Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things dat Trivyully Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP* NEW

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

What about the workforce that live in the bowels of rural Ireland? How do they cope with the distance?

I do think some lateral thinking is needed. How many decent-sized towns across the country have ETB/adult education centres that are under-utilised? I know the one in my town hosts the odd dole-sponsored training courses and nothing else, and thus could be utilised as a regional base for bigger universities (a bit like the "community college" system in the States). New third-level students unable to afford accommodation in the hot-spots could then have a timetable of two days in regional centre, two days commuting up to the main university, and one day online learning, which everyone is accustomed to now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

What a stupid comment. As I f every student’s Mammy and Daddy lives within driving distance of Dublin.

I suppose you think Paddy from Gweedore should drive ten hours a day up and down to DCU everyday, yeah? And students who can’t live with their parents? What are they supposed to do? What an idiotic post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The key word is "some". I understand the problems faced by Paddy from Gweedore and I sympathize with the likes of him, of which I am sure there are many. It's those that live within the commuter belt of Dublin (and indeed Cork, Limerick and Galway) I am referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Middle class middle Ireland 2.5 kids 2 cars noticing a housing crisis is a thing and calling up radio stations to complain when little darlings can't find a place to stay for their university experience...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Well, no. The middle class aren’t complaining. Their kids will just stay with them in Dublin.

It’s only those from “de country” that need to source accommodation for their kids. Big problem is there are no homes offering “digs” due to covid.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No middle class outside of Dublin of course, they dont exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I had a dream last night where my back teeth started to crumble. I hate dreams about teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Forced into a meeting with one of the senior but in a different stream "colleagues" yes , he othered, "flattered" and demeaned me verbally from start to finish.

Despite having 4 days notice of the meeting he hadn't read the three small attachment's and 4 lines of text I emailed him to head off his habit of delaying the start(imo delaying him having to do any work at all), his computer wouldn't boot up and his other one wouldn't open the attachments, also he couldn't hear me(meaning I had to repeat myself and correct his misunderstanding endlessly) and it took over an hour b4 he found the solution to the sound issue. Then he kept referring me to other ppl(even when it was his job)

Beyond all of that, ta that I feel horrible and I'll bet he doesn't see that he didn't do anything wrong.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I was out today to get a few bits and pieces, and though I wasn't in a rush, I kept getting help up by people driving or walking too slowly! Like, I'm not going quickly, and you're still holding me up! Dawdling along...

A woman entered a roundabout really slowly ahead of me, and though there was only a couple of hundred yards to the next one, I'd had enough, so I went into the other lane and around her. While queueing at the next roundabout she was right behind me, and laughing her ass off - presumably at me wasting my time. But when we got to the next junction I got through the lights because I wasn't dawdling and she didn't. We both could have made it without rushing but she wanted to drive around at a snail's pace.

I did a longer drive last weekend, and again wasn't in a rush, but didn't have a load of time to spare either. The amount of people on national roads with a 100k limit driving along at an indicated 90k is insane. If your speedo reads 90k, you're probably actually travelling more like 80k. 20% slower than you could be. Who's got so much time to spare that they can spend 20% more of their life driving than necessary?

Bonus mini rant about an asshole in a Qashqai. I was in a queue of traffic, nose to tail, when a Discovery coming the other way blocks traffic because he couldn't turn right into a petrol station, because the Audi in front of me was blocking the entrance. Traffic moves forward a bit, the Audi moves, the Discovery moves, all the traffic he's holding up is released, and there's enough room for me to drive past the entrance to the petrol station. Asshole in the Qashqai moves forward to sit on my bumper blocking the entrance again. It must have been all of five seconds since we saw why you shouldn't do that....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I drove home from Wexford earlier. I feel all of your pain.

• Advertisement

Walking into webs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Yeah, I've been experiencing that lately, especially in the bike-shed in work. I'm the 6'5" bike-shed web-remover, making the place safer for all the smaller people. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The sheer number of people these days who fall asleep / start gazing into their mobile when stopped at traffic lights.

the junction where Collins ave meets the Swords road seems to induce drivers into a catatonic state of stupidity... going east or west a green light and the first car moves off efficiently up to six or seven cars make it out... twice this week I’m waiting and only three cars, us being the fourth twice.... because the first driver is fûcking asleep, phone gazing, side window gazing or ohhh...today, you know those drivers who at lights turn to look at the people in the back seat while talking to them...! You are about three or four feet away from your ‘target audience’.. you are in an enclosed and quiet vehicle, they are not reliant on evaluating your facial expressions to obtain any further gist or context of what you are saying soooo...

watch the fûckin road, you cûnt...have your hand on the gear stick, your feet primed on the clutch / accelerator, be ready to efficiently react and move....pricks.

I’m having the worst bout of insomnia for about 4 years tonight... that said I was getting groggy, had put iPad down, head on pillow when somebody here gets up about 10 minutes ago, makes their way in a less then stealthy manner to the kitchen.. tap on, water pouring then glass smashing... nice..

i always keep drinks in my room, a couple of bottles of water so If I get thirsty I’m not walking around waking anyone at xx:xx am... I just open the fûckin lid drink and try sleep...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Stuck here at Limerick Junction waiting for a train to Dublin that's 45 minutes late, and the weather is dreadful here also 😖

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Idiots who retrofit Xenon HID headlights to cars and especially vans. Don't seem to realise or care they blind people especially when driving behind someone. Had a gobsh*te delivery guy tailgating me last night with them and even with the mirror flipped the lights were hitting the wing mirrors.

Every second car in Donegal especially the modded BMW's are fitted with them. Something really needs to be done about them.

How are my glasses always so grubby when a) I barely wear them and b) I never touch the lenses???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Having an argument with someone in my dream, then waking up in the absolute horrors.

A complete waste of fresh sheets!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I had an argument with someone in a dream once too , then we made up in my dream. Waste of fresh sheets 😴

For the past few weeks, there has been person dropping his son at the bus-stop to go to the other side of the town for school. He parks the car half on the road/ half on the path, and on the corner into the entrance of my work-place. His son hops out of the car, and goes to the blind side of the car (so that his own father's car is obscuring his view of the oncoming traffic, including me).

Apart from any of that, it's nearly the same journey I had to make years ago, which I walked or cycled for 5 years of secondary school. Let the precious teenager make his own way to school!

• Advertisement

another night of not much sleep, and I’ve a busy enough day ahead.... the neighbors around have always been decent, very decent but there is one newish fûcking gimp who arrived a few years ago with what looks like a 1000+ CC monster of a bike and who does shift work in town somewhere... wakes me up at about 4.30 am...his usual crap... he arrives, leaves the bike running for an age , why I’ve no clue, as he takes about 3 minutes to unpack his **** from the boxes, slams them shut... then slams the side gate open to take the bike in....he must boot the gate open...literally just an inconsiderate noise freak, same dude had multiple people over partying during the height of covid... outside till a similar time.

im tired now, just hoping I get a burst of awakeness and energy before I have to go out.

what is it with people being that dumb / selfish not to be aware that around them in earshot are dozens of people who because it’s the dead of night are asleep or trying to sleep... could the absolute tool not arrive, switch the bike off, walk with it to park it...empty it quickly, quietly and go inside minus a cacophony or fuss...?

Or having a dream where you're in work and you're up to your tonsils with stuff to do. It's like you don't get a break from work at all when you get dreams like that. I always wake up with anxiety after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Thankfully since moving departments I haven't been getting these dreams nearly as often as I was. The worst one I ever had was when I was already super busy at 4pm in work when suddenly a truck pulled up outside the place with a large skip full of samples to test.

Anyway, today's work related rant is to do with my email inbox. Every time I dealt with one email request today another 3 requests would come in to replace it. I really want to have everything blitzed before I head away on holidays next week :(

Still not a lotto millionaire. 😩

Yeah, I hate that. Mine usually involve trying to fix a problem that doesn't really exist. I always feel like putting in for overtime, though. 😁

Another trivial annoyance for me today was thinking I had a nice quiet day, with very few e-mails, but then realising I had filtered my inbox with one word, and there was a load of stuff for me to do in a hurry. My own fault...😣

Back in the office tomorrow for the first time since March 12th last year. The morning maths are not looking good 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Microsoft MudderFukken Teams. I genuinely feel sorry for people who think Teams is a good app. It's horrendous! My main gripe today is, while having the Teams App open, I need to open the web App to work off 2 versions of Teams at the same time. The web always, without fail, asks me to open the desktop app every time. Like yes, I would open it if that's what I wanted to use, now just open the fekkin link without any further input you prick of a system! GrrrArgh!

Rang my GP to confirm if as they always do will email my prescription to the pharmacy, and I’ll collect it there...it’s never been a problem and being going on for 3 years, others whom I know do the same...but new rude wanker on reception desk answering the phone... “ sorry, we don’t have the resources to do that any more “. You have to come in and get it yourself...

you don’t have the resources as you are totally fûckin oversubscribed with patients. Either way you have to deal with me getting my prescription... in person, or over the phone, is it not easier to just have my GP write the prescription, him email it to you who emails it to the pharmacy ? Grrr

• Advertisement

First day back in the office today. Managed to get myself off to a great start by setting my alarm for 6pm instead of am 🙄

Only in one day a week, thank fook. I'm only halfway in and I've already had enough.

Advertisement