Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is that legal for sandwich shops to advertise margarine for butter

Options
  • 07-05-2021 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

When ordering a sandwich I being asked if I want butter and every time it's either margarine or blended butter.

Even blended butter comes with only ~60% butter and rests hydrogenated oils and other cheap add-ons.

This kind of butter offer makes me believe I am getting quality stuff in fact getting some junk spread that taste like butter.

is that legal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

They aren't actually advertising it. You can also see in front of you that, coming out of a tub, it clearly isn't Kerrygold. Informally referring to butter is generic. But it wouldn't be legal to have your sandwich labelled as containing real butter when it has a substitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

They aren't actually advertising it. You can also see in front of you that, coming out of a tub, it clearly isn't Kerrygold. Informally referring to butter is generic. But it wouldn't be legal to have your sandwich labelled as containing real butter when it has a substitute.

Well, I get asked if I want butter and served a large chunk of margarine over.
    Misrepresentation?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭drogon.

Almost all vinegar sold in most chip shop isn't vinegar either. They are technically called non-brewed condiment - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-brewed_condiment

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

D'ya want butter?
    Is it butter?
    Nah.
    Nah, you're OK thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

drogon. wrote: »
    Almost all vinegar sold in most chip shop isn't vinegar either. They are technically called non-brewed condiment - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-brewed_condiment

Never once heard of a chip shop charging for vinegar.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭DaSchmo

I have a small bottle of non brewed condiment in my kitchen that was sold by a very well known chipper in Dublin that's labelled "Classic Chipshop Vinegar" which they sell at about 2.50 a bottle.

That said it's what everyone perceives to be Vinegar in a chip shop and it's delicious so I doubt they've ever had a complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭drogon.

Well it is included in the price !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

DaSchmo wrote: »
    I have a small bottle of non brewed condiment in my kitchen that was sold by a very well known chipper in Dublin that's labelled "Classic Chipshop Vinegar" which they sell at about 2.50 a bottle.

That said it's what everyone perceives to be Vinegar in a chip shop and it's delicious so I doubt they've ever had a complaint.

Wow, that's very clever marketing.

I buy vinegar in bulk for various uses, usually 4x5 litre containers costs about 20 euro.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

And I've never once heard of anyone being charged for butter on their sambo in a deli.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Most chippers sell bottles of vinegar. At least in Dublin they do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,724 ✭✭✭✭listermint

spurious wrote: »
    D'ya want butter?
    Is it butter?
    Nah.
    Nah, you're OK thanks.

Pragmatism, love it !

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

Dial Hard wrote:
    And I've never once heard of anyone being charged for butter on their sambo in a deli.

In england once, I ordered a chip butty off the menu when going to pay I was asked if I wanted butter, dumbfounded I replied well yes it is a chip BUTTY
    That will be ten pence please

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

I would guess most of the blended butters don't include hydrogenated fats, also known as trans fats, which are indisputably adverse to health and are used for the purpose of hardening.

How would you prefer the minimum wage employees at the sandwich stand to describe such spreads? I'm sure if you go in at a quiet time and ask them what butter they're using, it won't be a secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭tscul32

I wouldn't think there's a legal issue with it but it's definitely annoying. Some people are very laid back about that kind if thing but others are particular about their food. I ordered a sandwich off the board somewhere once, had brie and pesto in it which I love together. She starts making it up then when just the brie left to add says we've no brie today, cheddar ok? I'm not a fan of cheddar and pesto together so I asked for a different sambo. She was not impressed. I personally don't take butter or any spread on a sambo but I'd imagine if I was expecting butter cos that's what I was asked about then I wouldn't be too happy getting a different spread. But as above "is it real butter?" would solve it. I know to say "no spread" when ordering a sambo - said "no butter" once and was told it wasn't butter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Buttahr or mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

Would butter ie Kerry Gold need to be stored in a fridge for HACCP reason's, which will keep it hard and not spreadable. Wouldn't make sense to have it then. They will always need a spreadable version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Hmm, probably better not to ask about their meat composition either or where exactly on the animal the meat comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Lmkrnr wrote: »
    Would butter ie Kerry Gold need to be stored in a fridge for HACCP reason's, which will keep it hard and not spreadable. Wouldn't make sense to have it then. They will always need a spreadable version.

Kerrygold and Connacht Gold both produce spreadable butters. Connacht Gold also do a low fat one but it's definitely butter.

Don't think it's a legal issue but I get where you're coming from OP. I detest spreads and I hate when places offer "butter" and it's actually a spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Darth Melkor

Buttahr or mayo?

Both please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Worked in a deli once. The "butter" came in 2kg tubs of Dairygold, the exact same stuff you buy off the shelf.

Something like this Kerrymaid one https://www.pallasfoods.com/product/kerrymaid-2kg-tub/

No hydrogenated fat I don't think. The only thing I've seen that in for the last decade is stuff made in the US like Reese's (unfortunately doesn't stop me occasionally eating them!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

sdanseo wrote: »
    Worked in a deli once. The butter came in 2kg tubs of Dairygold, the exact same stuff you buy off the shelf.

Something like this Kerrymaid one https://www.pallasfoods.com/product/kerrymaid-2kg-tub/

No hydrogenated fat I don't think. The only thing I've seen that in for the last decade is stuff made in the US like Reese's (unfortunately doesn't stop me occasionally eating them!)

Neither Kerrymaid nor Dairygold are butter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

sdanseo wrote: »
    Worked in a deli once. The butter came in 2kg tubs of Dairygold, the exact same stuff you buy off the shelf.

That's not butter

I feel the same when I order a can of 7-up and they bring me a Sprite instead. I usually solve the issue by bouncing the can off the back of their head as they walk away.

Probably tougher to do with a sandwich in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Caranica wrote: »
    Neither Kerrymaid nor Dairygold are butter?
    That's not butter

Never said it was just saying no hydrogenated crap

Dairygold (& maybe Kerrygold) is only cream and salt. The rest are full of oils.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Don't start me on the mayo/salad cream debacle...

I feel the same when I order a can of 7-up and they bring me a Sprite instead. I usually solve the issue by bouncing the can off the back of their head as they walk away.

Probably tougher to do with a sandwich in fairness.

You sir, made me spit tea.

After hours for light chat. arguments cards and bans

Legal for serious discussion. 3 pages of pure and in fairness, hilarious piss taking. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You could make your own sandwiches

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

snoopy84 wrote: »
    In england once, I ordered a chip butty off the menu when going to pay I was asked if I wanted butter, dumbfounded I replied well yes it is a chip BUTTY
    That will be ten pence please

I don't think the 'butty' referred to butter.. did it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

That's not butter

I can't believe it...

Advertisement