Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Wick 4 (and possibly 5)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

A 95% rating on Rotten Tomatoes just means that 95% of the reviews are favourable, it doesnt mean the mean review is 9.5 out of 10.

So if all the reviews were 5.1/10 it could possibly have a 100% rating on RT.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I liked the Warriors reference with the DJ, for a 2:49 movie it zipped along and caught myself holding a smile for minutes at a time. The cinematography was great, the Japanese part of the film was Manga come to life and the overhead fight scene was awesome. It beats the pants off Superhero cgi nonsense

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

It was just too long and too fighty. I zoned out with well over an hour left. It was also far too similar to Parabellum, imo.

Like others, I was a fan of the first half of the franchise but it's just gone waaaaaay too bloated and repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Only got to see this last night and I really enjoyed it.

Of course it's OTT and some things are ridiculous such as bullet proof suits and how being run over by a car is fatal to all bad guys but not John Wick but for some people to come on here and award it a 4 out of 10 is crazy.

The production values alone make it worth the ticket price as I thought the colour palette and set design was beautiful on the big screen.

There was also a danger of this franchise taking itself far too serious by adding to its lore and mystery but I think they got the balance right here.

Donnie Yen was a fantastic addition and he stole every scene he was in and I must watch more of his movies.

Keanu Reeves also deserves credit he's in tremendous shape for his age and he has mastered the "yeah" line to perfection.

Highlights for me was the Arc de Triomphe scene, overhead room to room and finally the staircase.

Best use of a staircase since Laurel and Hardy tried to bring a piano up one.

I do hope that the ending is the actually ending as it would be a good finish then but it will be discredited if there's a John Wick 5, but that looks highly liket due to the commercial success of this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

OTT fight scenes. The suit has made him invincible. Didn't hit home like the 1-3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I honestly don't know how these movies are so high rated..While 1 was really good 3 and 4 were terrible.

Its like watching a video game where the character barely speaks and when he does , he just mumbles...

I had to end up fast fowarding it just to get to the end..,,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Homelander

I actually really enjoyed this one, I wouldn't say I disliked 3 but it felt incredibly stale. This one was better - definitely a bit too long and some individual fight scenes outstay their welcome, but overall I found it better balanced and more creative than 3.

The story was passable, incredibly simple but handled well enough, and full of total absurdities that they sell well enough within the film's universe that you genuinely just stop questioning.

Some great individual scenes but I loved the utterly ridiculous nightclub scene with the boss that looked like something from Streets of Rage on the Mega Drive.

Overall, they'll never really capture again what they had with the first movie, but for the fourth installment of a franchise as generally one-dimensional as this one is, part IV is surprisingly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I enjoyed it. It wasnt amazing though. I laughed a few times when he just held up his jacket to stop swarms of bullets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Watched about 20 minutes last night. It was fairly crap. Not sure I want to watch the rest now. Don't know how this has an 8.0 imdb rating.

First john wick was great. 2nd was really good too but this is garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I was watching it last night and after the 5th 10 minute long fight scene where the plot wasn't moving along and the outcome was a given I thought to myself this movie must have been panned by the critics. So I checked out rotten tomatoes and find it's 90+% with both critics and audience alike. I feel like at 40+ years old maybe I'm not the target audience anymore, I can't think of any other reason!? My wife went to bed half way through muttering this is sh*te, I don't blame her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So many bullets wasted when everyone wears kevlar suits.

Have to admit they went in an unexpected direction with the remake of The Warriors.

Too bad we didn't get a cameo or 2 from it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Plenty has been said about the fight scenes, but it's worth noting that this film looked quite stunning: absolutely gorgeous saturated palette, where everything was bathed in deep colour, the compositions often quite striking and cinematic. It looked like a video-game - but in a good way, in the way video games can look like this crazy, heightened version of reality where everything's so vibrant.

It's funny how many films have since tried to ape this more robust, "authentic" style of the Wick franchise - but none have looked as good as these films.

Cos when the OTT action film quite openly mimics a cut from Lawrence of Arabia? Yeaaaaaah, perhaps these ostensibly superficial films deserve more praise for how they look, as well how they ... uh, crunch?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Added to Prime for those interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The fight with Killa was a highlight for me as well. I wasn't expecting him to put up much of a fight at all but he really brought it to John.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,298 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

John Wick - Ballerina has been deyaled for a full year it will be released now on June 6th 2025 instead of the original release date June 7th 2024

There will be a lot of reshoots this year and with Len Wiseman as director I really don't hold much hope for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What a step down from Chad Stahelski. Though this aspect is interesting; is Stahelski taking over the production after bad test screening of the action?

EXCLUSIVE: Lionsgate‘s John Wick spinoff Ballerina starring Ana de Armas will be delayed a year from June 7, 2024 to June 6, 2025. The move comes as John Wick architect Chad Stahelski has inked a new deal with Lionsgate to oversee the franchise. He’s working with Ballerina director Len Wiseman on additional action sequences for the movie, to amp it up even more than it is.

Advertisement