Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French generals cause backlash with 'civil war' warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

[
    Sous les pavés, la plage

Ideally yes. They used concrete under my patio though and now there is a drainage issue.

listermint wrote: »
    I know like let's ask for example Hitler what we should do with people who refuse to integrate or whatever other made up stuff you can sling at people. Othering its called.

Have folks here considered looking at what's going wrong in your own lives before looking past your front door for blame.

Issues with my patio drainage. Puddles or goes into a soakaway at the foundations of my house :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

I know like let's ask for example Hitler what we should do with people who refuse to integrate or whatever other made up stuff you can sling at people. Othering its called.

Have folks here considered looking at what's going wrong in your own lives before looking past your front door for blame.

To be honest the only examples of othering in France is the violence towards innocent civilians seems to be from Islamic extremists

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Classic mind your own business shìte talk, keep the simpletons occupied with the premier league or coronation street and other inane day to day stuff while the house burns down around you, good of you to bring up Hitler, it shows the level of debate your capable of

• Registered Users Posts: 28,274 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Overheal wrote: »
    I fail to see how the letter can be classed politically neutral, the presence of politically charged rhetoric speaks otherwise:

I just wonder if there's a very fine line they are walking by calling for existing laws of the republic to be enforced.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This is a profound event.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I just wonder if there's a very fine line they are walking by calling for existing laws of the republic to be enforced.

Sending that kind of letter they knew what gonna happen and they did it because has huge support
    The army people know the rules and has full understanding about punishment
    Retired could lose them pensions and get into prison and they know that very well
    At the moment army of France stand against president of France

• Site Banned Posts: 32 AmyMurphy22

This is a profound event.

It's drama, that's all. It's what the French are good at. Recall - the French declared war on Germany in WW2. Germany took over France in weeks - took Paris in a day. They're a shambles.

It's drama, that's all. It's what the French are good at. Recall - the French declared war on Germany in WW2. Germany took over France in weeks - took Paris in a day. They're a shambles.

Why did the germans take France so quickly do you think

The extreme efficacy of the German army didn't mean their opponents were a shambles. Nazi Germany didn't lose a land battle until 1941.

French army were pussies. The generals who signed the letter probably are too - waited until they retired to avoid any actual fighting. If there's a French civil war, it'll be a race to see who can surrender first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

There have been other wars than ww2. Many of which France won. Does everyone get their views from the Simpsons.

Irish people slagging off France for their military is interesting.

Senior military figures in an EU country in 2021 writing such a letter is shocking

About number of years ago there was a number of arrests made in Germany Special forces team which was planning killing of the top member of Germany government to bring to power ultra nationalists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_X_plot

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeepItLight

Cretinous take, probably the single dumbest thing I've ever read on Boards.ie (and that's saying quite a lot).

People have every right to be disgusted at the political class for destroying their nation with multiculturalism for the sake of GDP.

There have been other wars than ww2. Many of which France won. Does everyone get their views from the Simpsons.

Irish people slagging off France for their military is interesting.

One of the greatest win ratios of any military powers but still cheese eating surrender monkeys because some morons saw the Simpsons and listen to baseline British humour from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Many reasons, a weak left wing government who were terrified of the army and refused any plans that were deemed too aggressive instead opting for passive defence, as they were afraid of high casualities. A refusal to give DeGaulle his armoured divisions manned by professional soldiers only instead of conscripts, because they considered it a risk to them. They had the best tanks of the early war but they squandered them as infantry support.

Concerted efforts by French communists to undermine army morale in order to help Uncle Joes ally, Adolf

Many, many, reasons

The French seem to have an ongoing issue with having indecisive leadership in charge of major player in world power.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Treppen

Hard to disagree with that statement

I'm reading it and not really seeing much substance to it.

Only fact I see there is that a professor was beheaded... Sooooo.... now there's going to be a civil war!!

French army were pussies. The generals who signed the letter probably are too - waited until they retired to avoid any actual fighting. If there's a French civil war, it'll be a race to see who can surrender first.

I'll leave you to your ignorance, theres no point trying to educate people who get their learning from cartoons and comedians, maybe sometime you'll use your brain and try educate yourself

One of the greatest win ratios of any military powers but still cheese eating surrender monkeys because some morons saw the Simpsons and listen to baseline British humour from time to time

Q: How do you confuse a French Soldier?
    A: Give him a rifle and ask him to shoot it.

Q. How do you introduce yourself in French? A. "Don't shoot, I give up!"

Are you surprised some people absorb opinions they've heard from the pop-culture they consume and regurgitate it as it's their own take?

That being said, you'd still think the name Napoleon would ring a bell.

• Advertisement

That being said, you'd still think the name Napoleon would ring a bell.

The midget?

Is this part of gay propaganda in british forces :D

probably from the same cohort that quotes Dunkirk as if it was a victory

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This could be a shot across the bow as France is going to election 2022 in which Macron and Le Pen are facing each other again.

Bambi wrote: »
    Many reasons, a weak left wing government who were terrified of the army and refused any plans that were deemed too aggressive instead opting for passive defence, as they were afraid of high casualities. A refusal to give DeGaulle his armoured divisions manned by professional soldiers only instead of conscripts, because they considered it a risk to them. They had the best tanks of the early war but they squandered them as infantry support.

Concerted efforts by French communists to undermine army morale in order to help Uncle Joes ally, Adolf

Many, many, reasons

The French seem to have an ongoing issue with having indecisive leadership in charge of major player in world power.

Coupled with the fact that they had the second highest human loss after Russia in ww1, total devastation of every town and village in France caused primarily by German forces and the fact that every country in Europe descended on france to hash out their differences, theres a village in the south of France where every man that went to fight died in battle, not 1 man returned, and you're telling me that it was a weak government, there was no appetite for another war where a generation of men were wiped out defending Europe from the Germans

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Treppen

A lot of brave French people fought against Hitler.
    They were occupied for a couple of years. Ireland on the other hand.... few hundred years

Try pulling the same 'joke' about cowardly Irishmen up in Belfast.

1/10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,720 ✭✭✭growleaves

I disagree. They're only a joke to armies who never fought against them.

The Australians fought the Vichy French. The Italians fought the Free French. Both considered the French very fierce.

I agree people should stand up to corrupt institutions and not wait until safety in retirement. But to do that you mostly need courage and coherence based in transcendental beliefs, and those are in short supply.

biko wrote: »
    This could be a shot across the bow as France is going to election 2022 in which Macron and Le Pen are facing each other again.
    Looks like somebody will repeat Dominique Strauss-Kahn story :)

Well how could they shoot the rifle? By firing a different gun? It is a nonsensical request.

• Advertisement

Treppen wrote: »
    A lot of brave French people fought against Hitler.
    They were occupied for a couple of years. Ireland on the other hand.... few hundred years

Try pulling the same 'joke' about cowardly Irishmen up in Belfast.

Do you think the provisional IRA were "brave" too?

Advertisement