Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is that legal for sandwich shops to advertise margarine for butter

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Caranica wrote: »
    Kerrygold and Connacht Gold both produce spreadable butters. Connacht Gold also do a low fat one but it's definitely butter.

Don't think it's a legal issue but I get where you're coming from OP. I detest spreads and I hate when places offer "butter" and it's actually a spread.
    spreadable butter called blended butter ~65% butter and rest vegetable oil /hydrogenated crap and perhaps mention olive oil but doubt that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,219 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Kerrygold and Connacht Gold both produce spreadable butters. Connacht Gold also do a low fat one but it's definitely butter.

Don't think it's a legal issue but I get where you're coming from OP. I detest spreads and I hate when places offer "butter" and it's actually a spread.

Connacht Gold Spreadable includes vegetable oil; I imagine most of them do as it makes them spreadable whereas butter is a solid at low temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,219 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

markmoto wrote: »
    spreadable butter called blended butter ~65% butter and rest vegetable oil /hydrogenated crap and perhaps mention olive oil but doubt that.

Do any of them include hydrogenated oil? My understanding is that the point of hydrogenation is to make it sold whereas the point of adding to butter is to make it less solid. Simple liquid vegetable oil is going to achieve that.

How did this become a serious conversation about butter?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've used the Connacht Gold spreadable butter before. It spread like just like real butter when you take it from the fridge, neither spread easily, so no use for a sandwich shop.

The only good thing about the "butter" they use in shops is they use so little you hardly even notice it.

• Advertisement

How did this become a serious conversation about butter?

I assume the mods will eventually kick it off to a more appropriate location.

Butter late than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

sdanseo wrote: »
    Never said it was just saying no hydrogenated crap

Dairygold (& maybe Kerrygold) is only cream and salt. The rest are full of oils.

You’re completely wrong about Dairygold. One of its main ingredients is palm oil. It is not butter.

Kerrygold is butter, cream and salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Finally remembered to check the Connacht Gold and nope, no oil at all in the ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Finally remembered to check the Connacht Gold and nope, no oil at all in the ingredients.

Go on then what's in it apart from milk products? Water and emulsifiers?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

lawred2 wrote:
    I don't think the 'butty' referred to butter.. did it?

Yeah! Butty is short for buttered bread. I never knew that until I moved to England

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

no oil but 49% butter only. What takes another 51%; Salt, Lactic Acid, Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Colour (Beta Carotene) ?

Unexplainable miracle

• Registered Users Posts: 26,143 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

no oil but 49% butter only. What takes another 51%; Salt, Lactic Acid, Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Colour (Beta Carotene) ?

Unexplainable miracle
    The missing ingredient will be water. And possibly milk powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

You’re completely wrong about Dairygold. One of its main ingredients is palm oil. It is not butter.

Kerrygold is butter, cream and salt.

The Kerrygold spreadable butter was, as above, dairy products and salt, and lovely. Last tub I bought now contains rapeseed oil, and it's gack. Leaves this greasy weird stuff on your toast. To be fair, when I checked the tub, it now has a big red stripe advertising the fact, which if I'd been paying any attention at all I'd have seen.

Advertisement