decades. I am now at the "Master Archer" status although that accolade is awarded by age rather than actual skills. :) I shoot mostly Olympic style* though I love instinctive and field archery too.

*For non archers thats using the bow with all the sticky out rods on it so that it looks like a bit of a space satellite.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Advertisement