Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated places to visit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The isle of Capri should be renamed the isle of fcuk all.waste of time going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

flended12 wrote: »
    Underrated places?

Take a stroll from Graiguenamanagh to St. Mullins – 6km.

http://www.riverbarrow.net/phone/barrow-way.html

Just let the world pass you by.

Definitely, we did the walk from Bagenalstown to St Mullins last year and it was really beautiful, would go back!

Other underrated places in Ireland

Co.Leitrim

South County Down (Newcastle & the Mourne Mountains)

Inishowen, Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I just noticed the title.I thought it was overrated places

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

As others have mentioned, Leitrim is a lovely county. Based myself there a number of years back when playing some of the links courses up in the North West.

Chile is a very underrated country to visit. A lot of tourists on the gringo trail skip it as it has the reputation of being expensive and slightly boring. If nature and scenery are your things, then I've yet to visit a country that offers more spectacular sights. The highlight being the jaw-droppingly stunning Torres Del Paine national park in Chilean Patagonia.

s_3905_3.jpg

Dag-8.-Torres-del-Paine-Nationalpark.-9.jpg

2289462191_1e74cb1b84_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

As others have mentioned, Leitrim is a lovely county. Based myself there a number of years back when playing some of the links courses up in the North West.

Chile is a very underrated country to visit. A lot of tourists on the gringo trail skip it as it has the reputation of being expensive and slightly boring. If nature and scenery are your things, then I've yet to visit a country that offers more spectacular sights. The highlight being the jaw-droppingly stunning Torres Del Paine national park in Chilean Patagonia.

s_3905_3.jpg

Anyone else start reading this and thing. That's not ****ing leitrim.....

And then get to the second paragraph and go ahh....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Colombia is very safe. But I found it quite boring to be honest. Like been in Spain

But I would rate Damascus, Addis, Goma, La Paz amongst my favourite cities

You left out Aleppo ...and Caracas....timbuktu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

6541 wrote: »
    Whilst in Fermanagh you could pop in to visit Arlene Foster.

Better go soon, she is moving when there is a United Ireland

Indonesia also has some great temples, both of these are on the island of Java and are just 50 kilometres apart outside the city of Yogyakarta

+1 on Yogyakarta.

Nobody has mentioned Mexico city, some security issues in parts but if you avoid those then it an interesting spot.

s_3905_3.jpg

Dag-8.-Torres-del-Paine-Nationalpark.-9.jpg

2289462191_1e74cb1b84_b.jpg

I spent 4 months in Chile and while it has some breath taking vistas and areas like the Pucon where you can enjoy the wilderness ,in general it wasn't great and I'd never go back. It's full of angry left wing students especially in the smog filled capital of Santiago. The people are unfriendly and the food is awful in comparison to Peru or Argentina. I would rate every country in South America ahead of Chile..except Paraguay and Venezuela.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

FrankN1 wrote: »
    Croatia

I’ve sailed the Croatian islands over 10 years and it’s incredible and cheap and like living in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Tbilisi...Was there 3 times recently supporting Ireland and it's a fantastic city. It's just a pain to get to.

Why so? It's high on my list of Eastern European places to see

Loving this thread btw. It's brimming with future energy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Grayson wrote: »
    Anyone else start reading this and thing. That's not ****ing leitrim.....

And then get to the second paragraph and go ahh....

I was about to say that Charlie McGettigan is full of sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

You left out Aleppo ...and Caracas....timbuktu

I only just decided against a stopover in Caracas on the way back from Colombia

Syria is amazing. Been to Tehran which is probably on your list but I would name Ishafan as the do not miss

Most obscure place I have been in was Lome

Goma was to visit gorillas and to hike Mount Nyirangongo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I spent 4 months in Chile and while it has some breath taking vistas and areas like the Pucon where you can enjoy the wilderness ,in general it wasn't great and I'd never go back. It's full of angry left wing students especially in the smog filled capital of Santiago. The people are unfriendly and the food is awful in comparison to Peru or Argentina. I would rate every country in South America ahead of Chile..except Paraguay and Venezuela.

i spent eight days in Argentina in 2004 , i enjoyed it very much despite the country being in an especially bad place at the time

i met a good few travellers both while there and on the plane home , met an aussie guy in an irish pub ( the kilkenny in BA ) who was fifty and had been travelling through South America for six months , he had not yet done Brazil and was going back to australia as he said Brazil would take six months by itself

anyway , he reckoned Colombia was his favourite country in South America by a distance , he found Paraguay the least interesting , sat beside a guy from Austria on the plane home and he had the same view of Paraguay having been travelling , just said there was nothing going on and it was terribly underdeveloped

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    i spent eight says in Argentina in 2004 , i enjoyed it very much despite the country being in an especially bad place at the time

i met a good few travellers both while there and on the plane home , met an aussie guy in an irish pub ( the kilkenny in BA ) who was fifty and had been travelling through South America for six months , he had not yet done Brazil and was going back to australia as he said Brazil would take six months by itself

anyway , he reckoned Colombia was his favourite country in South America by a distance , he found Paraguay the least interesting , sat beside a guy from Austria on the plane home and he had the same view of Paraguay having been travelling , just said there was nothing going on and it was terribly underdeveloped

Peru is way more interesting than Colombia. Peru is overwhelmed with tourist though. But I found the whole thing underwhelming

Might have been because I had been to Africa so many times before

And South America is getting closer and closer to Europe even since you were there

Peru is way more interesting than Colombia. Peru is overwhelmed with tourist though. But I found the whole thing underwhelming

Might have been because I had been to Africa so many times before

And South America is getting closer and closer to Europe even since you were there

so you found Africa more interesting ?

ive never been , one of my sisters visited friends in South Africa about ten years ago and hated it , the whole gated culture thing and how what would be regular middle class people here , could afford a few servants

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Unsafe?

No more than a lot of its neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Colombia is very safe. But I found it quite boring to be honest. Like been in Spain

But I would rate Damascus, Addis, Goma, La Paz amongst my favourite cities

Really? I find that surprising. Where in Colombia did you go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭4Ad

Faro, everyone passes through but the nights I have stayed there,
    very enjoyable, I went into a bar as The Clash' White Riot was blaring, barman would play any song you wanted...

Slovenia is beautiful..there is a craft beer shop in Koper that is briliant..
    Kranjska Gora stunning spot.

Tarragona, pleasantly surprised.

I love Ballyvaughan.

Hua Hin in Thailand..

ive never been , one of my sisters visited friends in South Africa about ten years ago and hated it , the whole gated culture thing and how what would be regular middle class people here , could afford a few servants

I liked South Africa.. its so diverse and the parks and everything are amazing and accessible. Durban was good aswell though there were all those gated houses you talk about but thats to stop home invasions where whole families are murdered for a TV and abit of jewellery. I walked around alot of it and it was safe enough. The city centre wasn't safe at night. No South Africa might be going downhill abit but it was some holiday..the food aswell.. Met a retired guy from Northern Ireland who had lived there for 40 years and he took us all around the battle sites of the Boer war..up to ladysmith ect and treated us like family.He was an engineer and had just shown a Connaught Rangers memorial group around..and his brother was a 20 year veteran of the S.A.S. We Irish are a complicated bunch..

I liked South Africa.. its so diverse and the parks and everything are amazing and accessible. Durban was good aswell though there were all those gated houses you talk about but thats to stop home invasions where whole families are murdered for a TV and abit of jewellery. I walked around alot of it and it was safe enough. The city centre wasn't safe at night. No South Africa might be going downhill abit but it was some holiday..the food aswell.. Met a retired guy from Northern Ireland who had lived there for 40 years and he took us all around the battle sites of the Boer war..up to ladysmith ect and treated us like family.He was an engineer and had just shown a Connaught Rangers memorial group around..and his brother was a 20 year veteran of the S.A.S. We Irish are a complicated bunch..

the pictures ive seen of South Africa make it look amongst the most stunning countries in the world ?

• Advertisement

South Africa has an amazing climate for sure.

In Ireland the Comeraghs are ignored by most tourists and even hikers, except by locals but it’s an excellent mountain range. Drivable too.

Really? I find that surprising. Where in Colombia did you go?

I was in Cali, Medellin, Cartagena (and all the surrounds including lost city) and Bogota. I didn't hate it but I was just very underwhelmed. I found it very European. Before I had kids I used take 4-6 weeks off every year so I would consider myself pretty well travelled. 80 ish countries. I could just never fall in love with South or Central America. I think Guatemala was my favourite country in the area

The South America trip was 5 months as a honeymoon

Remember I brought my current wife on our first holiday to a part of DRC 6 weeks after a ceasefire was declared. Not a normal traveller

I was in Cali, Medellin, Cartagena (and all the surrounds including lost city) and Bogota. I didn't hate it but I was just very underwhelmed. I found it very European. Before I had kids I used take 4-6 weeks off every year so I would consider myself pretty well travelled. 80 ish countries. I could just never fall in love with South or Central America. I think Guatemala was my favourite country in the area

The South America trip was 5 months as a honeymoon

Remember I brought my current wife on our first holiday to a part of DRC 6 weeks after a ceasefire was declared. Not a normal traveller

you have a tremendous sense of adventure

" eighty countries "

very impressive indeed

I think I have been in 10 countries in Africa and SA was where I felt most at danger

Egypt - dangerous off beating track
    Morocco - no danger at all
    Ethiopia - no danger and very underrated before current outbreak
    South Africa - very dangerous the further north you go. Garden route was safe as houses
    Togo - mad place that I couldn't get my head around. Struggle understand people speaking English with west African accent. In French I had no chance. Was a tiny bit overwhelmed but never felt danger
    Ghana - Brilliantly safe country. English is spoken language too and amazing beaches. Should have had it in my underrated list
    Uganda - people so friendly
    Rwanda - even safer than Uganda
    DRC - exceptional circumstances of when I went but so many armed guards everywhere that I felt safe

you have a tremendous sense of adventure

" eighty countries "

very impressive indeed

2 kids now so might be a while before I add to it

I was due go to Georgia and Armenia just before we had our COVID baby so selling 3 weeks away to replace cancelled trip might be hard for a few more years

I think I have been in 10 countries in Africa and SA was where I felt most at danger

Egypt - dangerous off beating track
    Morocco - no danger at all
    Ethiopia - no danger and very underrated before current outbreak
    South Africa - very dangerous the further north you go. Garden route was safe as houses
    Togo - mad place that I couldn't get my head around. Struggle understand people speaking English with west African accent. In French I had no chance. Was a tiny bit overwhelmed but never felt danger
    Ghana - Brilliantly safe country. English is spoken language too and amazing beaches. Should have had it in my underrated list
    Uganda - people so friendly
    Rwanda - even safer than Uganda
    DRC - exceptional circumstances of when I went but so many armed guards everywhere that I felt safe

neighbour of mine visited zambia as a student , was overwhelmed by the friendliness of the people

neighbour of mine visited zambia as a student , was overwhelmed by the friendliness of the people

Africa is an amazing place. The people are so friendly and so impressed. For the most part it is not as impoverished as you may think.

As a developer who is always so frustrated by dealing with Indian subcontractors I would love to see a place like Ghana (best place I can think of initially) to compete with India in this market

Africa is an amazing place. The people are so friendly and so impressed. For the most part it is not as impoverished as you may think.

As a developer who is always so frustrated by dealing with Indian subcontractors I would love to see a place like Ghana (best place I can think of initially) to compete with India in this market

You’ve encouraged me to think about Africa.

Lough Derg.

We have the tidiest towns, lakeside hikes, and a holy well that can cure blindness.

• Advertisement

Lough Derg.

We have the tidiest towns, lakeside hikes, and a holy well that can cure blindness.

Portumna is a gorgeous little town that just seems unloved and in need of some ambition. Like the community realise what they have but don’t know how to deliver it. Needs a new hotel as well.

Lough Derg, the forest park, marina, an amazing gem of a golf course, the hills, horse riding etc.

Advertisement