Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refurbed.ie

Options
  • 02-05-2021 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭

Anyone use this site for a refurb? My wife’s phone died and she is looking for an iPhone 8.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭ratracer

I did, a couple of weeks ago. Ordered an XS for my daughter. Quick delivery and the phone is mint, very happy with all aspects of purchase, delivery and quality so far. Phone shipped from Italy I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭ablelocks

check out backmarket.ie too - haven't bought anything from there yet, only found out about it yesterday after seeing an ad on france tv while watching the rugby - looks legit, they have a number of websites across Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Bought an xr from mobile phone locker recently, great prices and fast delivery!!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Anyone know what state the batteries are likely to be in with these phones? I see one of the sites above mentions battery will be minimum 85% capacity, but the others just mention grade of physical appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

In the end my wife went with an Irish company based in Cork called “Get Tech”. Online reviews look good.

• Advertisement

dave oc wrote: »
    Anyone know what state the batteries are likely to be in with these phones? I see one of the sites above mentions battery will be minimum 85% capacity, but the others just mention grade of physical appearance.

The XS I got from refurbed has a battery health of 85%

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Have used them very recently. Paid extra for a "Like New". XR iPhone arrived very fast. On inspection, 4-5 dents around the corners. Paint missing and a few scratches. Was very disappointed.

Got onto them and they said "like new" means that viewing it from a distance of 30cm, you will only see light marks. Obviously large chunks of paint missing can be seen more than 30cm away.

Offered a full refund. Waiting to return the iPhone (as soon as I figure out how to send via a DHL return label).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I recently got the mother-in-law an iphone 8 from phonely.ie - was very happy with the service, price seemed competitive for refurbs and the phone did indeed look like new. Battery was 85% or so, but has been working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

What does "refurbed" mean in this context if the phones only have 85% battery? It doesn't sound like they're actually being refurbished in any way, just that they're used and up to a certain minimum standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

What does "refurbed" mean in this context if the phones only have 85% battery? It doesn't sound like they're actually being refurbished in any way, just that they're used and up to a certain minimum standard.

This and they might have given it a bit of a wipe with a disinfectant tissue!!

At least with CEX, the phones are rigorously graded. An 'A' grade is genuinely like new. I bought an iPad from them before and the included limited-time AppleCare had only run about 20 days or so!

• Advertisement

Doodah7 wrote: »
    At least with CEX, the phones are rigorously graded. An 'A' grade is genuinely like new. I bought an iPad from them before and the included limited-time AppleCare had only run about 20 days or so!

I bought an A grade Apple TV 4K from CEX, and the remote hadn't even been removed from its plastic wrapping. I know they're not all going to be like that, but I was very impressed. That's my definition of "mint". I certainly wouldn't describe an iPhone with an 85% battery as "mint" or "like new", no matter how few scratches were on the outside.

I bought an A grade Apple TV 4K from CEX, and the remote hadn't even been removed from its plastic wrapping. I know they're not all going to be like that, but I was very impressed. That's my definition of "mint". I certainly wouldn't describe an iPhone with an 85% battery as "mint" or "like new", no matter how few scratches were on the outside.

Each to their own opinion I suppose. The phone I got is working perfectly and was less than half the price it would be new. It’s for a teenager, battery life will last a day, same as any new iPhone I’ve ever had. The 85% is good enough for me to think I’ve got a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

85% battery means the phone has been well used for at least a year. If anything it's in need of a refurb rather than just had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

My three year old iPhone X has a battery maximum capacity of 86% and has obviously been used daily. It has been in a case since day one and is perfect in every other respect. I would not anticipate CEX giving it an A-rating if I was to trade it in there.

And to be honest, there is very little in the difference. €250 cash for an A and €225 for a B-grade so I wouldn't be too fussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bought a Samsung note 10plus from them last week. Arrived yesterday. Condition was advertised as Very good. They have different grades on the site pay more or less depending on that.

Phone looked like it came out of a shop . Box not so much that had wear on it. But the device is perfect free from any marks . Delighted with it .

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

quarryman wrote: »
    85% battery means the phone has been well used for at least a year. If anything it's in need of a refurb rather than just had one.

I’ve an 11 Pro on 92% battery capacity and it’s 1 year and 4 months old. I use it every single day for music, emails etc.

Reducing the capacity to 85% in a year would require some serious usage!

My 2-year-and-two-month-old XR, which was both my work and personal phone, was retired at the weekend on 91% battery capacity (replaced with a 12 Pro).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

For battery context, my iPhone 8+ is at 86% battery health.

That's with 3 years, 8 months usage at ~3.5 hours screen on time per day.

I'd been planning to get a 12PM, but this one is still going well despite heavy usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭CptMonkey

I got a iPhone 8plus from mint for herself and the battery says 100. Second phone that I have got from them. I presume that means it has been replaced.

The first phone did however have a dead spot on the screen in the too left corner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

i don't get people whinging about the batt health

if you that worried , go buy a new one ffs :D

expecting pristine from bargain basement sites

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

I bought off of https://www.refurbed.ie/ recently. iPhone 2020 SE. Happy enough with the experience really. Got phone within the week. Only slightly annoying thing was no notification of dispatch. So felt a little iffy as to when would get phone. Resisted urge to contact them to find out delivery time. Mine came from Netherlands 🇳🇱

Bought from this site as slightly better value than competitors. As in got better condition for similar money.

www.refurbed.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 45 NatashaB16

Glad to hear that you didn’t get a dispatch notification (well not glad to hear it necessarily but glad to hear I shouldn’t expect one!) - bought a phone on Sat evening and haven’t heard anything since the initial email confirming my purchase. I was resisting the urge to email them too, so I’m happy I saw this post as it’s put my mind at ease lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 magootoo

Any sign of phone yet? Ordered on Monday and haven’t heard anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Am new to this - need to buy a tablet for kids homework - the price difference between new and refurbed is not really substantial. For example on CEX a 32gb apple ipad is 400 euro, you can buy a new 9th gen with 64gb memory for the same price.

What am I missing here....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

CEX are a rip off. Have a look at Apple refurbed on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cloud09

I'd stay clear of them the batteries don't last. They also still have my phone I sent it back under warranty as the battery wasn't lasting on it they wanted 39 euro just to look at it. I bought two phones off them the first phone they refunded me the money for it as the battery was cooked. They won't send me back my phone until I pay 39 euro even though they haven't fixed just told me there's nothing wrong with the battery. I'd stay clear your only buying problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dave34

been looking over this company lately as they have a major advertising campaign it seems lately.

From what I can gather they are a German based company who are acting as a 'Re-Seller' portal. Whilst they may carry some of the products themselves it seems a lot is being sold via a third party. I've also had people bring phones into me with different issues from weak batteries to screen/touch issues. Obviously I have to refuse to work in them due to potential warranty issues but give advise accordingly.

just to make people aware then so that buying from such a company is not really helping the Irish market when there are many [struggling] Irish business being affected from this type of trading...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mecija

Hi All, I purchased a Samsung Gear S3 smartwatch from refurbed on July 22nd. After 2 months, the watch displayed a software error and will not recover from this. Having contacted Refurbed, they queried if the watch had come into contact with water and I replied that it had periodically when taking a shower. On this basis Refurbed will not cover this under warranty. Consumers, please be aware of this when purchasing a smartwatch from Refurbed that it cannot get wet otherwise, you risk voiding warranty. This goes for sports watches also. Please share this as much as possible so that you do not have the same experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Really expensive compared to what you can get if you shop about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭gmacww

To be fair to them. This is clearly stated on every single product they sell right up front in the info section:

Note: Through the process of refurbishing the IPxx certification can no longer be guaranteed and, for example, water damage is therefore excluded from the warranty conditions.

So if you bought a watch with that clearly stated. Got it wet and then tried to claim warranty that's on you and not refurbed.

Advertisement