Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Belfast Round trip Cycle (In one day)

Options
  • 29-04-2021 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

Has anybody attempted it? Is it possible to do for somebody who cycles 20km per day into work and has never worn the yellow jersey? Which leg is tougher? Dublin to Belfast or Belfast to Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,285 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Definitely not, unless you're a real pro and roads are closed off for you. It's a solid day one-way only for a very strong cyclist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,570 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a 360km round trip. if you managed 25km/h, you're looking at 15 hours in the saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭steinbock123

When I was a small child, I was always fascinated by my uncle who used to cycle from Dundalk to visit us on many a Sunday in south Dublin. He’d have his lunch and head back home. This was in the days before the motorway, so I remember the same car journey with my dad driving steadily used to take ages, ( it seemed to me as a chiseler). My uncle used to say it was always worse going back.

When I was a small child, I was always fascinated by my uncle who used to cycle from Dundalk to visit us on many a Sunday in south Dublin. He’d have his lunch and head back home. This was in the days before the motorway, so I remember the same car journey with my dad driving steadily used to take ages, ( it seemed to me as a chiseler). My uncle used to say it was always worse going back.

My god, he must have been some man. I'd say crossing the Mournes and doubling the distance would add several degrees of difficulty though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

cgcsb wrote: »
    Definitely not, unless you're a real pro and roads are closed off for you. It's a solid day one-way only for a very strong cyclist.

I can think of a few on here that could do it, and they're not pros.

I think I could just about do it myself too, but would be looking at 18 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭positron

It is certainly possible. We have folks who ride 300k, 400k or even 600k events amongst us - so I am sure it's certainly possible.

There's even an ultra running race Dublin to Belfast or Belfast to Dublin (usually just one way) that happens every year.

It's certainly doable on the bike with the right motor (rider)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I might give Dundalk and back a go. As I understand the law, the M1 is not an option? R 108 seems a better place to start.

cgcsb wrote: »
    My god, he must have been some man. I'd say crossing the Mournes and doubling the distance would add several degrees of difficulty though.

You don't really cross the Mournes though. It's fairly rolling, but it's 1400metres climbing in total if you want it to be. The distance is the challenge I'd wager.

Weepsie wrote: »

Sounds like a punishment more than anything else to me. It would be 18 hours solid on the saddle. If I done it I would check myself straight into hospital rather than go home. :pac:

I said I could do it, I didn't say I would enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭positron

I might give Dundalk and back a go. As I understand the law, the M1 is not an option? R 108 seems a better place to start.

M1 is the best choice. Avoid M50 though.

/S

Weepsie wrote: »

I am reasonably fit, late 30’s, but my weight is a little high at 12 stone. I’m about 5”8. I could do 25km per hour. For how long, is another story. If I do this in June/July, I will have 17 hours of light and hopefully better weather. Do you have any thoughts about what I should take with me for the journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

One way Dublin to Belfast with a tailwind might be a more realistic aim - but even then you wouldn't want to go from 20km to that

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I am reasonably fit, late 30’s, but my weight is a little high at 12 stone. I’m about 5”8. I could do 25km per hour. For how long, is another story. If I do this in June/July, I will have 17 hours of light and hopefully better weather. Do you have any thoughts about what I should take with me for the journey?

What is the furthest you have cycled currently?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,807 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

20km a day commuting is not adequate prep for a 380km cycle. Do a 100km first and see how you feel, and what your average speed is.

You can buy food etc along the way, but you'd want to have some basic repair kit with you - have a look at the Audax thread and see what sort of kit those guys have with them.

What is the furthest you have cycled currently?

About 40 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

About 40 km.

If you’re serious you would want to start ramping up that distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

About 40 km.
    I’m planning on doing one way Dublin to Kerry next month spread over 2 days and I got my first 100kms ride in last week with an average of 20 kmh which I hope to do each week till the big trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

loyatemu wrote: »
    20km a day commuting is not adequate prep for a 380km cycle. Do a 100km first and see how you feel, and what your average speed is.

You can buy food etc along the way, but you'd want to have some basic repair kit with you - have a look at the Audax thread and see what sort of kit those guys have with them.

Solid advice. Done several long days on the bike including Cork-Belfast a few years back, when the Giro was on. Took us over 20 hours.

You cannot under-estimate how slow you will get after 100k, if you havent done this type of distance before. You might be doing 25k for the first few hours, but might be 15-20k after that. Managing food intake is another issue, a lot of people fail on long cycles because its hard to eat enough when you're not used to being on a bike after 4 hours.

Work up to it. Do a 100k, then a 200k and a 250k. Have a backup plan, i.e. train / someone to pickup.

mh_cork wrote: »
    Solid advice. Done several long days on the bike including Cork-Belfast a few years back, when the Giro was on. Took us over 20 hours.

OMG, where are you buried?
    That's some treck. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I did Rush, Co Dublin to Belfast and back in 2014. (My first 300k ride). The return leg was tougher due to a headwind. It is relatively flat IIRC.

https://www.strava.com/activities/177902316

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

Just to add to all the other good prep advice. Building up the time in the saddle before your attempt also will help with knowing just how sore your ass will get on the saddle after so many hours. Just saying what we all thinking :D

....I will have 17 hours of light... .... what I should take with me for the journey?
    Regardless of daylight don't go without long lasting lights. A couple of punctures and mechanicals can seriously erode time. You don't want to be in the dark with fast moving traffic and without a light.

What I do for a 300k ride is allow an overall average of 20km/h (not a moving average). This generally allows for food breaks etc. so I would give myself an estimated elapsed time of 15 hours for a 300km ride.

I did Rush, Co Dublin to Belfast and back in 2014. (My first 300k ride). The return leg was tougher due to a headwind. It is relatively flat IIRC.

https://www.strava.com/activities/177902316

He's lying, this is his daily commute!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Friend of mine in school was a competitive cyclist and would cycle home to Dundalk after a race in Dublin.

He’d get a lift up, race then cool down on the way home. And this was before the M1.

Same lad used to smash everyone else in the bleep test too.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭JerryHispano

To add to what others have said, you should do a good bit of training before attempting it, and not just all in one go. Increasing time/mileage by 10% per week is the typical rule of thumb. An overuse injury is no fun. You'll also figure out how much you need to eat as you go to avoid hitting a wall.

Good luck!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

it's a 360km round trip. if you managed 25km/h, you're looking at 15 hours in the saddle.
    Reckon I could do it in a third of that!
    I'd only need a turbo or rollers strapped to a trailer!

mh_cork wrote: »
    You cannot under-estimate how slow you will get after 100k, if you havent done this type of distance before. You might be doing 25k for the first few hours, but might be 15-20k after that. Managing food intake is another issue, a lot of people fail on long cycles because its hard to eat enough when you're not used to being on a bike after 4 hours.

Friend of mine did Dub-Cork a good few years ago, took him about 12hrs, if I remember correctly. Would have been quicker only he took a wrong turn just as he got to Cork and ended up on the road to Mallow, so had to backtrack a bit.

He said the same, you just cannot get the grub into you quickly enough. There's only so many chicken fillet rolls and packets of Haribo you can eat in one day. After his third food stop, he was just getting back on the bike somewhere in Tipp and felt the urge to go to the jacks. He found some rural pub with an outdoor toilet and when he went to use it, he remembered he never brought a lock with him (for weight purposes).

So he brought the bike into the stall with him. The image of him wrestling with the bib shorts, the bike vertical in the stall beside him as his cleats are slipping all over the tiled floor is something else. He's still adamant that the ordeal was easier than eating the 4th roll later on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Friend of mine did Dub-Cork a good few years ago, took him about 12hrs, if I remember correctly. Would have been quicker only he took a wrong turn just as he got to Cork and ended up on the road to Mallow, so had to backtrack a bit.

He said the same, you just cannot get the grub into you quickly enough. There's only so many chicken fillet rolls and packets of Haribo you can eat in one day. After his third food stop, he was just getting back on the bike somewhere in Tipp and felt the urge to go to the jacks. He found some rural pub with an outdoor toilet and when he went to use it, he remembered he never brought a lock with him (for weight purposes).

So he brought the bike into the stall with him. The image of him wrestling with the bib shorts, the bike vertical in the stall beside him as his cleats are slipping all over the tiled floor is something else. He's still adamant that the ordeal was easier than eating the 4th roll later on that day.

I've done a couple of those ultra type 24hr non stop spins, bread rolls are the worst things i can think of to eat on them, I can't imagine how that fella felt after 4 rolls.....

Little and often is my way to go, if you have a support car it's easier but for me a combination of porridge, meusli, pots of rice pudding, hard boiled eggs, fatty ham at short stops along with the usual energy bars and drinks on the bike got me through. Never underestimate the power of a bottle of full fat Coke either, I don't particularly like it, never really drink minerals normally but if I'm feeling the pressure badly a Coke and a loin bar is my port in a storm....

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    ... a loin bar is my port in a storm....
    :D

Advertisement