Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whinging feminists in the media

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

EddieN75 wrote: »
    Imagine saying that about female issues

Do you think the solution to female problems is to stop men talking about themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Smee_Again wrote: »
    There was a thread recently discussing that Men’s Aid didn’t have money to keep their phone lines open, it was a busy thread with a lot of talk about how women’s support lines weren’t closed or that feminists weren’t helping Men’s Aid.

Someone suggested donating directly to Men’s Aid to support them and a new thread was created but only 3 or 4 people donated.

People are more interested in ranting about women and feminists than actually doing anything to help men or men’s rights.

I've thought before that a lot of the complaining about feminism is because someone genuinely feels that no one is fighting their corner and they feel isolated as a result.

I too feel that some then put their energy/attention in to complaining about others who are advocating rather than doing the hard work in building a support structure or network for men.
    That's probably true for some, but I think there are also those who just want things to stay as they are or have done in terms of men dominating certain topics/areas and so they set out to undermine anything that might potentially change that.

Unfortunately, the man who feels isolated and in need of support continues to feel this way as all this goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

purifol0 wrote: »
    Bull****. People pay taxes, yet there isnt an equal or even slightly fair distribution by the state onto which gender support groups those go on.

Did I claim otherwise?

I said people were more interested in whinging about that than doing anything to counteract it.

Those threads were proof of that. This thread is more evidence of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭purifol0

EddieN75 wrote: »
    The Irish times and the guardian seem to be where most of the whinging feminists and their male underlings shout loudest from.

The buildings are sexist
    Covid is sexist
    Everything is sexist and discrimination against me. Change everything, cancel everything else. Life isn't fair, I want more.

They've been given a platform and have made bank from it.
    Adults aren't so susceptible to the bull****, but they've essentially brainwashed children over the last ten years because their message goes unchallenged in schools and colleges.

Did I claim otherwise?

I said people were more interested in whinging about that than doing anything to counteract it.

Talking about it is a good first step. Its confirmation to many who believe they are being gaslit by a complicit govt and media, but they cannot say as much under there own name due to cancel culture and de-platforming.

• Advertisement

Discriminating against men isn't OK even if it makes there lives better.

https://www.thejournal.ie/women-only-professorships-not-discriminating-against-men-4954183-Jan2020/

Legalized gender discrimination is disgusting, an if boardsies point it out you call this whining?

I call the consistent ire aimed at any woman who is advocating for something whinging. The topic of women only professorships is a genuine discussion.

Note. This thread title is talking about 'whinging feminists' not, 'are women only professorships an issue'.

M8 it was only 3 weeks ago we were told that men were responsible for the murder of a woman in London by some copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Talking about it is a good first step. Its confirmation to many who believe they are being gaslit by a complicit govt and media, but they cannot say as much under there own name due to cancel culture and de-platforming.

There was nothing stopping them donating either.

Funnily enough the main thread died a death as soon as donating to Men’s Aid was mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

The citizens assembly have recommended upping the gender quota in political party member elections to 40%

They have also recommended fining or penalising parties who do not meet the quota.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The top rated female chess grandmaster isn't even in the world's top 50. Ask a feminist to explain that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

vriesmays wrote: »
    The top rated female chess grandmaster isn't even in the world's top 50. Ask a feminist to explain that.

Women feel uncomfortable as it is traditionally a man's game, and the patriarchy prevent women from feeling welcome or equal. Also it was designed by a man and the game only has one female piece due to hatred of women. Men want to erase women.

Something along those lines.

M8 it was only 3 weeks ago we were told that men were responsible for the murder of a woman in London by some copper.

You know that isn't what was being said.

What was being said is that most women have experienced being harassed when going about their daily business whether on their way to work or socializing or exercising or whatever.

But, your take on this is a good example of creating a supposed narrative and then being outraged that it was said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭EddieN75

You know that isn't what was being said.

What was being said is that most women have experienced being harassed when going about their daily business whether on their way to work or socializing or exercising or whatever.

But, your take on this is a good example of creating a supposed narrative and then being outraged that it was said.

If it were the other way around he may have gotten a guardian article out of it.

This also happens to men, and most victims of street crime (especially violent street crime) are male.

It reminds me of that statistic I saw which said 1 in 4 journalists killed in war zones are women. Why isn't the statistic 3 out of 4 journalists killed in war zones are men?

I call the consistent ire aimed at any woman who is advocating for something whinging. The topic of women only professorships is a genuine discussion.

Note. This thread title is talking about 'whinging feminists' not, 'are women only professorships an issue'.

I'll think you'll find the ire directed at feminists in the media comes from them blaming men for everything and anything and straight up lying and cherry picking stats to suit their agenda. An obvious one being getting women into position of power by legalizing gender discrimination.

Because with the lack of role models, women have not yet felt that this is a sport which they aspire to excel at.

Why do you think it is?

I'll think you'll find the ire directed at feminists in the media comes from them blaming men for everything and anything and straight up lying and cherry picking stats to suit their agenda. An obvious one being getting women into position of power by legalizing gender discrimination.

Links please.

If it is as common as you, and others, suggest, they should be easy to provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭karlitob

Gender quotas are the opposite of a meritocracy, therefore I am steadfastly against them. Having the most qualified candidates stepped over because they are the wrong gender makes zero sense to me. That's all.

Agreed but like all things it depends.

Politics is not a meritocracy, it’s a popularity contest with real life implications. All sectors in our society must be represented. And I think saying that people ‘should just stand for election’ doesn’t really wash for some sectors. In saying that, politics draws people who want power. I think our female politicians are the same as our male politicians.

Attempts to make other areas/industries ‘balanced’ such as by having female only professorships for ‘gender studies’ which means women talking about women is fine, I suppose. But it’s hard to listen to commentary about it when there isn’t the balance in other industries. It’s often said - and I’ll say it again - there’s no gender balance sought for plumbing, bin men, bouncers, window cleaners etc.

Teaching, childcare and healthcare (not just nursing) are female dominated. Instead of having ‘positive engagement’ and try to get men into these industries for ‘equality’ instead the conversation seems to be that women are almost forced into these jobs - by men presumably - and that they bear the brunt of whatever is topical at the time - Covid in this instance - while in these jobs.

Who drove the lorries across the continent at a time when no one knew nothing about Covid? Who delivered the goods to the shops when everyone thought they might die at the start of Covid? Who made sure our bins were collected? It wasn’t the teachers.

I dunno!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

There was a thread recently discussing that Men’s Aid didn’t have money to keep their phone lines open, it was a busy thread with a lot of talk about how women’s support lines weren’t closed or that feminists weren’t helping Men’s Aid.

Someone suggested donating directly to Men’s Aid to support them and a new thread was created but only 3 or 4 people donated.

People are more interested in ranting about women and feminists than actually doing anything to help men or men’s rights.

I was not aware of this. I will donate now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

karlitob wrote: »
    Politics is not a meritocracy, it’s a popularity contest with real life implications. All sectors in our society must be represented.

How far do you take that? If you are into such things, a person's "identity" can be infinitely divisible like a matryoshka doll. Do we expect parliaments or boardrooms to be a perfect reflection of the pizza pie breakdown of society?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Because you have to be intelligent to play chess, and men are more intelligent than women. Or is it because fewer women play it. How many Irish people are in the top 50? Its for nerds anyway.

karlitob wrote: »
    All sectors in our society must be represented.

This is a game you can't win though.

Male/Female
    Black/White/Brown/Yellow/Mixed
    Gay/Bi/Straight
    Tall/Short
    Fat/Skinny/Slim/Fit/Muscular
    Hair/Bald
    Pretty/Average/Ugly
    Able bodied/Disabled
    Intelligent/Average/Dumb
    And so on.

All it's doing is amazingly dumbing down society while counties like China plough ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,069 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

How far do you take that? If you are into such things, a person's "identity" can be infinitely divisible like a matryoshka doll. Do we expect parliaments or boardrooms to be a perfect reflection of the pizza pie breakdown of society?

Because positions are appointed on popularity and not awarded on merit.

I'm not saying I prefer one system over the other, but they are pretty different in terms of how they opperate.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    This also happens to men, and most victims of street crime (especially violent street crime) are male.

It reminds me of that statistic I saw which said 1 in 4 journalists killed in war zones are women. Why isn't the statistic 3 out of 4 journalists killed in war zones are men?

three important words

men are disposable

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bobtheman wrote: »
    You never see any articles about male issues. Issues on which men come out worse than women

Write one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Economics101

Some years ago a court in (I think) Belgium ruled that insurers could not discriminate on the grounds of gender (or sex as it was termed then). This made proper risk-based pricing almost impossible for insurers. The most notable example is for motor insurance. Insurers are able to discriminate on the basis of age so that young risky drivers are charged more than older less risky drivers. But young male and female drivers must be charged in a similar way, otherwise its sex discrimination and therefore illegal.

Consider the implications: big increases in premiums for young relatively safe careful female drivers and big reductions for young male tearaways. This is effectively a subsidy to dangerous driving and more deaths on the road. Any response from the feminists?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The basic tenet of modern feminism is; women are always agentless victims and men/the patriarchy are always to blame. So it kicks off on the wrong foot off the bat. Well it would do as it's another identity poiltic mired in the oppressed/oppressor narrative and no matter what they will never ever be happy and by its very nature is divisive. It's also almost exclusively the remit of middle class Western White women and their problems. Women of colour and their problems are mostly exotic tokens.

The majority of it in the mainstream is to be found in the "lifestyle" pages of various media outlets, aimed at the middle class, mostly middle aged or getting there suburban mildly disgruntled woman with talk of "spaces", pointless cushions and unlit candles. Written by hacks, hoovered up by eejits. The rest is either found in the pages of fashion mags in between shots of a celeb's cellulite(and how to get rid of it), or in online blogs or tweets of the permanently irritated and irritating. Just as men are more likely to be the overtly aggressive gender and there are more of same, women are more likely to be the never feckin' happy gender and there are more of same(worldwide men score higher than women among the personality traits in aggression, women score higher than men in neuroticism). This stuff sells big. Always follow the money.

The more dangerous form is to be found in some "progressive" work places, mostly American, though the HR harridans aping 'Mercan culture are getting into a lot of work places. NGO's and government looking for votes the rest. Academia has been hijacked by it, but academia has a loooong history of being hijacked by daft politics and run by those looking to promote it for their own sakes. Students grow out of it, unless they see coin to be made, which is the minority.

Most of it can be avoided really. The vast majority of women aren't "feminist" pains in the arse, though like men many will buy into the Accepted Truth de jour. Mostly on the surface and for show. Avoid working in corporate American culture. Work for yourself if you can. If friends and particularly lovers buy into this wholesale, back quietly away and leave them at it. Goes for extreme daftness of any kind really.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Try again. Only 2 of those articles look to be complaining about men and they go back 6 months. What happened to every paper, every day?

Simple, how many times do louise oneill, una mullally, ebun joseph, hazel chu or emma dabiri appear in the irish media, they cant get through a single article without blaming white men for bad things

Advertisement