Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whinging feminists in the media

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭B2021M

Feminism is cancer just like every other cause that treats its antagonists like they are a hive mind and not individuals (e.g BLM).

Yes and there is an irony in that we live in such a liberal time where people are told they can be whoever they want to be and are individuals.....but then it includes campaigns entirely based on groups with just one thing in common eg feminism, BLM...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Reported to AGS, many will go to RCC for support.

Back when I was college age. I had a couple friends friends and knew of acquaintances that were sexually assaulted/raped. None of them went to the Guards to report it. They felt they wouldn’t be believed as it happened on nights out so they were drinking. It leaves a scar that many women need services of RCC to help them deal with the fallout afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,921 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

py2006 wrote: »
    Isn't the woman who founded the first women's shelter barred from these shelters and or ostracised by the feminists community now because she dared suggest men are victims too and need shelters.

That is a memory that just popped into my head, she was interviewed on Irish radio about it a couple years ago. I could be wrong.

So I've heard. What's your point? There are shelters for women which only happened due to activism and persistein the face of opposition, over decades. You call it cancer.

The only way there will be shelters for men is if a similar cancer activates to lobby for men's shelters in the face of opposition and over decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

So I've heard. What's your point? There are shelters for women which only happened due to activism and persistein the face of opposition, over decades. You call it cancer.

The only way there will be shelters for men is if a similar cancer activates to lobby for men's shelters in the face of opposition and over decades.

You are mixing me up with somebody else with that cancer stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Economics101

Back to Actuarial science, insurance, and discrimination. I thought that the type of discrimination which is (rightly) illegal is when it is due to pure prejudice and without any rational basis: such as not hiring someone because of their skin colour or gender. If there is statistical/actuarial evidence that one belongs to a high risk group then having to pay a higher premium is not caused by prejudice, but by evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Overheal wrote:
    Actuarial science is, arguably, scientifically-backed bigotry.

Let's say the CIA discover an e-mail from the Taliban saying on May 7 they will send 10 male martyrs on flights to the US.

When May 7 comes around, do you think the police at US airports should be watching everyone equally (all races and sexes) or should there be an extra focus on middle-eastern looking males?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Morgans wrote: »
    If they were issues, the men who have been in power for millenia and currently remain in power would surely have sorted them. It's not for the lack of representation that the issues are still a factor.

Your assumption that those in power are guided by the identity politics of gender is a false one. For most of the last 1,000 years in Ireland the men AND women in power were focused on the personal. The majority of the population were regarded as sub human to be used and abused. To look at that history through a gender discrimination lens shows a deep (and worrying) misunderstanding of every aspect of history. It is up there with young earth creationism and flat earth theory as an almost wilful ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

FFS. Here we go again.

Its a new broadcasting authority rule. For every 10 threads on Boards complaining about anything with feminism in the title, they are entitled to have an article published in a paper.

If you really care about the lack of coverage of male issues, go write an opinion piece for a newspaper, ring in to Joe Duffy, start a facebook group or do any of the things that advocates for other causes have done to draw attention to their plight.

Do you think the solution to male problems are to stop women talking about theirs?

It's about balance and one side not shouting down the other into oblivion which is what happens now. Men are almost voiceless.

Gatling wrote: »
    All which effect men and women ...

Apart from the overwhelming negative effects are suffered by men

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

99nsr125 wrote: »
    It's about balance and one side not shouting down the other into oblivion which is what happens now. Men are almost voiceless.

And yet here we are in a thread of men trying to shout down women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There was a thread recently discussing that Men’s Aid didn’t have money to keep their phone lines open, it was a busy thread with a lot of talk about how women’s support lines weren’t closed or that feminists weren’t helping Men’s Aid.

Someone suggested donating directly to Men’s Aid to support them and a new thread was created but only 3 or 4 people donated.

People are more interested in ranting about women and feminists than actually doing anything to help men or men’s rights.

Exactly. There are a lot of issues affecting men but a lot of those whinging about feminists dont reallly care.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when i hear a lot of the sort of arguments in threads like these i wonder if you gave a lot of people the choice of being a man or a woman, which would they choose for an easier life?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Gender quotas are the opposite of a meritocracy, therefore I am steadfastly against them. Having the most qualified candidates stepped over because they are the wrong gender makes zero sense to me. That's all.
    Except that's not how it works in political parties. Quotas do not stop people from running for election. Whose turn it is to be selected is a more likely reason and those who get the hump often feel like they are victims of that. The use of political quotas has a further purpose, to make it a more attractive option for women. That is a good thing no matter how crude it may seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

This is it though. Women have an activist group who lobby for their issues. They have worked for decades in spite of tremendous opposition and now we have a situation where there are places for women to go if they find themselves in those situations, women are taken seriously when they report abuse and its in the culture to care about women's issues.

But instead of simply supporting men's lobby groups to do the same things on behalf of men, we have weekly threads giving out about how successful women's groups have been at achieving change. They will simultaneously mock them for being ineffectual and also bemoan the progress made for women and hasn't been made for men. All without a hint of irony.

If half the threads whinging about feminists, were actually about positively supporting men's issues, then men would be in a better place. You can tell what people care about by how they approach things. If they cared about men's issues then they'd start threads about those issues. But they care about giving out about feminism so thats what they start threads about. These threads whinging about feminists are fine in so far as they're completely harmless and useless. Get it all up, you'll feel better in the morning.

I disagree. I learned a lot from various posters. A new perspective. But you have a point. You are either part of the solution or problem. So I will make contribution to men's aid. I teach in a boys school and I highlight male issues.
    I think the media hypes it all. The vast vast majority of men will never assault a woman.
    Most men and women want to get on with their lives.
    The one area I do have sympathy for women is that they are often left holding the baby in terms of men leaving.
    However men get a raw deal in the courts and with the housing situation often end up in a bedsit - if they are lucky.

Did I claim otherwise?

I said people were more interested in whinging about that than doing anything to counteract it.

Those threads were proof of that. This thread is more evidence of it.

No, men are defending themselves from egregious sexism. Writing articles pillaring one section of society because of your own inadequacies fųcks all of society

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Apart from the overwhelming negative effects are suffered by men
    Only if you believe that and feel that are being targeted.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Women feel uncomfortable as it is traditionally a man's game, and the patriarchy prevent women from feeling welcome or equal. Also it was designed by a man and the game only has one female piece due to hatred of women. Men want to erase women.

Something along those lines.

Jesus, hate men much ?

The Queen is the most powerful piece if it escaped your bias

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Women faced with inequality, organised, protested over many years.
    Why does it seem men just 'whinge' about issues while doing nothing themselves?

Please give an example of today's daily feminist article.

It has to be said that the lack of female politicians probably was a factor in the poor provision of childcare in Ireland.
    But our poor mental health services affect both men and women. As obviously does our housing crisis.
    The media just like a good row.
    We saw it with the public vs private sector debates.
    Valid as that debate was - it took away from other debates such as what sort of society we wanted post crash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

is_that_so wrote: »
    Except that's not how it works in political parties. Quotas do not stop people from running for election. Whose turn it is to be selected is a more likely reason and those who get the hump often feel like they are victims of that. The use of political quotas has a further purpose, to make it a more attractive option for women. That is a good thing no matter how crude it may seem.

So why not quotas for other under represented groups? Poles, Chinese, traveller, working class people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I've seen this posted a lot recently. Disagreeing with an opinion is not shouting down. Expessing a minority opinion where the majority disagree doesn't mean others are piling on or shouting you down.

Everyone is free to post their thoughts, whether you like them or not. Counter, challenge and debate them if you wish, but claiming you're being silenced is akin to a tantrum.

spurious wrote: »
    Women faced with inequality, organised, protested over many years.
    Why does it seem men just 'whinge' about issues while doing nothing themselves?

Please give an example of today's daily feminist article.

I'd have to go through the Sunday ind. I'm sure there is one. You have a point about protests. But I think it's better to focus on joint interests. The media love a good feminist rant. Fills the pages. But in the end probably achieves SFA except to wind up people who read that stuff. Not saying it's all irrelevant.. It ain't but just achieves SFA.
    I'm no longer reading the Irish times or ind because I'm sick of the sermons..

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    So why not quotas for other under represented groups? Poles, Chinese, traveller, working class people?
    Gender in society splits about 50/50 is why and it includes all of these secondary groups here. If a race/minority group approach can get a party more seats they'll embrace it.

I've seen this posted a lot recently. Disagreeing with an opinion is not shouting down. Expessing a minority opinion where the majority disagree doesn't mean others are piling on or shouting you down.

Everyone is free to post their thoughts, whether you like them or not. Counter, challenge and debate them if you wish, but claiming you're being silenced is akin to a tantrum.

Jesus wept. I suppose we need gender quotas on threads now!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I broadly support feminism in terms of equal pay.
    I also support more female politicians though I think the 40% candidate rule too much too soon. Means some decent male candidates getting dumped.
    I know sexual harassment and attacks are real events.
    I think possibly that they are on the increase due to various factors. I'm not sure what the solution is but please don't pretend it can be sorted out with an education program.
    However I'm a bit tired of every single newspaper having at least one moaning feminist per day.
    You never see any articles about male issues. Issues on which men come out worse than women

Which decent male candidates?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,324 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Jesus wept. I suppose we need gender quotas on threads now!

Do we? I'm a woman and that reply was to a woman who thinks women are shouted down on boards.

Do you not agree that everyone has a right to post their opinions?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Women are polish, Chinese, traveller etc also

I'd have to go through the Sunday ind. I'm sure there is one. You have a point about protests. But I think it's better to focus on joint interests. The media love a good feminist rant. Fills the pages. But in the end probably achieves SFA except to wind up people who read that stuff. Not saying it's all irrelevant.. It ain't but just achieves SFA.
    I'm no longer reading the Irish times or ind because I'm sick of the sermons..
    One develops or should develop an ability to seek out the message in all the noise of these articles. Even in what we dislike there is often a nugget or two to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Gatling wrote: »
    All which effect men and women ...

Life Expectancy - women have higher life expectancy
    Suicide - more men kill themselves
    Homelessness - a message majority of men make up the homeless numbers
    Child Custody - children go to women unless there's an exceptional issue with the mother
    Sentencing - men go to prison more often, women get a shorter sentence, if they get one, and Docas is better conditions than regular proson
    War - no women have been drafted
    Workplace Deaths - mennmicj more likely to die at work

• Advertisement

Do we? I'm a woman and that reply was to a woman who thinks women are shouted down on boards.

Do you not agree that everyone has a right to post their opinions?

I do. How you can be shouted down is beyond me. It's social media. I often comment on teacher threads and I know I will get hostility.. It's par for the course.
    It's up to you when you think it's gone too far to report it.
    You are entitled to your views but it's social Media.

Advertisement