Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishness

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

tomjmsn wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses. As ever with questions of identity there seems to be quite a lot of difference of opinion.

I realise in some people's eyes I'll never be Irish and I'm fine with that. I do however feel a deep connection to Ireland, the history, the people, the culture. It can be difficult to describe. It's something I'll never take for granted and continue trying to develop by learning more about the history and even the language. I think if you have that respect for a country's cultures and traditions and try your best to integrate yourself then most places would be quite welcoming.

The main thing, really, is to not take it too seriously. A lot of “casual” sectarianism has built up over the last while through that Irish Simpsons Fans page on Facebook and Blind Boy Boat Club.

So you may get called a “Tan”, “Sassenach” or have references of British involvement in Irish history, the famine, 800 years of oppression etc directed at you. As long as you don’t get defensive, or join in, you’ll be fine.

Do not point out that it’s actually closer to 400 years of oppression. It won’t go down well.

The tide is turning…

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

blanch152 wrote: »
    You feel Irish, you want to be Irish, you are Irish.
    I think it is this but one also needs a dose of begrudgery!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If my wife and i move to Korea and have a baby, is the child Korean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Swaine wrote: »
    No Irish accent? You're not Irish. In my eyes anyway.

No amount of virtue signalling will change that.

accents? Nip across to D4 and ask them about accents and Irishness. they will robustly defend their Irishness yet their convoluted, made up accent is not Irish (Rachel Allen, I'm looking at you. Miriam O'Callaghan, Lorraine Keane, you two as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If my wife and i move to Korea and have a baby, is the child Korean?

Going by the exclusionary nationalist principles, the answer is yes, and they are definitely not Irish.

For the rest of us, it is actually something for your child to decide. The answer may vary over the years. While very young, they may feel Korean, in line with their peers (assuming you fully integrate in Korean society), as they grow older and learn about family heritage, they may draw on that and become Irish. Who knows, maybe you will move to Australia when the child is five and he will drink Fosters and tell his mates g'day (apologies for the inaccurate characterisation of Australians)?

• Advertisement
Advertisement