Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Nearly 24km/h with that much climbing is hardly slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

95km at 26.9kph. Lovely morning for it

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Was there a change in your setup that led to the knee pain? Or is it an old injury? I wouldnt last an hour with knee pain which I had last year. Ain’t nice and detracts hugely from the fun

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I used to suffer terrible with knee pain, I changed my cleats to a mid foot position which helped, seems to be quite trendy now. Still get a numb foot after about 90 minutes though which is really annoying.

I do plan on getting a full bike fit but I know my frame is too big for me so what ever is recommended will definitely start with a new bike...

Not much from me this week, two Zwift spins between nappies and settling. The difference a good night makes is shocking.

Knee pain often caused by poor leg movement when pedalling.

Get on a turbo trainer and put a full length mirror in front and you'll soon see if you throw out the knee on each pedal.

Need to adjust cleats, or saddle height or position from handle bars

Proper bike fit is the best money you will spend

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Nothing has changed apart from my age. There is a fair bit of movement allowed by my cleats when in the pedal which is why I will swap them for the spare set in my shed. At least then I'll know if it is that.

Are your feet ok in general Seth? Reason I ask is I have go to see a podiatrist later this week on recommendation by my GP. I do have a knee issue but I also have issues with plantar fasciitis on the left foot and some Achilles tendonitis on both which I've left go for ages. As a result she reckons the knee issue is being caused by the issues lower down.

On the bike it's just my knee really or if I get out of the saddle for extended periods the Achilles but walking in general I have a multitude of issues. Just thought I'd put it out there.

Nothing changed on the bike for me either, if anything I was cycling less in the last 6 - 8 months and walking more.

I had sudden weird achilles or calf issues last year in each leg/foot but at separate times. Physio, GP and Rheumatoid consultant all have different opinions.

I'm getting the works according to the lady I spoke with on the phone in the podiatrists aka a bio mechanical exam. I know myself my left foot has a more pronounced roll to it so that causing knee pain for me wouldn't be a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Nice 48k spin out to Howth on Saturday afternoon. It was pretty quiet on the coastal cycle route all the way out to Howth, was going to go around the scenic route but decided not as I had ran a park run that morning and my legs were feeling tired. Forgotten how mental it is to be on a bike going through Fairview.

• Advertisement

Forgotten how mental it is to be on a bike going through Fairview.

Drivers in Fairview...

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

First day out on bike after getting that poxy Covid bug over Xmas, went on a nice flat route and almost home when a motorist turning right across my path decided to take me out, sore and damaged bike so that's the end of plans to get my km's back up again

Bollocks! Are you alright?

Did you get all of their details?

My mother in law got taken out of it about 3/4 years ago, only settled for the price to replace the bike and injuries late last year.

Only time I've ever hit a car was my fault.

yeah thanks I got everything and 2 witnesses and reported to Gardai at local station, making a statement tomorrow after I see my GP. Had enough near misses as the behavior of drivers has got worse never mind their driving skills. Getting bike checked out as well doesn't look bad but will find out as don't see why I should be at a loss

Most important thing is you're alright and yes, you definitely should not be out of pocket.

What's the bike material? Steel and aluminum can hold up well but carbon can be tricky to diagnose after a crash.

I'd write off the bike and demand a new replacement along with all equipment on it.

get your receipts together

alu frame carbon fork, shoulder and arm is sore seen my doctor today

Don't want what I don't need Don't want to write my bike off as love it and its only my winter/bad weather bike, will see what their insurance say, at present bike shop giving it the once over, but if bike ruined yes I will

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

all that given, don't forget even a good bike is loose change for an insurance company. often in the 'new bumper on an old micra' territory (i say this cos my sister was the rear ender in a situation like this where a garage quoted 1.5k if it was a private repair or 4k if the insurance company was paying).

keeping all that in mind cause initial report is a list of parts damaged and labour is going to be expensive so will see

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

Wonder if there was enough complaints about iligally parked cars around.....let's say churches for example....would they issue FCPNs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Or schools!

68km this evening at 29.3kph. 433m gain.

Should have got another 20km in, but somebody called over just as I was cycling out the driveway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

First 100k of the year for me today taking in various bits of Kildare and South Wicklow, including Saggart, Kilcullen and Blessington. Bit of a slog and I really struggled to find any kind of pace. I'd also managed to add a couple of what I though were l-roads to my Garmin route which ended up being locked gates to private roads so had a bit unintended random exploring and head scratching. Garmin also died at one point though seems to have continued to record, I really need to either get new specs or something with a bigger screen as couldn't suss what it was saying. 101k with 1k of up at 19kph and way tireder than I should be for such a modest effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭stevencn88

Did my first 100k of the year today with 1330m up. I was 2km short so a few laps of the estate get me over the mark. Sun splitting the sky down at sea level but up military road you could hardly see 100m with the cloud.

Planned 100k today, doing a route I know anticlockwise, but somehow got myself confused and it ended up at 89k.

Started out early so first 45 minutes in darkness. Before I'd left the city, I suffered the worst close pass I've ever experienced on a bike.

Traffic island ahead with just enough room for a car and a lad in a white van overtook me at about 80kp while I passed through it. Frightening experience. Knew he was going to keep coming for me so braced myself and gritted the teeth but he flew past with inches to spare.

Outside of that, a lovely dry ride in mild enough conditions. Did 89k with just short of 1000m climbing at 30.3kph. Didn't feel like January.

Completely uneventful cycle today except at one point I was cycling past the Facebook data centre at the back of clonee, where they've built a completely tokenistic cycle path for a few hundred metres. A pedestrian on the footpath stared very directly at me and quite theatrically pointed at the cycle path I wasn't using. I just had to wonder why even the f****** pedestrians are at it too. There were no cars around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

50k and 600m yesterday.

Over past Mosney. Then Stamullen and a bit of a wandering route to Naul, Ballyboghal, Balrothery, Ardgillan and Skerries.

Gonna do a very handy run to Skerries again now this afternoon.

Post edited by Wildly Boaring on

• Advertisement

107km at 27kph and 1088m gain

Advertisement