Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relationship issues

Options
  • 20-04-2021 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,
    Just looking for a little bit of advice please.
    First off, my husband is a good person, but can be so thoughtless and a bit selfish.
    We're both working from home since the start of lockdown, we're lucky that it's just the 2 of us in the house so we have the space to work in separate rooms.
    My issue is, even though I know he's very busy at work, I know this probably sounds very petty to some, but all the housework is falling to me. We're both working long full time hours but I am doing 99% of things in the house and I'm really starting to resent him.
    For example, I had a zoom meeting last night, the kitchen was a mess after dinner he went to the other room playing games on his phone and was in bed by the time my meeting finished. He leaves all his dishes etc in the sink as it doesn't occur to him to check the dishwasher. I find myself trying to find ways to nicely ask him to do things as I am sick of hearing myself nag and I certainly know it's driving him mad.
    I'm thinking of doing up some sort of chore chart or cleaning calendar but don't know where to start.
    If anyone can give me some advise on this I'd be really grateful, I don't want this to affect our relationship more than it already does.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

First of all, you're right, it's his bloody house to, so he needs to also work to maintain it, and clean up after himself, you're not his maid or mammy. I'm sure working from home is stressful, but there's no need for him to treat you as so, it's ignorant and disrespectful

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭YellowLead

You need to have a proper big picture conversation about it with him.

Have you told him that you are doing all of the housework and it’s not fair?

Daily ‘nagging’ as you say doesn’t usually work and breeds continued arguments, though it sounds like you don’t do that often if you are being ‘nice’ about how you say it. Some people need things spelled out. He’s either highly ignorant or highly selfish.

Why not agree on a shared routine? Some people split this by set days, others by specific chores - eg. You cook and he shops and cleans up after, you wash he irons etc.

If he won’t agree to it then he’s disrespectful and using you to be honest.

I know you said you didn’t want this to affect your relationship even more but it will continue like this forever unless you sort it. If he won’t play ball then do you really want to be married to somebody who has no respect for you? Don’t be so blinded by love that you let somebody walk all over you.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

dylanchloe wrote: »
    If anyone can give me some advise on this I'd be really grateful, I don't want this to affect our relationship more than it already does.

I would suggest to leave him alone, if you value relationship, leave him alone.
    Do it your self, men less organize you would just annoy and stress him out. When he gets older he might just start do that without even being asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

markmoto wrote: »
    I would suggest to leave him alone, if you value relationship, leave him alone.
    Do it your self, men less organize you would just annoy and stress him out. When he gets older he might just start do that without even being asked.

Are you serious? Why should one person have to clean up all the time if the other is making a mess too?

Op you need to sit down with your partner and have an adult conversation about this, no dropping hints or beating around the Bush. Just explain that it's not fair on you to have to do it all and either suggest a chore chart or maybe alternate days where one person does the chores around the house.

Are you serious? Why should one person have to clean up all the time if the other is making a mess too?

well don't cry when he finds date after you constantly stress him out. If that's really bother you try to find non invasive way, never ever have any sort of "adult conversations".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 dylanchloe

Thanks everyone for your advice.
    I think i will sit him down later when I've calmed down a bit, I cleaned the kitchen this morning before work, it took half an hour which really maddened me, he could have done that last night and we could have spent time together.
    I'm also doing all the shopping, trips to bottle banks, emptying rubbish so it's probably partly my fault for not putting my foot down sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

It doesn’t have to ‘occur to him’ to check the dishwasher because he doesn’t have to, because you keep letting him behave like this. And quite possibly because he was raised that way.

I’m betting this behaviour did not start during lockdown either - it is just magnified now as you’re in the same environment 24/7.

Stop tiptoeing around him. You need to have a cards on the table conversation about this - and you do need to make sure that you are taking into account chores that he does, if any. He needs to understand that it’s not you nagging/overreacting to him leaving his dishes in the sink last night - it’s the cumulative effect of him not pulling his weight, and that it makes your life harder, and is extremely disrespectful to you.

well don't cry when he finds date after you constantly annoy and stress him out. If that's really bother you try to find non invasive way, never ever have any sort of "adult conversations".

Believe me, there is plenty I could nag him about but I keep quiet. If you saw how much work needs to be done here you'd have a different opinion. No one likes to live in a pig sty and I certainly don't enjoy begging him to do something around the house.
    Just to be clear, we are both working full time in stressful jobs.
    He also benefits by having a tidier home, having a full fridge, food in presses etc. I don't nag him for fun or enjoyment. I wrote this post in the hope that someone might share how they split housework etc and I could get ideas from that which would reduce arguments or hassle in our home and leave us time together

I wrote this post in the hope that someone might share how they split housework etc and I could get ideas from that which would reduce arguments or hassle in our home and leave us time together

You do housework your self and invite him on a voluntary basis.
    If he wont come up so do it your self and grow old together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭Tork

You do housework your self and invite him on a voluntary basis.
    If he wont come up so do it your self and grow old together.
    Mark, let me guess. You're not Irish and you come from a culture where women do all the housework?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

What sort of a relationship do you have if you can’t discuss basics such as shared housework without it becoming an issue?

There is nothing more annoying than someone nagging, making passive aggressive little digs and hoping you’ll get the gist.

Can you not simply point out that it annoys you that he does as good as nothing and see what sort of plan you can set up TOGETHER instead of you creating a rota or whatever?

Also, how messy could a house be with only 2 people in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

OP - sit down together when you are not angry and tell him how you feel about splitting household chores.

Could you get a Cleaner in once a week for the bigger jobs ? And then agree on who does what for day-to-day stuff ?

When both my Husband and I worked full-time (pre-Kids) that is what we did and it worked for us.

Tork wrote: »
    Mark, let me guess. You're not Irish and you come from a culture where women do all the housework?

I am sharing Men mindset. If you continue to create that issue you might end up with broken hearth.
    Perhaps find other way to deal with but don't sit face to face and have "adult conversation"

I am sharing Men mindset. If you continue to create that issue you might end up with broken hearth.
    Perhaps find other way to deal with but don't sit face to face and have "adult conversation"

Well good news is that you can replace a broken hearth easily if both partners work full time

Jequ0n wrote: »
    Well good news is that you can replace a broken hearth easily if both partners work full time

See we already argue :) you are supposed to be little more submissive that's what attracts men the most.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Mod Note:

Markmoto, do not post in this thread again.

S

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I'm guessing that this has always been the case, just that it's more noticeable with working from home. I suppose the bottom line is, why would one adult sharing a home, expect that the other cleans and tidied up after them?

Yes, a conversation has to happen, and please drop the word nag out of your vocabulary. Of course he doesn't like it, why would he, when it means you are saying he needs to pull his weight around the house.

Dividing up chores, as you have suggested, is a good idea. He should be drawing up the list with you. You are not his mother. And watch out for things like jobs being badly done, so that you automatically start to do them again.

Or indeed 'it doesn't occur to him' - how does he think dishes usually get into and out of the dishwasher, for example.

Fair division is the way to go, and that does not mean vague 'he does the bins and the DIY' while the washing, cooking, cleaning and shopping remain your responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

I always find when women are complaining about these issues its a good sign for a man. Sounds like he has the upper hand in the relationship as you're almost fearful of broaching the subject as you "don't want it to affect your relationship"

You read countless threads from men in sexless relationships and they always read the same, men being overly amenable, "I do more of than fair share of cooking housework ect...."

None of the above is in any way helpful to you OP but maybe don't dismiss how him not being easily controlled or persuaded to do his fair share has on your attraction level for him. Psychology behind these things is often very counter intuitive and difficult to articulate and not to be overly dismissive but if these are your biggest complaints maybe the relationship is in a pretty good place.

TheadoreT wrote: »
    I always find when women are complaining about these issues its a good sign for a man. Sounds like he has the upper hand in the relationship as you're almost fearful of broaching the subject as you "don't want it to affect your relationship"

You read countless threads from men in sexless relationships and they always read the same, men being overly amenable, "I do more of than fair share of cooking housework ect...."

None of the above is in any way helpful to you OP but maybe don't dismiss how him not being easily controlled or persuaded to do his fair share has on your attraction level for him. Psychology behind these things is often very counter intuitive and difficult to articulate and not to be overly dismissive but if these are your biggest complaints maybe the relationship is in a pretty good place.

The OP is annoyed about the uneven workload so I doubt this sentiment is helpful for the general relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

For goodness sake! She’s not asking him to wear a tea cosy on his lad, and marigolds on the boys! She’s just looking for him to be fair, and stop being a selfish entitled twit, who appears think that wife = mammy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭karlitob

Hi,
    Just looking for a little bit of advice please.
    First off, my husband is a good person, but can be so thoughtless and a bit selfish.
    We're both working from home since the start of lockdown, we're lucky that it's just the 2 of us in the house so we have the space to work in separate rooms.
    My issue is, even though I know he's very busy at work, I know this probably sounds very petty to some, but all the housework is falling to me. We're both working long full time hours but I am doing 99% of things in the house and I'm really starting to resent him.
    For example, I had a zoom meeting last night, the kitchen was a mess after dinner he went to the other room playing games on his phone and was in bed by the time my meeting finished. He leaves all his dishes etc in the sink as it doesn't occur to him to check the dishwasher. I find myself trying to find ways to nicely ask him to do things as I am sick of hearing myself nag and I certainly know it's driving him mad.
    I'm thinking of doing up some sort of chore chart or cleaning calendar but don't know where to start.

If he’s gonna act like a child, then treat him like a child.
    Sit down, explain how you feel and why, how it affects you, and what you would like to see change. Ask him his view then or give him time to take on board.

Then an agreed list of jobs to be done AND when, perhaps on a rotating basis. Don’t forgot the outside work and DIY that lads tend to do.

If he doesn’t keep to his side of the bargain, then call it out. Like all contracts, you need some form of threat. The silent treatment and ding ding can be very persuasive for lads.

I would just say to not expect a sea change immediately and never see it slip. Remember, children need boundaries, structures and clear expectations of them with some form of punishment if they don’t stick to the rules.

But in all fairness, how crap it is to feel so bad about something so petty due to inconsideration. I’m sure if he becomes more aware he’ll not want to upset you.

I blame the mothers.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

qwerty13 wrote: »
    For goodness sake! She’s not asking him to wear a tea cosy on his lad, and marigolds on the boys! She’s just looking for him to be fair, and stop being a selfish entitled twit, who appears think that wife = mammy.

I'm not saying he's in any way in the right, but relationship dynamics are complicated and him not being easily dissuaded to whatever her definition of clean is isn't the worst thing for him. May cause minor eye rolls from her day to day but imo will stand to him overall.

An interesting point of view on life. It does take all sorts to make this world go round.

karlitob wrote: »

The silent treatment and ding ding can be very persuasive for lads.

Interesting! You don’t often hear manipulation and potential abuse techniques being recommended in the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I'm not saying he's in any way in the right, but relationship dynamics are complicated and him not being easily dissuaded to whatever her definition of clean is isn't the worst thing for him. May cause minor eye rolls from her day to day but imo will stand to him overall.

It is true that some people have different definitions of ‘clean’ . Some people are OCD neat and tidy and others have a higher tolerance for mess. Some people are happy leaving dishes in the sink until the end of the day, some will wash as they go (though in this case there is a dishwasher so irrelevant).

It doesn’t sound like OP is being overly pernickety here, she just wants him to take on half of the housework as he should because they both work.

OP if it is the case that he does do things, just not as quickly as you like so you end up doing them, then that is a slightly different issue than him expecting you to do everything.

Jequ0n wrote: »
    Interesting! You don’t often hear manipulation and potential abuse techniques being recommended in the forum.

Agreed but you do hear of plenty of people who wish to ignore the real world and how humans actually behave.

Are people often verbose and amorous when ones partner does something that continues to make them feel undermined and undervalued?

“Thanks for making me feel like **** and not valuing me or my feelings - especially after we had a chat about it, and you agreed to make changes and didn’t follow through - do you feel like a chat and a bang? Not only am I up for it but you deserve it.”

• Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Absolute tosh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Best house-sharing/relationship advice I ever received is to build the cost of a cleaner into the fixed bills of a house.

Honestly, the cost of hiring a cleaner for a couple of hours every week or every second week is *nothing* compared to the pressure it relieves on a couple or housemates who have different interpretations of what clean means.

OP - tell your partner you are not happy with the chore/workload balance and you will be hiring a cleaner.
    Pay 50/50 so there’s no complaining that it’s not equal, and then channel your extra time into something fun for yourself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I wrote this post in the hope that someone might share how they split housework etc and I could get ideas from that which would reduce arguments or hassle in our home and leave us time together

One simple thing we do is, if one person makes the dinner, the other person cleans up straight after. If you're the type that uses every pot and pan, don't take the mick - you can clean some things up as you go.

When we were both working full time - regarding all the other stuff, whoever did the chore last time, it's the other person's turn next time.

Though if you're both working full time in stressful jobs, I'd get a cleaner. Plenty of people do it and if you're working hard 5 days (or whatever) a week, spending hours in the evening or losing a day at the weekend to cleaning is a hassle you can write off.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    I'm going to talk to him this evening after work.
    To be honest this isn't the first time we've been here but I never discussed a set plans of jobs seriously so hopefully we'll come up with something.
    Just to be clear, I'm not ocd about cleaning or any thing like that. To be fair to him, he does his own washing, always has and always will and occasionally he'll put on a wash of towels etc.
    We had decided to get a cleaner but then lockdown happened last year and neither of us felt comfortable letting someone in when we have sick and vulnerable family members but I do intend to get someone when ever things get back to normal.
    Thanks for listening, it's been great to just het this off my chest

Advertisement