Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate crime nonsense

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Smee_Again wrote: »
    No you can’t, because I’ve read and understand the details of the proposal.

If it wasn’t already a crime then it won’t be a crime under this legislation. It’s that simple.

All that changes is the punishment if the criminal’s intent was based on the victims sexually, nationality, ethnicity etc.

Why is this so hard for you to understand?

You clearly are misunderstanding.

I never said things will be a crime that weren't before. I said I have a major problem with the punishment being changed based on intent, in the sense that if something is intentional it makes no difference if it's intentional because of race or because or any other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

GarIT wrote: »
    You clearly are misunderstanding.

I never said things will be a crime that weren't before. I said I have a major problem with the punishment being changed based on intent, in the sense that if something is intentional it makes no difference if it's intentional because of race or because or any other reason.

Yet I bet you have no issue with murder and manslaughter having different sentences.

Same outcome different intent.

He said fight not assault, assault causing harm, serious harm, threats to kill or cause serious harm, syringe attacks or placing or abandoning a syringe, coercion, harassment or demands for payments of debt.

Maybe you can explain which is a relevant?

Are you seriously trying to make an argument that fight and assault aren't similar enough that it doesn't need two pages of discussion?

Yes, you're correct, assault not fight, now onto the actual point.

IMO you have already lost the argument when you resort to arguing a fight isn't an assault. It shows you have no substantial and meaningful disagreement to make.

Yet I bet you have no issue with murder and manslaughter having different sentences.

Same crime different intent.

Yes. I agree that someone who assaults someone because of racism should face a harsher sentence than someone who gets into a bar fight, but I don't agree that someone who assaults someone because of racism should face a harsher punishment than someone who does it because they hate the person for some other reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

He said fight not assault, ...

Ah here...

• Advertisement

I have done. I have argued with you and you haven't provided a counter argument. You're wrong read more isn't an argument.

PM me if you wake up and have a reasonable point.

PM me if you wake up and have a reasonable point.

I'll take it I'm right then if you can't come up with any link or quote to tell me how I'm wrong. I have provided evidence for my points, the closest you came was stating "the constitution" or that your love of criticising Fine Gael makes you right somehow.

Are you seriously trying to might an argument that fight and assault aren't similar enough that isn't needs two pages of discussion.

Yes you're correct, assault not fight, now onto the actual point.

Assault and fight are very different things, and I can only assume you’re trying to use them interchangeably to obfuscate things.

Yes. I agree that someone who assaults someone because of racism should face a harsher sentence than someone who gets into a bar fight, but I don't agree that someone who assaults someone because of racism should face a harsher punishment than someone who does it because they hate the person for some other reason.

Again here you’re comparing a bar fight, which I take to mean no discernible antagonist, to an assault which has an obvious antagonist. Why are you doing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

Yep, hate is hate. It shouldn't matter the reason. Everyone should get a fair hearing, regardless of whether it fits neatly in one of the categories.

All the legislation seems to be saying in effect is that longer sentences will be given for all crimes where the person is found guilty(intent proven).

Assault and fight are very different things, and I can only assume you’re trying to use them interchangeably to obfuscate things.

Again here you’re comparing a bar fight, which I take to mean no discernible antagonist, to an assault which has an obvious antagonist. Why are you doing this?

You used a comparision of murder to manslaughter. I brought it back to my example of a fight vs a targeted attack which I made a few pages back which I believe is equivalent to your murder vs manslaughter question.

Yes I believe that someone who commits murder should face a harsher punishment than someone who commits manslaughter. Yes I believe someone who commits assault intentionally based on someone's race should face a harsher punishment than someone who unintentionally ends up in a bar fight.

But the key point, I don't believe someone who commits assault because of race should face a harsher punishment than someone who commits assault because they just wanted a fight.

If it's intentional it's intentional it doesn't matter why. Intentional because of race is no worse than intentional because of anything else.

And on top of that, I don't trust the current government or the justice system to administer it fairly and equally. Evidence of this would be the black guy in Cork who stabbed a white guy while shouting BLM and everyone claims race wasn't a factor. This article https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2020/0607/1145926-cork-stabbing/ makes no mention of the video widely circulated where the guy was told to gesture to support black lives matter or he would be stabbed, and that the assailant said "black lives matter" many times while doing the stabbing. As far as I know it was later decided that race wasn't a factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Nah, things will keep going, not much will change except the male suicide rate will continue to increase, we'll still get our single email mentioning international men's day on the day while international women's day, and pride, both become a whole week where you get an email reminding you every day for 20 days before it happens and the office is turned pink or rainbow colours but never blue.

Everyone will keep talking about how privileged we are while it seems to me young white males are the worst off and killing themselves more than anyone else. Still have all the responsibility and expectations of years gone by with none of the benefits.

Careful now you'll be deplatformed for talking sense.

You used a comparision of murder to manslaughter. I brought it back to my example of a fight vs a targeted attack which I made a few pages back which I believe is equivalent to your murder vs manslaughter question.

Yes I believe that someone who commits murder should face a harsher punishment than someone who commits manslaughter. Yes I believe someone who commits assault intentionally based on someone's race should face a harsher punishment than someone who unintentionally ends up in a bar fight.

But the key point, I don't believe someone who commits assault because of race should face a harsher punishment than someone who commits assault because they just wanted a fight.

If it's intentional it's intentional it doesn't matter why. Intentional because of race is no worse than intentional because of anything else.

And on top of that, I don't trust the current government or the justice system to administer it fairly and equally. Evidence of this would be the black guy in limerick who stabbed a white guy while shouting BLM and everyone claims race wasn't a factor.

Ok, so intent matters where someone dies but not otherwise.

Is that your position? - I’m not trying to catch you out here, genuinely curious.

Ok, so intent matters where someone dies but not otherwise.

Is that your position? - I’m not trying to catch you out here, genuinely curious.

No, whether there was or was not intent matters. Whether the intent was becasue of racism or some other hatred makes no difference.

No, whether there was or was not intent matters. Whether the intent was becasue of racism or some other hatred makes no difference.

OK, but pretty much all hatred’s are included so it’s not differentiating between them.

It’s random versus targeted crimes that are affected, so the bar fight would be random while the traveller mugging specifically non-travellers would be targeted and result in a harsher sentence (if AGS actually did their job).

OK, but pretty much all hatred’s are included so it’s not differentiating between them.

It’s random versus targeted crimes that are affected, so the bar fight would be random while the traveller mugging specifically non-travellers would be targeted and result in a harsher sentence (if AGS actually did their job).

Being ginger isn't on there, and people are attacked for it. If that's the case why not some legislation that implements harsher punishment for targeted attacks? I'd be fully behind that, it just seems like this is missing some of the bases then.

I don't believe that travellers mugging non-travellers would result in any harsher punishment under this legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

Being ginger isn't on there, and people are attacked for it. If that's the case why not some legislation that implements harsher punishment for targeted attacks? I'd be fully behind that, it just seems like this is missing some of the bases then.

I don't believe that travellers mugging non-travellers would result in any harsher punishment under this legislation.

Just checking, are you equating the experience of ginger people to the historic suffering, slavery and dehumanisation of black people?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

cheezums wrote: »
    Just checking, are you equating the experience of ginger people to the historic suffering, slavery and dehumanisation of black people?

Just checking, are you equating the experience of blacks today to the historic suffering, slavery and dehumanisation of black people of the 19th and 20th century?

No.

Im saying if you punch a black person or a ginger person today it won't hurt either of them more or less based on those characteristics, and the person doing the punching is no worse of a person for it being one of those characteristics than the other. Someone who punches a black person because they are black deserves no harsher punishment than someone who punches a ginger because they are ginger.

I'll take it I'm right then if you can't come up with any link or quote to tell me how I'm wrong. I have provided evidence for my points, the closest you came was stating "the constitution" or that your love of criticising Fine Gael makes you right somehow.

Haha, you have done the square root of **** all to prove your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Please stop assuming people are the same, or have experienced the same based on a single physical characteristic, its incredibly racist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I hope they clearly define what they mean by "prejudice".

For example, in my opinion travellers are generally bad for an area as they tend to litter like crazy and destroy the environment around their caravans/homes. They also inbreed which is not good for society and have a higher tendency for crime compared to the surrounding community.

Is that prejudice or a valid opinion?

Replace it with "Black People" or "Muslims" and it would be deemed prejudice. So I would say yes your comment is prejudice.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    the maitre d hotel on First Dates is eastern european

So one, who is from Croatia.

Which isn't defined as Eastern Europe

So one, who is from Croatia.

Which isn't defined as Eastern Europe

Are you saying RTE need to positively discriminate & bring in quotas in order to put some more eastern Europeans on the telly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭jackboy

When were black people treated like that in Ireland?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1989/act/19/enacted/en/html

bubblypop wrote: »
    Are you saying RTE need to positively discriminate & bring in quotas in order to put some more eastern Europeans on the telly

No its just surprising a whole group of people do not seem to be present in our media or represented in ads etc.

I think the discussion has moved on from this point anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,370 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Replace it with "Black People" or "Muslims" and it would be deemed prejudice. So I would say yes your comment is prejudice.

You have to love this logic. Completely delusional.

Here's a sentence for you; "I was mugged by a SCUMBAG, I now have a fear of SCUMBAGS, whenever I see a SCUMBAG, I feel threatened. I wish we didn't have SCUMBAGS in this country or anywhere for that matter. I really hate SCUMBAGS."

You can insert any of the words you like to replace the word SCUMBAG and it changes from a reasonable statement to a racist diatribe.

When you ignore context the content becomes whatever you want it to be.

Glazers Out!

So that becomes irrelevant if new legislation passed that will be used instead, you don't have to meet the standard expected in both, just in the newer one. That's the point of this new proposal, to address complaints that the old legislation was too difficult to actually use.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/1217/1185042-hate-speech/
    "The Bill will involve the repeal of the Prohibition of Incitement to Hatred Act 1989."

So you'll have to do better than just posting a link with no explanation of how you think it's relevant. Or are you just going to call me stupid again and tell me to read more without saying anything meaningful?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

That was a wried incident, when they changed his second name to hers to not stand out or something.

It was pure racism suggesting as a black man that he couldnt be Irish and constant harassment and even death threats.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Here’s the proposal, it’s very easy to read and is only a few sentences.

Read it and once you’ve read it say why you disagree with it.

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/bill/2020/52/eng/initiated/b5220s.pdf

I’ve read, I understand it. Can you say the same?

This is not the the proposed legislation from the Minister though

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement