Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,818 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dark Silkie would be a great introduction to smoke and peat, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

yeah I've only ever had Dark Silkie once, on the recommendation of this thread, I'm going to get a bottle eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,792 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

The Dark Silkie Cask Strength is worth the extra, imo

A great introduction to peat is Johnnie Walker Double Black. Especially if you're flying home from the UK, it's nearly always available in duty free for about £30 for a litre

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I got An Oa in the Celtic Whisky Shop actually.

Although it is approachable for an Ardbeg that still means quite peated by general standards.

Have to ask... Did you try your secret Santa's and what did you think!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

First person to name the bar gets a free shot???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

For these damp chilly evenings, time for a hot whiskey.

My alternative version uses a strip of mandarin orange peel instead of lemon and cloves.

Works very well with Paddy Black Label. Aka Paddys Share this is a big step up in quality from the original Paddy.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

You'll get a Bog Standard Dram and then F**ed out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I really like An Oa, it's smokier and sweeter than the Ardbeg 10. Both are great in their own right.

Enjoying this tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sinbad311

Jameson Black Barrel down to 30 from 50 in Tesco with a Clubcard, not a bad price. Had a bottle of the Xmas and really enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sampling 3 Thomond Gate single pot stills tonight.

Started with their latest release, aged for 21 months in a Château Kirwan Margaux cask, then had the Peter Lacy 2.0 (Imperial Stout finish with Western Herd in county Clare) and finished with their Hlymreker (Danish Rye finish, a whopping 60.63% abv).

I'd tried the Imp Stout finish before so I knew I like that one. The other 2 are also fantastic. I've spent way too much money supporting them over the past 30 months or so, but they're doing great things with sourced product while they wait to get their own set-up up and running in Limerick.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Went for 3 Thomond Gate single malts tonight. Miguel Hogan 2.0 (ruby port finish), John Wolfe Ambrose (peated Bourbon finish) and Bold & Brave (red ale malt/Treaty City finish). All fabulous over very large ice cubes.

I meant to open the Bold & Brave at Christmas time so I could drink it alongside Treaty City's barrel aged red ale, but I never got around to it. It was worth the wait. Super smooth stuff. Back on the wagon after this weekend until the Great Limerick Run is done, so it's been good fun trying so many cask strength drams together.

I also picked up the Two Stacks x Irish Malts single cask (PX finish) last week. I haven't given it a proper tasting with the Glencairn glass yet, but the little sup I did have was very enjoyable. Pretty sure it's my first Pedro Ximenez bottle and now I understand why the likes of Red Breast go for such mad prices at auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭flended12

Was given a private tasting session here 2 weeks ago. Nothing short of sensational.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Anyone going to the whiskey festival in Cork this weekend? I'm thinking of going down for a few hours, but haven't really looked closely at what's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,792 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Picked up a Bunnahabhain "Eirigh Na Greine" in Edinburgh Duty Free and I'd recommend it if you're flying home from the UK, looks like it's in most duty frees (or orderable, anyway)

Travel exclusive and no age statement, which I'm usually suspicious of, but £38 for a litre. It tastes really nice. I don't get much from the red wine casks, I don't think, but there is a nice fruity flavour at the start. It's quite peppery in the middle and very smooth to finish. Not quite as nice as the Bunnahabhain 12, but not far off. It's a bit of a bargain at that price

https://worlddutyfree.com/en/bunnahabhain-eirigh-na-greine-1l

I was gifted a bottle of Bushmills 1608 anniversary edition. So, of course, I opened it!

It's a lot more interesting than I had hoped. I imagined the overwhelming impression would be "smooth", but it's far more complex than that. It's a bit of a sherry bomb, imo, and has a nice edgy kick to the finish. It's dark and warm.

46%, too.

I imagined it aimed at the same market as MVR but it's a very different beast altogether!

Not sure why they put it in a coffin, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

Never been in this pub, but checked out pictures on google maps. I love that the owner has the prices of each and every bottle on the shelf. Nice and obvious. Makes choosing a much nicer experience.

• Advertisement

Picked up a bottle of Waterford Ratheadon 1.1 today for about €80. Bought a bottle when it came out to celebrate my kids birth in 2020, so was happy to get a bottle today to celebrate some other good news.

So finished off the last of the first bottle, and started the new one.

I tasted a few of the Waterfords and that was easily my favourite.

Surprised you could stil get a 1.1 thought it was at 1.2 now.

Had a beer and sushi pairing in the bar tonight. This was the surprise pairing from Brian Nation. Only got a small taste as I'm working. It's interesting though.

See Keepers Heart getting mentioned.

Theres tasting events happening around the country for it.

Curiosity question. How do places like keepers heart and Boann get 10year whisky when they are brand new setups? Boann have a bottle, the whistler 15 year old for 165e. Is this just bushmills or midleton juice with fancy label and a story?

Yes, you've pretty much answered your own question.

Depending on the age of the liquid, it could come from Cooley, Great Northern or West Cork, too.

Does anyone know if Green Spot Quail's Gate will be in mainstream shops at all, or was the whole lot sold out online on release day?

I'd have thought it would be in a bunch of mainstream shops. But might be highly sought at the start. I put in for a couple of bottles with Mitchells that I should be getting in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

So I was in a Wetherspoons yesterday. I ordered a Dingle Single Malt. It arrived with three ice cubes in it. Politely told the server that I didn't want ice in it, so they brought it back and got me a new one. Then overheard the bar man loudly giving out that if I didn't want ice in my whiskey, that I should have ordered it without ice.

Advertisement