Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Following a couple of these with some Laphroaig Four Oaks..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Opened my Elijah Craig small batch. Considering the price difference it compares well to the 12 year old version. A little less depth and not as punchy, but it’s close enough to tick all the same boxes for me, at a decent saving.

This thread, like so many on boards, feels like a shadow of its former self. A shame!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I used the boards app to read and post but since the update it has stopped working. Hardly on here as a result. It does seem very quiet on the thread sadly but hopefully it'll pick up again.

With the recent warm weather and a few other things I've taken a break from the whiskey but I'll get back to it in a few weeks. Hope yourself and the other regulars are doing well.

I’m in Portugal still and speaking of warm weather and whisky… It’s reminded me of advice I once received from a wine expert… Room temperature may be too warm for red wine or whisky in a hot climate... Unless you want to drink something quite warm you either need a cellar or to be prepared to use a fridge to bring it down to a cooler room temperature than might exist in a heat wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Only slightly chilled though.

I remember in Lyon the carafes of local reds came served a little chilled. During the heatwave I was putting light reds into the fridge for 30 mins before dinner.

And dark n stormy cocktails using Puca instead of Rum.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not a fan of ice in a whisky to be honest, too cold, dilutes it, I would sooner just take a punt on getting the temp down slightly with a spell in the fridge. But to each their own obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Getting back about the advice given..so much choice here in Edinburgh the mind boggles. Have got some Balvenie in Caribean casket, as well as a different arbelour to what I had before. Got a bottle of the Bunnahabhain as well. Because my favs were Balvenie and Aberlour was recommended to get Glendronach 12..had a sample and it was fab..also Glenfarclas10..lucky to have a car so not restricted by flying

A pint glass full of ice with Club Lemon and a shot or two of Irish Whiskey is savage on a hot summers day. I used Powers three swallow for it recently as I had some in the press.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭SteM

Any opinions on the Tullamore Dew Rum Cask? Was thinking of picking up a bottle in supervalu, it's €28 at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

Finished off two bottles I opened at Christmas recently. A yellow spot and the method and madness sherry and bourbon barrel.

Second time I've got a bottle of yellow spot and while it's a nice whiskey at that price point is go with Red breast 12. Much prefer the green leoville Barton or the blue out of the spot whiskeys.

M&M is definitely one I would get again. Not much on the nose imo but the palate and finish are superb. Wouldn't mind trying a different finish for "research purposes".

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭xeresod

I like it and and at that price you should certainly try it!

I bought it at the distillery a couple of years for full price and wouldn't hesitate paying that again

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scuba_tom

Really enjoying the Teeling Renaissance 3 and the Redbreast CS at the minute. Have just ordered a bottle of Teeling SPS CS - am very quickly running out of space, think I need to be drinking faster!

Looking at the Bill Phil CS, am not a big fan of peat, although the only one I’ve had is talisker. Anyone have any thoughts on the Bill Phil?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭SteM

Thanks, picked up a bottle in Bray last night. Will give it a try next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Technophobe

I second that..It's a nice one to have of a night and at €28, its definitely worth it..picked up a bottle from Supervalu myself as last one was finsihed quickly enough...nicer than the Bushmills new version too imo

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

Just back from a weekend in Dublin after catching up with friends and family. There are some fantastic deals in air port duty free when going to the U.K. Got a bottle of John's Lanes for myself and some dingle gin for the missus all for 62 euro. There's loads of good offers going.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Germancarfan

Just finished a Redbreast Blakes of the hollow single cask , very , very tasty. hard to beat that all sherry depth.

euro for euro JL is one of the best drinkers out there IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 16 coming back from UK for €48. Absolute bargain, it's over €80 here.

• Advertisement

I’ll do that next week then! That’s a great price alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I picked up this on my holidays and brought it back with me. Now I'm waiting for a special occasion to open it!

Submitted my scores for the Irish Whiskey Awards yesterday. As posted before I had 36 samples in four categories. It was an interesting experience but I'm not sure if I enjoyed it towards the end as it became a bit of a slog with so many. Highest score I gave was 89 so it'll be interesting to see if that was a redbreast 27 or Proper 12!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Same here. 36 samples. The bigger categories were very hard to get through and distinguish notes/scores etc. by the end of it. Had categories A,C,K,H. I'm assuming they were all the same for everybody. Naturally a very mixed bag, some very mundane whiskeys in there, alongside one or two crackers. I'm in 2 minds, would obviously hope I've scored my Redbreast27 higher than any Proper12, but I gave one a 92 and I'd prefer it to be somewhat affordable. Happy to be an wrong if my high scored one only costs me 50€.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I had categories D and E. Catagory D had 42 samples and Catagory E had 2 samples. Judging CAT D was a pain tbh as youre meant to sample them all in one sitting, they "recommend" a spitoon but how can you judge the finish of a whiskey without swallowing it 😕

Wondering what Catagory D actually is though with 42 samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

Wow. That is mad. Max I had was 12. I'm assuming 42 samples is one of the younger categories. 12 was almost my limit in distinguishing one from another.

Felt like some old whiskeys in one of my categories, forget which one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Yeah I poured small enough samples and did them in batches of 10-12. A lot of them were fairly crap tbh but 10 or so stood out and once I had them all scored I went back to those 10 and rechecked them against one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

I submitted mine too. 36 in total over 3 categories with 21 in the largest category. As Hogzy says there was no way I could do a large category in one sitting and no way was i going to spit it out. Highest mark was 91 which i gave to 4 drams, but there were 4 that were in the 60s too.

Interesting experience as you say, but the real interest for me will be in the reveal. I’ve never done a blind tasting before so really looking forward to that. Kept a mere dribble of each to go back to them when I find out what they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Thoughts on Dingle Batch 5?

im far from an expert but just bought it and finding it very elegant and smooth, lots of bourbon and richness, will be a great winter tipple!

Advertisement