Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated places to visit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Witchie wrote: »
    Bali is overrated but some of the smaller islands around it are wonderful. The Gillis and Nusa Lembongan are a refuge from the mainland. I prefer Nusa as it's a less harrowing boat ride.

Indonesia as a whole is vastly underrated, most people just go to Bali, Lombok and the Gili Islands which are all great for a party and scuba diving but otherwise limited. Further east of there on the island of Flores is the three volcanic crater lakes of the Kelimutu volcano. The three lakes change colour every few years depending on what the volcano below is doing

kelimutu-6.jpg

Kelimutu-3-Colored-Lake.jpg

Further to the east of that is Rinca and Komodo islands where you can see komodo dragons just wandering about in the wild

Indonesia also has some great temples, both of these are on the island of Java and are just 50 kilometres apart outside the city of Yogyakarta

Prambanan, Hindu temple built around 900 BC

Candi-Prambanan-Jogjakarta.jpg
    3b.jpg

Borodubur, the worlds largest Buddhist temple, built in the 7th century. It has over 500 statues of Buddha within it

f4024c571e5e09ce5e4049bc181500b1-borobudur-temple.jpg?auto=format&fit=crop&ixlib=react-8.6.4&h=520&w=1312&q=75&dpr=1

62460825-buddha-statue-in-borobudur-temple-java-island-indonesia-.jpg

When we were at both those temples there was barely 30 other tourists there the whole day which is in stark contrast to Angkor Wat in Cambodia where there are thousands of tourists every day. You really felt like you had the whole place to yourself at the two main temples on Java.

Another great thing to do in Indonesia is to go to the orangutan sanctuary at Bukit Lawang on Sumatra island. They bring you on a trek through the jungle to colonies of orangutans they are rehoming and rehabilitating so most of them are semi wild. The orangutans jump from tree to tree high above you before coming down to ground level for some free bananas so you get pretty close to them. Its really some sight to see orangutans in their natural environment, amazing experience.

Would recomment Indonesia to anyone, its probably the least touristed country in all of south east Asia but it has some of the best sights that a lot of people overlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Shiok wrote: »
    Taiwan

Well known obviously, yet Taipei is more often than not overlooked in favour of other cities in Asia. Fab food & night markets, diverse history, beautiful scenic mountains, gorges & lakes.

And possibly the friendliest people I've ever met.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Brighton

Great for a day trip from London - Less than an hour on the train and lots to see and do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

@Muhaha I had one of my best birthdays ever on Borneo (Indonesian part). Got to do something I had wanted to do as a 10-year-old....stand with one foot either side of the equator. Had a bunch of school kids also doing a palace your take loads of photos with me and sing happy birthday and got a surprising extra during a massage...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

rossie1977 wrote: »
    County Leitrim.

Carrick on Shannon is one the best towns its size in the country and far superior weekend spot and makes much better use of its location than its much larger southern sister Athlone.

Ballinamore festival blows away any other around this area of the country like it.

You have Glencar waterfall, Shannon erne waterway. Maybe try to be only seventh person in recorded history to ascend Eagles Rock..

I'd say you'd get a part for a nuclear submarine in The Forge, Ballinamore if you were stuck!! There's more stuff on the ground than on the shelves it's so full. Stayed at the marina for a couple of nights a few years back: a lovely, sleepy town.
    550814.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

bubblypop wrote: »
    Should have known a poster with your username would be sympathetic to countries committing genocide.
    I don't know what your problem is, but your posts are way off topic.
    It seem weird that you, a Brazilian, would get upset by me, an Irish woman, because I like a city, Istanbul, in Turkey! Or because I don't feel particularly sympathetic to Serbia, who murdered thousands of people in the Balkans.

I'll leave it at that. Please leave me alone from here.

I think the poster is simply pointing out double standards on your behalf. Turkey is widely accepted to have carried out a mass genocide of Armenians around the time of WW1 and spent a lot of time persecuting minorities within their borders. So, if you hold Serbia to one standard, then you have to hold Turkey to the same standard.

The poster is also right in that Turkey is more similar to Britain than Serbia as they had the Ottoman Empire which covered a huge swathe of the middle east, the Balkans and Northern Africa, similar to the British Empire, but not as large.

I do agree that Serbia seem to have been the worse offenders in the 90s conflict, but is that reason enough to not visit there? What about Germany or the US or numerous other countries. If you start discounting countries for historical misdeeds, there will not be many left to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

I do agree that Serbia seem to have been the worse offenders in the 90s conflict, but is that reason enough to not visit there? What about Germany or the US or numerous other countries. If you start discounting countries for historical misdeeds, there will not be many left to visit.

Germany and Serbia are really not comparable. Germany paid for their crimes and have thoroughly repented. Serbia have definitely not and many Serbians practically start foaming at the mouth at the mere mention of Kosovo.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

VG31 wrote: »
    Germany and Serbia are really not comparable. Germany paid for their crimes and have thoroughly repented. Serbia have definitely not and many Serbians practically start foaming at the mouth at the mere mention of Kosovo.

Well, my understanding of the relationship between Kosovo and Serbia is that Kosovo contains a lot of Serbian historical and cultural monuments so the Serbs see it as part of their country. But it had been part of the Ottoman Empire for so long, it became a majority Muslim country region which wanted independence once Yugoslavia broke up, which is fair enough IMO. I suppose Serbia might see it the way many people view NI here.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

Underrated places?

Take a stroll from Graiguenamanagh to St. Mullins – 6km.

http://www.riverbarrow.net/phone/barrow-way.html

Just let the world pass you by.

I think the poster is simply pointing out double standards on your behalf. Turkey is widely accepted to have carried out a mass genocide of Armenians around the time of WW1 and spent a lot of time persecuting minorities within their borders. So, if you hold Serbia to one standard, then you have to hold Turkey to the same standard.

The poster is also right in that Turkey is more similar to Britain than Serbia as they had the Ottoman Empire which covered a huge swathe of the middle east, the Balkans and Northern Africa, similar to the British Empire, but not as large.

I never said one word about not visiting Serbia, I have been there many many times. I'm not sure where you got the impression I would advise anyone not to go there? In fact, I wouldn't put people off visiting anywhere, I believe everyone should make their own mind up.

That poster stuck his oar in when I was answering a different poster.
    I did not bring any history into any reason not to visit anywhere.

That poster seems to have been upset with me because I said I like Istanbul. That's it. I never alluded to their past, nor do I want to.
    Like I said, I have been to Serbia many times, I never expressed any kind of opinion about whether other people should visit there or not.

Perhaps that poster needs to pull his head in, and maybe you could read all the thread in order to understand the conversation.

Oh, and the poster that thanked your post? Just took some personal dislike to me, very childish, he has even admitted it on different threads, and seems to thank posts that he perceives to be disagreeing with me #rolleyes#

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

flended12 wrote: »
    Underrated places?

Take a stroll from Graiguenamanagh to St. Mullins – 6km.

http://www.riverbarrow.net/phone/barrow-way.html

Just let the world pass you by.

I've done that walk so many times. My Dad's family home in Tinnahinch backs onto the barrow there, absolutely gorgeous spot.

Chester. Very nice old town, a river nearby, a better night out than either Liverpool or Manchester. Small enough to do some great pub crawls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Hamachi

….
    Oh, and the poster that thanked your post? Just took some personal dislike to me, very childish, he has even admitted it on different threads, and seems to thank posts that he perceives to be disagreeing with me #rolleyes#

I see this zinger is directed at me. I was actually thanking that poster for reminding me of the Armenian genocide by the Turks, which is something I had completely forgotten about, which also prompted me to read an article on it this morning. Growing the knowledge base and all that..

Can we get back to the topic under discussion without another hissy fit?

I'm always on topic :)

For a weekend break during normal times, Ryanair fly to Gdansk, Poland.
    Very pretty port town, small, plenty of restaurants and bars and of course, great value.
    Summer is a very nice time to visit

Ballinamore festival blows away any other around this area of the country like it.

You have Glencar waterfall, Shannon erne waterway. Maybe try to be only seventh person in recorded history to ascend Eagles Rock..

I would add in Co Fermanagh here, Marble Arch caves and Florencecourt, the walk up the Cuilcagh steps, all nearby also.
    Probably missing some good restaurants in the area though.
    If you're on the boats you won't mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Very pretty port town, small, plenty of restaurants and bars and of course, great value.

love gdansk was there in 2018/19 (oh and 2001 and 1975) but I'm biased in I speak polish and have some family there dont forget a day trip to malbork castle, westerplatte sopot . stayed in a 14th century castle in reszel as well which is near the wolfs lair.
    all the way across to bialowiesza.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

County Leitrim.

Carrick on Shannon is one the best towns its size in the country and far superior weekend spot and makes much better use of its location than its much larger southern sister Athlone.

Agreed, Leitrim is always the first to get ripped on in any thread discussing worst county's or godforsaken places in Ireland. Carrick is picturesque and decent for a piss up, that alone puts it ahead of a good half dozen counties. Glencar waterfall also lovely as you say

• Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭billyhead

Lovely spot. I was their for the Euros in 2012. The women are gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Gdansk is great. The ferry through the harbour up to the seaside town nearby (I forget the name) was lovely. Sun shining, beer in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Alentejo region of Portugal is fabulous. Beautiful little fishing villages dotted along the coast joined by quiet scenic walking trails. Think cliffs of Moher for mile after mile without the tourists.
    Great value , food and lovely people . Little town like Vila nova de Milfontes and Zambujeira do Mar are hidden jems .
    Very different the plastic resorts along the south coast .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Plymouth is a gem... great naval stuff. Up on the 'Hoe' on a sunny day and watch the big naval destroyers coming in...get the ferry across to Mount Edgecombe or visit the lido.
    Worcester is another lovely town..great medieval centre and great pubs...The cricket pitch is right by the river.

Anyone been to Madison in Wisconsin. Had a great time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭thebronze14

Tbilisi...Was there 3 times recently supporting Ireland and it's a fantastic city. It's just a pain to get to. Ljubljana is a class city too and you have beautiful lake bled nearby. I have a serious soft spot for visiting Eastern Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

cashback wrote: »
    Lviv in Western Ukraine.

Beautiful city that mainly seems to get domestic tourists. Great restaurants, walkable, amazing architecture.

And 2 euro a pint.

I was there 10 years ago. It’s fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I really love Lille in northern France. It tends to be overlooked in favour of Brussels, Bruges and Paris, but it’s a beautiful and vibrant city with great food and drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Colombia is a great place to visit, but suffers from a very bad reputation.

Unsafe?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Zadar, Croatia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭6541

I would add in Co Fermanagh here, Marble Arch caves and Florencecourt, the walk up the Cuilcagh steps, all nearby also.
    Probably missing some good restaurants in the area though.
    If you're on the boats you won't mind!

Whilst in Fermanagh you could pop in to visit Arlene Foster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Unsafe?

Colombia is very safe. But I found it quite boring to be honest. Like been in Spain

But I would rate Damascus, Addis, Goma, La Paz amongst my favourite cities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

FrankN1 wrote: »
    Zadar, Croatia.

Is Zadar itself good or as a base?
    I know Ryanair fly there, I was half thinking of booking to go there when we can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Yeah it's really nice, but definitely doable as a long weekend before heading somewhere else. Quite small so you'd walk most of it in a full day out.

Advertisement