Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering from Canyon - Basic Query

Options
  • 27-04-2021 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭

First time ordering from Canyon for me.

The order process didn't request any payment details like credit card details. Is this normal for Canyon? Do they just take the order and then send you the bill to pay before shipping?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

DeepBlue wrote: »

The order process didn't request any payment details like credit card details. Is this normal for Canyon? Do they just take the order and then send you the bill to pay before shipping?

They send you an invoice and you transfer the money to their bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

^ It's a very German setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

I just got a bike recently and used spliit there instalment plan. They don’t charge until a week before they ready to ship. They also cancelled my order as the system was saying Ireland was in the uk and they were increasing prices to the uk. I got on to their chat and they processed manually

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Frank11

What did you order, if you don't mind me asking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Frank11 wrote: »
    What did you order, if you don't mind me asking :)
    Endurace CF SL 8 Disc -> https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road-bikes/endurance-bikes/endurace/endurace-cf-sl-8-disc/2948.html

They went out of stock a few months back when I was about to pull the trigger but are back in now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Endurace CF SL 8 Disc -> https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road-bikes/endurance-bikes/endurace/endurace-cf-sl-8-disc/2948.html

They went out of stock a few months back when I was about to pull the trigger but are back in now.

Stunning bike - best of luck with it.

I had my eye on a gravel bike from Canyon but dilly dallied for too long and now they're out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Frank11

Very nice, thats the one I was after but I managed to pick up an AL 2nd hand recently.
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i was looking at buying an endurace in feb 2020

i just got an email saying its ready to order !!!!!!

and 2021 colours arent nice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

i was looking at buying an endurace in feb 2020

i just got an email saying its ready to order !!!!!!

and 2021 colours arent nice

Yep, they're probably not the best. The grey looks too close to white and I hate white bikes so that left only the "off navy" (aka green). It wouldn't be my first choice but in this case I don't have a choice. I suspect it will grow on me. :)

Btw, quite a few of the options are already sold out so if you're still thinking about it you might need to move fast.

Lovely bike. Was about to buy in February but out of stock. Best of luck, I'm jealous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Btw, quite a few of the options are already sold out so if you're still thinking about it you might need to move fast.

nah bought a 2019 di2 synapse for 2.5k instead. my size already gone by the time I read the email in "dark navy "!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I got the same bike back in October in blue colour .. lovely bike, so smooth and love the di2 groupset. Glad i got it when i did as they sell out real quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Question on this. Could you figure out any difference between the DT Swiss E 1800 Wheelset on this model and the DT Swiss E 1850 Wheelset offered with the 105 ?

The 105 also uses a threaded BB even though the frames are the same.

In relation to ordering from Canyon and the bike scheme I posted a question at the end of https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058114306

If someone is in the know could they answer either there or here ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Question on this. Could you figure out any difference between the DT Swiss E 1800 Wheelset on this model and the DT Swiss E 1850 Wheelset offered with the 105 ?

The 105 also uses a threaded BB even though the frames are the same.
    I think the DT Swiss 1800 and 1850 wheels are always the same, they are badged 1800 if you buy them alone, 1850 if they come as part of a bike

I think the DT Swiss 1800 and 1850 wheels are always the same, they are badged 1800 if you buy them alone, 1850 if they come as part of a bike

I get the impression there is a difference after a chat with customer service (he wasn't sure either as you can see), otherwise all models would use 1850 instead of 1850 for 105s and 1800 for Ultegra

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Whats to stop you getting a bike on the payment scheme, paying once and then giving them the two fingers and keeping the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I get the impression there is a difference after a chat with customer service (he wasn't sure either as you can see), otherwise all models would use 1850 instead of 1850 for 105s and 1800 for Ultegra

I suspect he doesn't know what he is talking about and weight was just a generic response

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Whats to stop you getting a bike on the payment scheme, paying once and then giving them the two fingers and keeping the bike?

This?

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/blog-content/blog-splitit.html

I received the attached from Canyon. The cost of the bike is over the allowed 1250 though. My employer is saying that revenue won't permit them to pay the entire amount and then deduct it from my salary minus the tax relief. They are saying I will need to get Canyon to issue two invoices, one to them for the allowed amount of 1250 and a second one for the balance to myself.

Is this correct, has anyone got Canyon to do this ?

• Advertisement

Also what is the VAT that Canyon is being talked about that can be reclaimed ? If the basket total price of a bike is say 2500 euro and you order it yourself outside the bike scheme you pay 2500 and get the bike. I presume VAT is included.

Is this not the same regardless of who is invoiced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I received the attached from Canyon. The cost of the bike is over the allowed 1250 though. My employer is saying that revenue won't permit them to pay the entire amount and then deduct it from my salary minus the tax relief. They are saying I will need to get Canyon to issue two invoices, one to them for the allowed amount of 1250 and a second one for the balance to myself.

Is this correct, has anyone got Canyon to do this ?

I'm not aware of any Revenue issue with that. I've bought from Canyon. Company paid full value. I transferred the surplus direct to my employers and then the BTW element is taken from payroll.

Also what is the VAT that Canyon is being talked about that can be reclaimed ? If the basket total price of a bike is say 2500 euro and you order it yourself outside the bike scheme you pay 2500 and get the bike. I presume VAT is included.

Is this not the same regardless of who is invoiced ?

Canyon won't charge VAT on the invoice. Your employer will have to account for that so that you pay the VAT inclusive price @ 23%

Crocked wrote: »
    Canyon won't charge VAT on the invoice. Your employer will have to account for that so that you pay the VAT inclusive price @ 23%

Not quite following this.

Scenario A:

Let says you are not going through any bike scheme and buying the bike yourself. Your basket shows 2500 at checkout and that's what you pay. It includes VAT as you are the end user but the key point is it's not added on to the 2500. Basket shows 2500, you pay 2500 and get the bike.

Scenario B:

You use the bike scheme, you transfer 1250 and your employer transfers 1250. You don't care about invoices but your employer does, you ask Canyon to invoice your employer for 1250 and they do this. VAT is included in the 1250.

I gather what's described in Scenario B is not the case. So how does it work, what is different ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Why does your employer care? The invoice doesn't need to be split as it's a bank transfer. It's not like they're going through a payment portal online. It literally makes no difference.

My employer paid no questions asked, didn't care that it was a German bank account or anything.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Why does your employer care? The invoice doesn't need to be split as it's a bank transfer. It's not like they're going through a payment portal online. It literally makes no difference.

My employer paid no questions asked, didn't care that it was a German bank account or anything.

They said they need to pay for audit reasons and this makes sense. Does it make sense to pay 1250 and have an invoice for 2500 ?

Still don't get the VAT thing if anyone can clarify

What happens with your lbs when someone wants a bike that's 2500 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Scenario A:

Let says you are not going through any bike scheme and buying the bike yourself. Your basket shows 2500 at checkout and that's what you pay. It includes VAT as you are the end user but the key point is it's not added on to the 2500. Basket shows 2500, you pay 2500 and get the bike.

Scenario B:

You use the bike scheme, you transfer 1250 and your employer transfers 1250. You don't care about invoices but your employer does, you ask Canyon to invoice your employer for 1250 and they do this. VAT is included in the 1250.

I gather what's described in Scenario B is not the case. So how does it work, what is different ?
    They said they need to pay for audit reasons and this makes sense. Does it make sense to pay 1250 and have an invoice for 2500 ?

Still don't get the VAT thing if anyone can clarify

What happens with your lbs when someone wants a bike that's 2500 ?

I'll do my best to clarify, not an accountant, just a farmer who does his own VAT return.

If I buy parts for my Claas tractor from the dealer up the road he'll charge me vat, I'll pay it to him, then reclaim that amount from Revenue at the end of the month.

If I buy parts for my Claas tractor from a dealer in any other EU country I'll give him my VAT number (there's a website he can check me on) and he'll zero rate the transaction. When I account for that in my books, I'll charge myself VAT on the goods on one side and reclaim the money on the other side so the nett cost to me is zero. If I were to sell on those parts I' have to charge the buyer VAT.

Because your employer is a business Canyon won't charge them VAT, but they will have to account for the transaction in their books, and presumably charge you VAT on the bike when they "sell" it to you.

Again that's my working understanding of the situation, no one has arrested me for VAT fraud yet but someone might have a more complete explanation

Scenario A:

Scenario B:

In my case in scenario B where the Company was being invoiced Canyon asked for VAT number. Then sent invoice for the Ex VAT value. Employer then grosses it back up and you pay VAT inclusive price to Employer and they pay that to Revenue through VAT return.

Edit: what Nilhg said above

Crocked wrote: »
    In my case in scenario B where the Company was being invoiced Canyon asked for VAT number. Then sent invoice for the Ex VAT value. Employer then grosses it back up and you pay VAT inclusive price to Employer and they pay that to Revenue through VAT return.

Edit: what Nilhg said above

Except I presume you pay the VAT inclusive price minus 1250 and they then take the 1250 minus tax from your next salary run.

• Advertisement

Except I presume you pay the VAT inclusive price minus 1250 and they then take the 1250 minus tax from your next salary run.

So based on a bike price of €2.5k if buying privately would work as follows

Canyon will invoice the Company €2,032 (VAT excl) and that's what the Company will pay Canyon.

You still have to pay the Company €2,500. €1,250 salary sacrifice and €1,250 outside the BTW. The extra €468 that you'll have paid to the Company over what they paid to Canyon they then pay to Revenue on their VAT return.

Advertisement