Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your death

Options
  • 22-04-2021 9:25am

Look, none of us are getting any younger.

A local woman wanted to be buried in the lough beside our home, the authorities wouldn't allow it so she had to be plopped in the deep, outside the Shannon Estuary.

This is very morbid, but when my parents bought their graves, they left space not only for one another, but the rest of us (but not the in-laws) children. It's strangely reassuring to visit a grave and know 'well I'll be there, someday'

I am sorry to be morbid, but am more morbid-curious: what are your funeral plans?

Comments

No idea. I like the idea of a family plot though. But don’t have one. A friend of mine has a family mausoleum or Tomb. His parents are in there, it’s big, they just walk the coffin in and down some steps or ramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

After my death, my brain will be donated to the Dublin Brain Bank. There will be a humanist funeral, a cremation and the ashes thrown into the sea where I am from. I don't want to take up any space after I die so cremation is the obvious choice for me. I also like how ashes are called "cremains".

After my death, my brain will be donated to the Dublin Brain Bank. There will be a humanist funeral, a cremation and the ashes thrown into the sea where I am from. I don't want to take up any space after I die so cremation is the obvious choice for me. I also like how ashes are called "cremains".

Mermaid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I want to be cremated with all my receipts for motorbike parts. That way even after my death my wife will never truly find out how much I really spent. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭circadian

I honestly don't care, I'll be dead like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Is your partner ok with you being buried in a different place to them?

No matter how meticulous your plans, it will all fall on some grieving next of kin to organise, most likely at very short notice at a time of great stress. And you won’t be around to check that it’s being done the way you want it.

So I have no plans, because it’s really none of my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Baybay

I’d like any possible organs to be donated.
    Otherwise, it’s about whatever brings comfort to those who’ll be left so they can decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

In my will I am going to insist that my loved ones build a French style trebuchet to launch my corpse wherever they see fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Bin thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I haven't actually thought about it indepth but when I have fleetingly thought about it, cremation is probably the most likely route. I don't fancy the idea of rotting away in the ground.

• Advertisement

Is your partner ok with you being buried in a different place to them?
    Yep. She'll be glad of the peace & quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

excarnation anyone ?

then put my bones in a large portal tomb specially built for me

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Cremation. Knowking my luck, I'm immortal and I don't want to be locked in a box six feet under and not be capable of dying. Seen it in too many movies.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Definitely don't want to be buried near my family that I've come from.. bad enough putting up with them in life. Prefer to start a new plot with my own family. Probably be mandatory cremation and those little ash storage tower blocks by then anyway. Don't want to be anywhere near a Catholic church, would prefer if everyone had a big session in the garden and got sh*t faced and cried and told funny stories about me. Oh and I want to be put to rest with my dog too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Being of an advanced age... and caring about far away family. All my affairs and my arrangements are clearly set out and they have them.

Addresses re pensions and others who need notifying.

Burial etc.

AIB were a help as they sent a booklet" what to do when someone dies" so that my family can access the account.

It is the last kindness I can do for them. I remember when my mother was killed in an RTE and suddenly I was the only person to deal with everything at a time of shock. No way will I inflict that on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Put me in the dumpster and be done with it baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Look, none of us are getting any younger.

A local woman wanted to be buried in the lough beside our home, the authorities wouldn't allow it so she had to be plopped in the deep, outside the Shannon Estuary.

This is very morbid, but when my parents bought their graves, they left space not only for one another, but the rest of us (but not the in-laws) children. It's strangely reassuring to visit a grave and know 'well I'll be there, someday'

I am sorry to be morbid, but am more morbid-curious: what are your funeral plans?

Only make plans for living, they can do what they like with me when I’m dead

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Scatter me over Galway, but don't cremate me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

begbysback wrote: »
    Only make plans for living, they can do what they like with me when I’m dead

Well yes. but have you ever had to deal with all that when someone you love dies? It is really harrowing.

And now it is all done I can literally forget about it. And enjoy living to the very end. having cleared up after myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I've heard that they don't just cremate you and give the ashes to your family. They cremate multiple people and then scoop ash from all of them and put it in an urn. Do you know if there is any truth in that??

Edit: I'd love a big pyre on the local beach where everyone has cans and has the craic as I burn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

biko wrote: »
    Scatter me over Galway, but don't cremate me.

By explosion or would you like to be chopped up?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Would be nice to be disposed of in the most “eco-friendly” manner. I heard someone talking on the radio about a new way where your body is, sort of dissolved, in a liquid solution.

Like with cremation, the bones have to be crushed to dust so there’ll have to be some “scattering” or urn involved.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

If there's room in the landfill, grand, if not stick me in the freezer till next bin day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I want to be stripped for as many parts as possible and then buried in some sort of eco friendly way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I recently gave my plot to my late wife's family.
    Her mam, my pet dragon ;) passed away suddenly last month and it was the last kindness I could pay her.
    I've remarried since losing my 1st wife and at the time of her death, her dad asked me "if I had land".
    It took me a while to grasp what he actually meant with that question and it was that he was happy for her to be buried "with my people".
    I hadn't land, I was 27 even if I did I wouldn't have thought of it at the time and so a plot was purchased.

When my dragon passed, I had a chat with my son about Nana going down with his Mam.
    The grave was never really a place for me or him anyway, it was visited weekly by his Nana and aunts but for us, we rathered remember her without being in a cemetery.

The plot was gifted to them, when my time comes I'll be cremated and scatter me to the winds.
    Remember me and smile, and don't place any obligations on my son, wife or any other relatives to tend a grave or spend on a plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I would like to be put on a compost heap and eventually spread over a vegtable patch. How eco friendly is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

As an idea it is probably for the birds, but sky burial would be the choice for me.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Cody montana

*Jazz hands*
    *Death*
    *Placed of a barge*
    *Burning Love by Elvis*
    *Fire and out to sea*
    *Burnt food for the crabs and fishes*
    *Rage among my family for leaving all my money to save the whales/fishes/crabs*

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Organ donation if viable and if not then leave my body to one of the medical schools for training, I feel like burial/cremation etc is just a waste of money/resources that could benefit others down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

It would be nice to be taken out to sea in a boat and fired overboard with a few weights attached but knowing my luck I’d be trawlered back up and end up in a Donegal catch.
    So probably just the old buried option for me.I want a very simple headstone though,none of the fancy stuff.cheap and cheerful

Advertisement