Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

odyssey06 wrote: »
    €75 is the usual price for Waterford release, you can sometimes pick up a bottle on offer in O'Briens for €65 but I've never seen it cheaper than that.
    They are hit and miss though.

I would consider it expensive because of the short age of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I would consider it expensive because of the short age of it.

True, you are paying the teh-roir premium :)
    Sometimes it is worth it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I said when I tried a lot of the younger distilleries that I thought they were a little overpriced for what they were at this stage in their lives. I think that when the same spirit is matured several more years, and is selling at a similar price point (at least on core offerings), it will be more palatable.

But in saying that, I completely agree that the cachet, the newness of some of these distilleries 'justifies' some of the pricing. I don't think 60-75 is unreasonable for a whisky that is clearly intending to be in a boutique-y premium bracket, whether it's young or not, if the demand is there. And it clearly is.

From a personal point of view though, I can't help but compare to some similarly young spirits in Scotland from the likes of Kilchoman, Wolfburn, and I would opt for them every time. I know a bit of it is just that Irish whiskey just isn't my thing as much. Kilchoman and Wolfburn are similarly priced to Waterford for the most part. Maybe a tiny bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

From a personal point of view though, I can't help but compare to some similarly young spirits in Scotland from the likes of Kilchoman, Wolfburn, and I would opt for them every time. I know a bit of it is just that Irish whiskey just isn't my thing as much. Kilchoman and Wolfburn are similarly priced to Waterford for the most part. Maybe a tiny bit cheaper.

The first Ardnamurchan was very nice but generally speaking all of the young whisky I've tried from Scottish distilleries needs more time. They are rushing. Daftmill waited a long time because they didn't want to put out an inferior product, they already had an income from their farm but many distilleries NcNean, Lindores, Glasgow need to start making a return on the investment in building, marketing etc., so what comes out is young and sharp and not quite ready.

cloudatlas wrote: »
    The first Ardnamurchan was very nice but generally speaking all of the young whisky I've tried from Scottish distilleries needs more time. They are rushing. Daftmill waited a long time because they didn't want to put out an inferior product, they already had an income from their farm but many distilleries NcNean, Lindores, Glasgow need to start making a return on the investment in building, marketing etc., so what comes out is young and sharp and not quite ready.

A lot of young whiskey is too young for what it is being marketed as, in any country. I think some of the peated styles might be more forgiving though. Kilchoman does not taste its age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

I don't think Waterford at €75 is ridiculous when you consider they are making their own stock from scratch. Most other new distilleries are using old stock from established distilleries and selling as their own, so are getting revenue straight off the bat, long before their own distillate is matured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

odyssey06 wrote: »
    €75 is the usual price for Waterford release, you can sometimes pick up a bottle on offer in O'Briens for €65 but I've never seen it cheaper than that.
    They are hit and miss though.

Few here on offer on Drinks Hero at ~€60. Have never ordered from here myself though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Are we back?

Yes...we were running on Redbreast 12yo.

And we were promised Redbreast 21yo

But we got Proper 12 instead..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The hack of this.

• Advertisement

This GUI is doing my head in along with the creepy 90's rave generation smiley faces.

I'm going to need a large glass of Bushmills later.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Tazium

Good spot, picked 3 bottles. Red Breast at 49.99 is a good price. Nearly fell off the chair with the price of Middleton very rare showing as 49.99 too. Someone put the decimal in the wrong spot, it's 499 😄

I'm over in Connemara at the moment. Got chatting to the barman about whiskey in the hotel and ended up on the poitin. Got to try some very nice free under the counter stuff too.

Went over to the Micíl distillery earlier for a look. Got to stick the head in to the distillery for a quick sniff and got some poitin samples but it's closed for tours due to covid etc. Was in Powerscourt earlier in the week and tried the distillery but couldn't even get in the door for the same reasons. Not my week!

When in Rome...

It was a lovely drop. The 22 years has mellowed the peat. It's there but it soon goes into the background and soft fruity notes come to the fore. A nice sweetness to it. Don't think I'd buy a full size bottle but I would enjoy a glass again if offered.

Incidentally the barman at the hotel was telling me that with the American tourists all but gone for the past two summers that he has had to downsize the ultra premium whiskey and spirits on offer. With a handful of exceptions most Irish visitors aren't dropping big bucks for a glass of whiskey.

Belfast Whiskey Week paused sales on it's website the other day. A lot of the tastings yet to sell out. It's going live again later on with free postage to anywhere in the world. They were charging £18 previously.

Not that far away from you geographically Cazale. On Inis Meain tonight and sipping a large Dingle batch 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Gentlemen and ladies,

I got a great recommendation here for green spot montelena, which is wonderful and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it, so thanks you for that. Now I’m looking for something new.

currently my top shelf contains the following,

redbreast 12, redbreast 21, Waterford gaia, Waterford ballkilcavan, powers St. John’s lane, yellow spot, green-spot Montelena

what should I add next?

was thinking of a dingle? Or teeling?

Appreciate any new recommendations, price range €50-120ish

thanks in advance.

Post edited by ctlsleh on

I hope it went down well. I could have swam out to you but alas I'm back home now 😫

• Advertisement

Some great whiskey in the collection! Have you tried Method and Madness? The French Chestnut finish is really nice.

Post edited by cloudatlas on

Am a big fan of the Montelena also ... you might appreciate:

Knappogue Castle 12 year old Barolo Cask finish approx €90

Gelstons Pinor Noir cask finish approx €45

Whistler Calvados cask finish approx €50

Vintage Mashbills Tasting Pack – 10 x 50ml Bottles

Boann Distillery is thrilled to introduce the Vintage Mashbills Tasting Pack, which is comprised of ten different single pot still new make samples, produced from the mashbills of old distilleries, now lost to the annals of time.

These new make distillates were distilled by Boann Distillery as a part of Historian and Author, Fionnán O’Connor’s Ph.D. research which is in association with TU Dublin.

Now that the liquid experimentation element of Fionnán’s Ph.D. is complete, Boann Distillery are proud to offer these distillates in their complete set, to the public for a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience the wide variations in new make distillate flavour profiles from these long lost Single Pot Still mashbills of old.

These distillates were produced adhering to the upmost scientific rigour of testing. All variables were held constant except the variations in the mashbills. This enables us to showcase the individual flavour contributions that each grain has on the new make distillate at various percentages of the mashbill.

Each Vintage Mashbill Tasting Pack contains 10 x 50ml bottles, each containing a different new make single pot still distillate. Every bottle is accompanied with a full historic background of the era in which this mashbill was in use, as well as the grains comprised in that mashbill.

This incredibly exciting tasting pack will be accompanied by a virtual tasting with Boann Distillery’s Head Distiller, Michael Walsh, and Fionnán O’Connor. They will take you through all ten new make distillates and outline the production processes that went into these mashbills, the challenges that working with high quantities of different grains presented as well as the full history of each of these mashbills.

This tasting will take place on Friday the 30th of July at 6pm IST (Irish Summer Time), in association with Belfast Whiskey Week. Purchasers of this tasting pack will receive a virtual invitation to this tasting from the Belfast Whiskey Week team, this will require us to share the Vintage Mashbills Tasting Pack purchasers’ email addresses for the purpose of receiving this email, but these will not be used for further communications not pertaining to this virtual tasting.

Only 500 tasting packs will be produced of the Vintage Mashbill campaign, by Boann Distillery.

Vintage Mashbills Tasting Pack : 10x50ml, 63% ABV. Includes Boann Distillery Tuath Glass. Full information cards on every mashbill, grains used and historic relevance

Thanks for the suggestion, will add that to the list

Thanks, I’ve always thought that Knapogue was for the tourists, are they actually distilling there?

will try it, thanks for the suggestion

No they don't distil, but actually have just been taken over by Irish Distillers, which muddies the waters somewhat.

I really liked the 12yo Barolo (but not the basic 12yo) and the 14yo also.

Blacks 18 Year Old Single Malt

£429

18 years old. Are they having a laugh or am I missing something here?

• Advertisement

I'll be off over yonder to the mainland now on Thursday.

Gonna get myself to the airport a wee bit early to see if there's anything of note.

Anyone seen anything recently?

I haven't been in an Airport since 28 Dec 2019!

Advertisement