Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refurbed.ie

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,525 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

I don't believe they are "acting" as a re-seller portal it's open and quite obvious. If you spec any device it says quite clearly on the product page who's selling it and where it's shipping from. You can click on that company name and it'll give you full details about who, where etc... I've bought a few bits off them over the years. Only had one that I had an issue with where the battery failed. A Mac Book Pro. Contacted them, returned it replaced with an even better quality and newer model for no additional money within the warranty period and no questions asked. All in all that took about 2 weeks. Absolute quality service.

As a question though on it not helping the Irish market what's stopping any of those struggling Irish businesses from getting setup on the site and selling their products to the wider EU market? Sites like this could be a massive helper to the irish business rather than a hindrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dave34

recieved a reply from them..

quote:

Refurbed is an online marketplace where dealers selected by us from all over Europe (including suppliers in Ireland) are allowed to offer their refurbed products. We do not work with sales outlets, we work with verified, quality approved refurbishers.

Refurbed clearly states on our website that we are a European marketplace, which we are proud to be, as this offers the best product range to our Irish consumers.

end quote....

there mainly using wholesale resellers such Foxway (Latvia - example) amongst others .. Where they are saying that dealers are 'Selected'? Very much doubt that is the case and would be very much of the opinion that they allow wholesale resellers to sell directly through there portal. This means that they do not have to carry physical stock or it is a minimum if they do. It will also leave open issues where warranty is concerend and I know of a couple of instances where they have been somewhat reluctant in honouring warranty.

the other issue is that it is unlikely that the product is even in Ireland and is sourced in mainland Europe and so avoid VAT via VAT Margin sales.

(Whilst this is not exactly the main topic it is part of the issue also)... A major probelm that is happening at the moment in Ireland over the last few years with 'Pop Up' shops masquerading as repair shops and selling vat margin products (Mobile Phone/Tablets mainly) and therefore affect established Irish Business's who have to apply VAT. Thats apart from other dubious practices that these shops get up to .. the most common being the 'Charge Port' scam & Good luck trying to get any warranty in any way or form and also trading under multiple business names even continuing to trade under a name when the Company is delisted from the C.R.O .... same crowd have 3 shops under different names, in close proximity to each other meaning it makes no difference then which shop is used as they are (Behind the scenes) all the same owner/s ...

And thats not even beginning to look at the low quality cheap components being used, and an even more abysmal repair standard. its high time that Revenue/Customs & Trading Standards took a good look at these crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

^^^^^. And there in lies the endemic problem since the pandemic: quality of repair of home user tech in general has gone off a cliff. For me it means there is no solidly dependable agent to send my smartphone off to:

The Irish repair fella will now say:

It's too newI / it's too old./ yah it's new sure but you only paid X amount for it.

Buyer beware more than ever, and check on the box before opening that you get what you ordered especially in relation to iPhone models.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,525 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Have to say this has pushed me to cheaper phones which are almost cheap enough to be disposable if they break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

Your last point Dave is spot on. I've bought a few bits as I said from refurbed. Only had 1 issue in warranty which was dealt with superbly. In the last year I bought an iphone off a very prominent store on adverts (also has 2 physical stores). Within a month the battery needed replacing. What they replaced it with was a cheap ass part that expanded and popped the screen off. Got that replaced at additional cost as it was outside of the replacement batterys 28days. The new battery is rattling around inside the phone.

Absolutely woeful service from them. I don't think I'd buy from any of those phone stores in Ireland again and instead I'd look to someone like refurbed or swappie etc... Never used that last one btw just using as an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dave34

most iphone replacement parts will give a message screen or battery saying that they are non genuine. Even if you use a brand new oem battery or screen say from a new phone. This is due to Apple using serilization on there parts. The new iphone 15 ports have a chip on then now which we suspect will do the same.

The inly method currently is to remove the chip from the old component (screen) and transfer to replacement and with battery the process is slightly more difficult as the complete top part of the battery - what is called the B.M.S or Battery Monitoring System - needs to be removed from the original battery, swapped to the replacement battery then connected to a tool similar say to the JCV1s and reset the cycle count etc. then when placed in the phone it will show as the original genuine battery with correct serial.

Most shops don't/won't do it as it is time consuming and as the phone has likely had a previous repair the original parts are not available to retrieve the serial chips . Some information can be retrieved from the handset but serials are far more difficult to program. The 'Pop Up' shops never move chips & all that can be recovered is degausing serial and truetone ...

The sooner our trade is Regulated & Licensed & monitored (As it should be!) the better for the trade and for the customer! You can guarantee that pretty much 50%+ of these 'Pop Ups' would disappear over night and that includes those selling online - they appear & disappear usually within 6-12mnths ..

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

I can vouch for refurbed, have bought a few phones from them, and usually pay for the higher grade. An iphone battery here in Dubln can be done for around 85 euro, well it was last year. And i wouldnt buy here , from anyone.

id be weary about buying any iphones that ppl say are "new" here, ive seen iphones for sale in blank white boxes at almost full price 🤣 not saying this is the case all of the time, but counterfeit for apple products seems to be rife. 🏃‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EssGee

Anyone who's bought laptops off them? Experiences/Opinions? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I bought a  Lenovo ThinkPad X250 off them for €208 last year, it's running very slowly these days, little over a year after delivery so out of warranty but you win some you lose some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

As a benchmark, bought a Lenovo L480 for € 450 cra**y 4 gb ram in january 2020. This was soon upgraded to 8 gb. still runs quite slow. 7th gen i3 processor.

No I mean the spec of the machine. i3, i5, how much RAM etc?

Oh sorry, from the specs in the email

• Lenovo ThinkPad X250
    • i5-5300U
    • 12.5"
    • 4 GB RAM 500 GB HDD
    • Win 10 Pro

Aha yeah theres the issue. 4GB RAM.

Have a look at upgrading to 8GB. Will make a huge difference.

https://www.mrmemory.co.uk/memory-ram-upgrades/lenovo/thinkpad/x250

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Though tbf if trading in an apple phone U get a decent voucher price

Traded in a 14 pro max and got a near new grade A pixel 8 pro

Cost me nothing,I'd e140 voucher left over which my son used to purchase a few games he was after

But one would need to travel to a few Cex shops as they vary in what they will give U,

Cex grand parade Cork classed my 14 pro max as B grade

Yet Cex Blackpool shopping centre gave it an A grade

Similarly my pixel 7 pro and watch a while back were graded B and C in town,

Yet in Blackpool SC were graded A and B

Thanks for the tip, I might just do that... I'm not saying I regret the purchase by the way, you pay for what you get lol

Advertisement