Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pros and Cons of buying a Donkey

Options

Comments

Donkeys are social creatures . They bray a lot if they are alone , which is why the donkey sanctuary boards them out as pairs

That's a good point. OP, if you're going to keep one donkey, you might as well get a second. They form extremely strong pair-bonds, like horses do. They can become a bit inseparable.

Like horses, they do not limit themselves to their kind. They can befriend a cow, or a sheep, just as easily. But company is very important. Donkeys are very gregarious.

As byhookorbycrook says, make sure you have access to a farrier. It might be hard to get a farrier just to pare your monkey's hooves — farriers are in short supply — so you could ask around a local yard, and have their farrier pop-by when he's doing their horses.

Otherwise, they're low maintenance. Just a few wormings per year, depending on which animals they're sharing a field with.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,811 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I love donkeys.

To anyone reading this, if you have any money at all to spare, give it to the Donkey Sanctuary. Donkeys have particularly urgent foot-care needs, because they originate from hardened climates where their feet are naturally worn by their environment, but can over-grow on Irish soil.. The Irish Donkey Sanctuary go all around the country, tending to donkeys' feet.

To the OP, if you have half an acre of grass and the time and temperament for a donkey, you will be richly rewarded.

They are fantastic creatures. Very intelligent. Biblically modest, none of the haughty arrogance of horses. It should come as no surprise that Jesus Christ rode into Jerusalem on the back of the same animal that carried his pregnant mother into Bethlehem. Everybody's life is enriched by having a donkey in it. Nobody in human history has regretted befriending a donkey.

Quite

4j2ag0e.gif?noredirect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

It might be hard to get a farrier just to pare your monkey's hooves — farriers are in short supply

I’d say monkey farriers particularly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭pgj2015

There is a field near me with 2 horses and 1 donkey. any time I pass, the donkey is always on his own. the 2 horses are always together. kind of feel sad for the poor donkey.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pros
    Any good donkey will know the way home from the pub at the end of the night.
    Way better auto navigation than a Tesla

Cons
    https://imgur.com/gallery/Rjld6

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Either achieve coitus or get coitus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

pgj2015 wrote: »
    There is a field near me with 2 horses and 1 donkey. any time I pass, the donkey is always on his own. the 2 horses are always together. kind of feel sad for the poor donkey.

Could be that he’s being an ass

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

begbysback wrote: »
    Could be that he’s being an ass

You have obsession with ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Pro - you have a donkey
    Con - you have a donkey

IMG_2505.JPG

You can use it to transport tired monkeys, in style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

People refer to 3 legged donkeys as a “wonky”, but actually 3 legs is the most efficient and stable arrangement of legs, as per tripods and 3 legged stools. So be sure to get a 3 legged one if you have uneven ground and you don’t want it to wobble.

I think you'll find work health and safety don't think 3 legs is sufficient. Minimum is 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think you'll find work health and safety don't think 3 legs is sufficient. Minimum is 5.

How about he buys a werewolf then?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

there is no NCT for donkeys, well not that i know of

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

fryup wrote: »

Nutrituional Carrot Take?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Pro: You’ll get to correct everyone when they call it a dunkey instead of a donkey ... thus leading to vast airs of superiority

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Cheap transportation

Donkey ****t everywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Can you help me out with a Pros and Cons list for buying a donkey. What I have o far:

Cons
    I'll need to buy a bigger bed

this springs to mind :P

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Donkeys are social creatures . They bray a lot if they are alone
    Ah, that is how Bray got its name...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Cheap transportation

Donkey ****t everywhere...

donkeys generally ***t in a couple of places and not everywhere. they are fairly clean animals

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

fryup wrote: »
    Technically it's the NDT.

• Advertisement

If you were to have sex with the donkey the offspring would be a mule.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 32 moslo

donkeys generally ***t in a couple of places and not everywhere. they are fairly clean animals
    Same with pigs and they have an even worse press re cleanliness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Can you help me out with a Pros and Cons list for buying a donkey. What I have o far:

Pros
    I'll have a donkey
    The Tax Credits

Cons
    I'll need to buy a bigger bed

Honestly, you'd be better off with a girlfriend.

Can you get them on eBray ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The dental bills are outrageous

And when they decide to go for the gold tooth option

It’s mortgage time

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The dental bills are outrageous

And when they decide to go for the gold tooth option

It’s mortgage time

We are a platinum grillz family

51DjFvjNWhL._AC_.jpg

Imagine Mr. Donkey rocking them bad boys

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Wait until they decide to get married to a dragon.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

If you do get a donkey they need a dry shed to get in and out of as they need, they feel the cold a lot more than horses so a rug from November to may as they have very dry skin that's not great at throwing off the water, they need company like us all so get 2 if possible, and remember they can live up to 30 years so be prepared to be in it for the long haul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Pro - You now have a donkey

Con - You now have a donkey

Advertisement