Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Belfast Round trip Cycle (In one day)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

:D

Ah lord, you can get away with nothing these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

. Do you have any thoughts about what I should take with me for the journey?

An E-bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭rolling boh

You will have to step up your distance quite a bit before such a cycle as has been said Dundalk would be a good trip for you to aim for .I think a long distance would be different going to a point and back than doing something similar in loops near to your home .Am sure lots have done it but would require a lot of cycling prior to it .

Dublin-Belfast-Dublin. I did it years ago when I took part in the Maracycle. We cycled up to Belfast, stayed overnight (and went out on the beer!) and then cycled back to Dublin the next day.

I remember the hill coming out of Drogheda was the point that I began to really suffer. I was getting cramps in my feet (I suspect my shoe/cleat setup was incorrect) so I had to walk for a bit.

The finish was in the RDS in Ballsbridge. When we arrived there, we had a quick bite to eat and then cycled home to Coolock.

Doing the same again but all in one day would be a real challenge. The route is pretty boring and the wind would play a big part in your overall time.

It’s not something I’d like to do myself. I would like to do Dublin to Galway, or maybe Galway to Dublin (depending on wind direction)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭blackvalley

I am reasonably fit, late 30’s, but my weight is a little high at 12 stone. I’m about 5”8. I could do 25km per hour. For how long, is another story. If I do this in June/July, I will have 17 hours of light and hopefully better weather. Do you have any thoughts about what I should take with me for the journey?

Take the advice of the experienced cyclists here. Put in plenty of training over 6 - 9 months including multiple 100 K trips
    OTHERWISE. The most important thing you will need is your medical card or money for a taxi .
    Best of luck 🀞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Dublin-Belfast-Dublin. I did it years ago when I took part in the Maracycle. We cycled up to Belfast, stayed overnight (and went out on the beer!) and then cycled back to Dublin the next day.

I remember the hill coming out of Drogheda was the point that I began to really suffer. I was getting cramps in my feet (I suspect my shoe/cleat setup was incorrect) so I had to walk for a bit.

The finish was in the RDS in Ballsbridge. When we arrived there, we had a quick bite to eat and then cycled home to Coolock.

Doing the same again but all in one day would be a real challenge. The route is pretty boring and the wind would play a big part in your overall time.

It’s not something I’d like to do myself. I would like to do Dublin to Galway, or maybe Galway to Dublin (depending on wind direction)

Which route did you take? Is it legal to use the M1?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's illegal to cycle on a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... Is it legal to use the M1?
    Ah Jesus - if you're planning a cycle to Belfast and back, you should know the very basics.

Even if it was legal to cycle on a motorway, why would you want to?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In addition, I would not recommend cycling on the A1 dual carriageway north of the border (which is not motorway but much of it has 70mph speed limits).
    Far too busy with fast moving traffic for my comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

In addition, I would not recommend cycling on the A1 dual carriageway north of the border (which is not motorway but much of it has 70mph speed limits).
    Far too busy with fast moving traffic for my comfort.

The M1 becomes N1 at the Ballymac junction (Dundalk North).
    I would not recommend cycling on it, but it is legal to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭rolling boh

If you stayed off the busy main roads how far is it ? it seems a real slog especially with any sort of a headwind making it way beyond the vast majority of cyclists .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

07Lapierre wrote: »

That's a long time ago. The first time, I did it was 1986(I think) It started and finished near the the airport.

Which route did you take? Is it legal to use the M1?

The M1 wasn’t built at the time! I did it around 1986. It was basically Dublin-swords-Drogheda-Dundalk-Newry and then Belfast. Same route back.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    That's a long time ago. The first time, I did it was 1986(I think) It started and finished near the the airport.

Yeah I seem to remember starting at Santry Stadium and finished at the RDS? That right?

EDIT: your correct. I’m confused because one year (most likely after 1986), we bumped into a group returning from Belfast and we just tagged along. We cycled with them to the RDS. Two different memories!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Eamonnator wrote: »
    The M1 becomes N1 at the Ballymac junction (Dundalk North).
    I would not recommend cycling on it, but it is legal to do so.
    The N1 between the M1 and the border is pretty much motorway standard.
    The A1 (in NI) has motorway speeds but has plenty of entrances both public roads and private entrances). Its a lot better than it used to be but still pretty unsafe.
    But yes, both completely unsafe on a bicycle.

Advertisement