Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Films that are hard to watch..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,086 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Such a movie would be a hard watch too, but for entirely different reasons!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Class_of_%2792

Some already mentioned that I watched because of the talk

Serbian film is just ****ed up.
    100 days of sodom

Never heard of martyr's (2008). Threw it on and really wished I hadn't.

There's a Japanese movie about mass suicides, can't think of the name now. Was kinda interesting but very weird. The sequel made it even more confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

My wedding video :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

breezy1985 wrote: »

I dont think I've seen that. It's not the one in which gary neville has trouble locating the cutlery drawer is it? That scene is stuck in my mind for some reason but might be from something completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭limerickabroad

Don't think it's been mentioned yet but Precious is a very tough watch

Don't think it's been mentioned yet but Precious is a very tough watch

Is it any good

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭limerickabroad

Is it any good
    Personally, I thought it was too grim - utterly unrelenting misery, really - even with a somewhat upbeat ending

Personally, I thought it was too grim - utterly unrelenting misery, really

Ya it lacked whatever it is that makes grim movies watchable.

The limited series This Much I Know Is True is the same. It just piles on every type of tragedy you can think of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I thought Seven was grim from start to end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

We need to talk about Kevin, just so depressing but great performances from Tilda Swinton, Ezra Miller. And John C Reilly.
    Irreversible (not sure what's wrong with the poster who said it was hot, unless your depraved it certainly isn't hot)!
    The Mist The ending is just so depressing and hate it was changed from the book ending.

We need to talk about Kevin, just so depressing but great performances from Tilda Swinton, Ezra Miller. And John C Reilly.
    Irreversible (not sure what's wrong with the poster who said it was hot, unless your depraved it certainly isn't hot)!
    The Mist The ending is just so depressing and hate it was changed from the book ending.

We Need To Talk About Kevin is shockingly depressing

Enter The Void also made by Irreversibles Gaspar Noe is almost as hard a watch

Manchester by the sea
    City of god

Both fantastic mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I Care a Lot - the premise is about a woman who cons the courts into giving her power of attorney over perfectly healthy elderly people, then cuts them off from their family and sticks them into care homes to be drugged up while she drains their wealth. Its pitched as a black comedy but the premise is unsettling. Its not particularly funny either tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Manchester by the sea
    City of god

Both fantastic mind

Haven’t seen City of God in ages, there’s one scene that puts me off watching it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭emo72

Under the skin, I think with scarlett johansson. One or 2 harrowing scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,910 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dark Lies the Island

Depressing As ****

The Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Ludikrus

Lost in translation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,599 ✭✭✭✭siblers

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Dark Lies the Island

Depressing As ****

That was awful muck

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Lost in translation.

Is it for some deeply personal reason. Cause I cant remember much in it that is hard to watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,263 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

We Need To Talk About Kevin is shockingly depressing

I remember seeing that in the cinema when it came out. Haven't been able to watch anything with Tilda Swinton in it since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

Saint Maud was difficult to watch and very disturbing at times . Brilliant though after the event and easier to watch a second time in probability
    Very ambiguous..

The Woodsman with Kevin Bacon is a difficult watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,507 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The Woodsman with Kevin Bacon is a difficult watch.

In a similar vein, Sleepers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

It's interesting how different things affect us. One film that's pretty tame by this thread's standards, but left me feeling disturbed for weeks afterwards was The Vanishing (1988). I saw it at around the same time as a young French woman, Céline Figard, went missing in the UK. She was 19, the same age as myself at that time. She disappeared a few days before Christmas in 1995. Her body was discovered a week or so later. I probably conflated both stories (even though one was real, the other fictional), but I genuinely felt despair for weeks after that Christmas period. I guess the real life case made the film seem all that more real (it was chilling enough as it was), and I haven't been able to watch it again since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

noodler wrote: »

Fantastic movie, that one, with a star cast

Is it for some deeply personal reason. Cause I cant remember much in it that is hard to watch

Yeah that was a cool movie. A bit sparse but nothing triggering?

The Human Centipede. Freakiest fecking thing ever. I kept switching channel but going back to it.
    I'm surprised it hadn't been mentioned yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

The Human Centipede. Freakiest fecking thing ever. I kept switching channel but going back to it.

I was just about to post this and also agree with all of your depravity so far like Dead mans shoes and Leaving las Vegas.
    Funnily enough, I only watched Manchester by the sea last night. To say i cried is an understatement, I was weeping and had to calm myself down. It's a fantastic movie, so raw and moving, I'd highly recommend it and we seem to enjoy similar things so I reckon you'd like it/cry yourself to sleep:p

I found Warrior tough to watch when Nick Nolte breaks down in the hotel room. The fact the National play in the background adds to the heartbreak. It highlights the despair of alcoholism and hit a massive nerve for me, its very well done.

What's love got to do with it..the story of Ike and Tina Turner, I found incredibly hard to watch.

Dancer in the dark is a movie I never want to think about ever again. I watched it years ago and had to go outside for fresh air afterwards, panic attack inducing.

Porklife wrote: »
    I was just about to post this and also agree with all of your depravity so far like Dead mans shoes and Leaving las Vegas.
    Funnily enough, I only watched Manchester by the sea last night. To say i cried is an understatement, I was weeping and had to calm myself down. It's a fantastic movie, so raw and moving, I'd highly recommend it and we seem to enjoy similar things so I reckon you'd like it/cry yourself to sleep:p

I found Warrior tough to watch when Nick Nolte breaks down in the hotel room. The fact the National play in the background adds to the heartbreak. It highlights the despair of alcoholism and hit a massive for me, its very well done.

What's love got to do with it..the story of Ike and Tina Turner, I found incredibly hard to watch.

Dancer in the dark is a movie I never want to think about ever again. I watched it years ago and had to go outside for fresh air afterwards, panic attack inducing.

My sister from another mister :)
    Warrior is another one of my all time favourites just because it is so real and hard hitting plus Tom Hardy (swoon).
    I saw the Tina Turner movie some time ago and yes, it was tough going even more so that it is a true story.
    I haven't seen the last one you mentioned though.
    I must watch Manchester by the Sea soon I imagine it would move me as I'm always crying at movies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,642 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I think Pink Floyd's The Wall directed by Alan Parker is a good contender as I much prefer the bootlegged video of the Earls Court performances from 1980 instead. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

THE KING

Son of pastor completes his stint in US navy and tries to reconnect with Dad who is estranged from him.

Very Bloody ending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Second one was even more hard to swallow, bad pun intended, just dont even bother. The various Hostels also soulless disturbances. At least Saw's had story
    Beasts of the Southern Wild - depressingly hollow.
    Misery - brilliant acting, tough watch
    Jacob's Ladder - in the wrong frame of mind leaves you very unsettled, but brilliant.
    American History X & Romper Stomper brilliant but tough subjects
    Spirited Away - people read way too much in to it, soulless unlikeable characters it's almost devoid of real humour so leaves you deflated, strange movie for kids.
    AI - depending on your mood - brilliant or long
    A difficult must watch is Schindlers List
    just a random selection of top of my head

wil wrote: »
    Second one was even more hard to swallow, bad pun intended, just dont even bother. The various Hostels also soulless disturbances. At least Saw's had story
    Beasts of the Southern Wild - depressingly hollow.
    Misery - brilliant acting, tough watch
    Jacob's Ladder - in the wrong frame of mind leaves you very unsettled, but brilliant.
    American History X & Romper Stomper brilliant but tough subjects
    Spirited Away - people read way too much in to it, soulless unlikeable characters it's almost devoid of real humour so leaves you deflated, strange movie for kids.
    AI - depending on your mood - brilliant or long
    A difficult must watch is Schindlers List
    just a random selection of top of my head

Hostel was disturbing, I saw the first one.
    American History X had some brutal scenes but was a good movie.
    Romper Stomper was of its time but was brutally violent.
    Misery was troubling back then, the book was just as good. It was a fairly accurate movie adaptation which didn't work with some of other King's books so it was successful in that sense.

I'd add Clockwork Orange to that in the same vein that it was brutal.

A horror which I found freaky was Last Rites based on true stories of possession in Rome. Saw it in the cinema and found the long road home spooky in the dark but my sister didn't seem bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

My sister from another mister :)
    Warrior is another one of my all time favourites just because it is so real and hard hitting plus Tom Hardy (swoon).
    I saw the Tina Turner movie some time ago and yes, it was tough going even more so that it is a true story.
    I haven't seen the last one you mentioned though.
    I must watch Manchester by the Sea soon I imagine it would move me as I'm always crying at movies!

You know how weirdly its nice to feel maudlin and you can relate to things despite having not experienced them ..dancer in the dark is a different level of discomfort. It kinda like..twists your soul or something..its not a relatable storyline but it punches you in the face relentlessly. I wouldn't recommend it but im glad in a way I've seen it.

Punch drunk love is another uncomfortable watch. Great film but you almost feel like you have ocd after watching it. Adam Sandler is outstanding it as is Emily Mortimer. Really enjoyable yet uncomfortable.

I'd also throw Magnolia up there, the only movie i can tolerate Tom Cruise in. Great soundtrack by Amiee Mann too. Philip Seymour Hoffmann is fantastic in it.

I like your descriptions but haven't seen them.

Black Swan, fxked up but good.
    Split, serious acting but disturbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

noodler wrote: »

Great movie, one that will keep me up late on a school night, from a great book.

From what I could, the claim in the titles about it being a true story doesn't stand up.

I watched Rosie last week - tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Recently watched The Nightingale... found that pretty bleak and depressing, an overwhelming sense of no hope throughout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Dancer in the Dark has the added curve ball of the music being so good that it has has drawn me back in for a rewatch.

• Advertisement

Savior....there a multiple moments in this that are close to unwatchable. Powerful stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53 ✭✭gladerunner

Schindler's list and in that vein, Sophie's Choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Kids was a hard one to watch, or at least back in the 90s it was, not sure what the impact of it today would be
    I spit on your grave (the original one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Garage: an Irish film starring Pat Shortt.
    Happiness directed by Todd Solondz.
    Both very good films but you will not be in a hurry to watch them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The uncut version of Event Horizon where they eventually get to see the footage of the previous crew is unwatchable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Salo, centipede, Serbian film, tusk, seen them all but none of them are close to that one about James bulgers killers; can't remember the name and don't want to, only an hour long and I had to turn off after half an hour, awful, awful, awful, jesus I'm near in tears now thinking about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

emo72 wrote: »
    Under the skin, I think with scarlett johansson. One or 2 harrowing scenes.

Yes I forgot about that the whole beach scene is harrowing :(

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The uncut version of Event Horizon where they eventually get to see the footage of the previous crew is unwatchable

That movie properly scared the life out of me especially the scene where Jason Isaacs is translating the old crews final video

Sophie's Choice.

Almost always never included in any DVD video complilation of Meryl Streep collection. I can imagine why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bunny_mac

The Garage: an Irish film starring Pat Shortt.
    Happiness directed by Todd Solondz.
    Both very good films but you will not be in a hurry to watch them again.

Oh god, The Garage. It's so depressing.

Also, Boys Don't Cry.

Tried to watch Saving Private Ryan and couldn't make it past that opening scene.

Downfall would be a very bleak movie if it was about almost anyone else

• Advertisement
Advertisement