Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭this.lad

Woke up early this morning and was toying with the idea of commuting in but decided to get a short spin in before breakfast.

25k @30 km/h, fairly flat route and short.

Lovely morning. Was home, fed and ready to go to work for 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭secman

Spin with a work colleague tonight, he's a Northsider and never experienced the Embankment, Blessington and lake drive spin. He really enjoyed it, a " put manners on you spin" as he called it . He forgot his garmin so we worked off mine . Different strengths, he was stronger on the climbs whereas my descending evened that out. He blew on the gallop from Blue Gardenia. All in all a very enjoyable spin for both of us, in fairness he's a runner but could be very strong on the bike if he chose to put more into it.
    67 km, avg 28kph 600 plus meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Away shortly after 5am from Dublin to Laragh via Sally gap and back via the newly-famous Green road, Ballinastoe/Enniskerry/Stepaside. Gorgeous morning, I am reminded of a promise I made to myself a few years back to go out for real early morning spins in June/July when it is bright but not a sinner about. Didn't see another cyclist until Laragh, only passed another 2-3 before getting back to Stepaside. Only baout 6-7 cars as well between Rathfarnham and Enniskerry

Anyone know whats being filmed at Oldbridge? Place was hopping at 7am, hundreds milling about and more traffic there than anywhere else til I got back to Dublin.

91km, 3h50m, 1300m+ up

https://www.strava.com/activities/5399031209

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

retalivity wrote: »
    Away shortly after 5am from Dublin to Laragh via Sally gap and back via the newly-famous Green road, Ballinastoe/Enniskerry/Stepaside. Gorgeous morning, I am reminded of a promise I made to myself a few years back to go out for real early morning spins in June/July when it is bright but not a sinner about. Didn't see another cyclist until Laragh, only passed another 2-3 before getting back to Stepaside. Only baout 6-7 cars as well between Rathfarnham and Enniskerry

Anyone know whats being filmed at Oldbridge? Place was hopping at 7am, hundreds milling about and more traffic there than anywhere else til I got back to Dublin.

91km, 3h50m, 1300m+ up

https://www.strava.com/activities/5399031209

Wow. 5am. Fair play. A difficult start but I'd say once you'd the first few pedal-strokes put down that must have been awesome.

Can be hard to get clothing right for long spins and early starts too. Nippy am requiring leg and arm warmers and gilets, only to find yourself sweating and sweltering a couple of hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

fat bloke wrote: »
    Wow. 5am. Fair play. A difficult start but I'd say once you'd the first few pedal-strokes put down that must have been awesome.

Can be hard to get clothing right for long spins and early starts too. Nippy am requiring leg and arm warmers and gilets, only to find yourself sweating and sweltering a couple of hours later.

It was warm enough at that time, brought a light foldable jacket with me and put it on at the top of the Featherbeds through to Laragh, but if I didn't have it I wouldn't be freezing either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they're filming some disney movie in ireland at the moment, i believe some filming was happening in enniskerry too recently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,824 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

We must have all been up that way this evening - my first time up Cairnes road/hill - new max HR and 1 min power :) stinger of a climb
    we need an offshoot of the cycling forum, a north county dublin clique.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Plastik

If I was to guess, at Oldbridge I'd say it's more likely to be shooting for Vikings than the Disney movie.

they're filming some disney movie in ireland at the moment, i believe some filming was happening in enniskerry too recently.

Disenchanted, the guy from Grey's Anatomy is in it.

bit banjaxed, definitely not fit enough for the boards evil. 90km, 1500m elevation. rathfarnham up to kippure past cruagh, then sally gap and past lough tay. legs felt cooked as i reached the climb back up into enniskerry after the old long hill.

bumped into an identically clad boardsie - lissard - in the most recent boards gear, just north of glencree.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5411786399

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 bob b

My longest ride of the year today: 95 km around North county Dublin in about 4 hours. It's been a crappy week and I wan angry and annoyed so even pushing my bike out of the house had my heart rate up. The drivers on the portmarnock to malahide road pulled in on top of me or overtook with mm to spare made it even more annoying so I decided to just ignore the world and look at the scenery to Balbriggan. Was mostly zen like untill back into Dublin traffic. Got told of by my wife as I was only going out for an hour or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

1st 100km of the year with 1600m of climbing at 24.3kmh.

Over to Blessington and then up over the gap. Legs were pretty shot by about 80k

https://www.strava.com/activities/5417870173

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Have a charity spin coming up soon so need to get some good saddle time in. Today’s plan was 200km which is as far as I’ve gone since the W200 years ago. The day started out all misty & muggy but improved to make a decent day.
    Loads of folk out but most travelling opposite to me which meant I found no where to hide!!!

202km with 2100m, avg speed 27.5km/h with plenty suffering around the coast roads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Was down in Dungarvan for a couple of days so my old favourite along the coast out towards Tramore, turned at Fenor up towards Kilmeaden and along the N25 for about 5-10km before turning off and heading for some backroads towards Kilmacthomas and jumping on the greenway for the last 10-15km. Nice day for it and the greenway was quiet enough so easy enough to get by groups etc

A few cnoc beag today, Gorey Kilnernnin, Ballycoog, Aughrim,Woodenbridge, Arklow..Gorey.
    65 km avg 26 kph, 650 meters most of which were in first 30 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Called into work this morning but as it transpired I wasn't needed until this afternoon. Luckily had the bike in the car and got out for a spin. 65km @26.1 with 430 of up. Very leisurely for the most part - down the phoenix park, down by the quays, along east wall out by Clontarf and up Howth both ways before looping back for home. Beautiful morning for it

got that vaccine on Friday and was not feeling too good yesterday, but decided I head out and see how I got on, did 103kms, 400M @27kph, around the backroads of Kildare, was nice to be out in warmer weather,

Club spin , Gorey, courtown, up and down a myriad of laneways before hitting Ballygarrett, Cahore, Kilmuckridge, Oulart, Enniscorthy, Ferns and back to Gorey, 85km avg 29.5 kph , 636 meters.
    Lovely weather for cycling.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Been working my through this guidebook of South Dublin and Wicklow routes and have had this circled for a while. 112km with 2,000 climbing.

Eniskerry/Glencree/Laragh/Wicklow Gap/Lake Drive/Sally Gap/Eniskerry.

It was tough but I got through it ok. Stopped for cake in Laragh :)

A bit of a scary moment when I was a bit heavy on the brakes coming down a steep descent and the back tyre skidded and I ended up on the wrong side of the road as a car came around the corner.

Overall a good day out, Sally Gap is a different beast when you already have 90K in the legs.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5424557571

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Dragged myself around for 4 hours today filled with 30second efforts which after yesterday’s exploits hurt like hell. The choice was made to abandon the Sunday coffee as I reckoned if I got a dose of cafe legs I’d need a lift home!

122km with 800m @ 31.5 avg, hard days graft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

76km frossess ardara killlybegs

555164.jpg

555165.png

adrian522 wrote: »
    Overall a good day out, Sally Gap is a different beast when you already have 90K in the legs.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5424557571
    i've a sneaking suspicion you were the year below me in school. do you have an older brother whose name begins with N?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭statto25

Attempted to go on my first club spin this morning but must have got my wires cross as there wasn't a sinner at the meeting point at 9am! Decided to plough on anyway solo and covered 118k in 4:15 with 560m climbing. First 100k of the year and I'm tired now. No chance for any scenery pics in South mayo and Roscommon, cause it's basically just bog!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

i've a sneaking suspicion you were the year below me in school. do you have an older brother whose name begins with N?

No, no older brothers at all, from Kilkenny originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭grouchyman

Out yesterday morning with the club. Lovely when the sun came out but good and cool when it didn't.

121 kms @ 25.4 kph. https://strava.app.link/3GlgTaa2Sgb

100kms at over 25kph was one of this year's goals so very happy with that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Out for a group ride to Trim yesterday with a crew I haven't cycled with since lockdown. First flat spin in a long time as well, 118k with 620m of climbing which was a nice change from the mountains. That said, I'll take the hills of Wicklow any day over rolling roads of Meath and the route had too many main roads for my preference. Lovely day out for all that.

yeah, some meath roads are just boring. the trim road, summerhill road; the old N3 is nice to cycle on though, given it's quite wide but usually reasonably quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Well I got in 500m in 54k of Meath roads this morning.

Drogheda, Old bridge, up to Donore then Duleek via Ros na Rí. Then over the small hills behind Duleek and back down to Donore.

Not a bit of boredom in sight!!

(All livened up by a small crash in front of me. 2nd guy past me tried to take me and the 1st. Just as another dope came out of a junction. Bit of damage down. I was fine, stopped well back. Had a great view of 2 boys both at fault)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

Cycled to and up the Newry canal way today.

Left Drogheda around 6:30 am and of course with an early start it was all rather calm and serene up to Dundalk. Dundalk isn't the prettiest place to hang around either (better than Drogheda, but only just about) so made my way to Newry via a bunch of backroads up and down many hills (Google navigation). Newry looks grand from a distance, but up close it's.. well, I've already insulted two towns, so I will leave it. Once on the canal way however, things are positively great. Within a few kms of leaving Newry up the canal way, you can't help but feel relaxed and drop the pace a bit. It's like you have stepped away from the rat race and stepped into JRR Tolkien's imagination. Well now, that is indeed an exaggeration but just trying to say that given what you have experienced before entering the canal way, the difference is rather stark. Apart from the gates at regular intervals there's nothing much in the way of making good progress on the canal way. There were a few walkers, mostly runners, mature folk or young mothers with buggies out for gentle stroll etc. Parts of the canal way feels like you are cutting thru a forest, but more than half would be out in the open, thru fields of cattle etc - except for one - where I saw a donkey and a donkey-coloured ram, and field further up, another donkey and a donkey sized ram.. an absolute unit of a goat. Poyntzpass and Scarva looked great but I was on a mission to reach Portadown for the 11:06 enterprise service back to Drawda.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5428630555

Overall - if I were do to this again - I will get the train to Portadown and cycle south to Newry, Omeath-Carlingford greeway etc hugging the coast like Annagassan etc. Also I have to mention the canal way was spotless - No dog doodoo to dodge, no graffiti on benches (which there was plenty of), no broken glass or signs of overnight celebrations, waste bins not overflowing, no groups of "young ones" loitering with music blaring out of portable speakers... Same observation applies to Portadown train station as well, nice clean small station. Which then begs one final question.... Are we... err.. you know.. are we the baddies??!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I had planned to test the volare in the hills today but new moment k left the house my legs were a bit tired, plus I was leaving about 2 later than planned. Hit howth instead to test a small climb, went up it slow enough, then Malahide via portmarnock.

Around estuary, onto Ballyboughal where I stopped for an espresso and Anzac biscuits. Sat outside on the wall and checked phone.

Then home and it was just about 5 mins from home when I realised my phone was still in Ballyboughal. Got a lift back and got it thankfully
    70km in 2hrs 40mins

Slowest day on the volare but furtherest so far, though I've only had it 3 days and been out every day

Advertisement