Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who has right of way at this junction?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭C3PO

TheW1zard wrote: »
    The Council build a cycle track for cyclists and give them their own green light and they dont use it and give out the other way is dangerous. Jesus

Also worth mentioning that cars turning left routinely break the lights at that junction so the centre of the road is probably a safer place to be!
    .... and cyclists are not obliged to use cycle-lanes!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

TheW1zard wrote: »
    The OP was in the left turn lane, if all you Sean Kellys want to bomb up the hill thats fine, but you should be in the right lane to go straight.
    Being in the left turn lane and trying to go straight is suicidal.
    I do cycle it, and its never confused me.

Did you even look at the link or know the junction? The straight ahead cycle lane, where the cyclist was is to the left of the left turn lane, this is where the OP clearly stated they were. He just had a query over the right of way. That has been answered but just to clarify, no one has suggested what you have suggested, the options suggested were in the straight ahead bike lane or in the straight ahead general traffic lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

CramCycle wrote: »
    ?!?
    If you are in the main traffic lane, you are waiting your turn as you are going with the main lights.

But there is a dedicated cycle lane and traffic lights. When there’s no cycling infrastructure cyclists will complain, but when there is the cyclists want to ignore it if it doesn’t suit them. You see things like this all the time on junctions in the likes of The Netherlands, which is held up as the gold standard for cyclists. Cycle light is green, motorist waits. Cycle light is red, cyclist waits. It’s pretty simple.

The last few times I have went through that junction driving, every car in front of me broke the red to turn left so forgive my lack of faith. I am not complaining either way, I am lucky that I do not need it but I appreciate that some do. I don't hold up other traffic and I wasn't complaining, just explaining that I don't and won't use it for now. There maybe a day I have to use it and I appreciate the option.

The only thing I would change is possibly a red light camera which would quickly solve the issue and make it safer for all. Neither cyclists or motorists should run the red there, I don't, so I am not sure why you think I am complaining.

Also cyclists are not a homogeneous group by the way, the same way some motorists applaud some road changes and others despise them, cyclists are no different. We are not all the same, even though we are all.equal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The last few times I have went through that junction driving, every car in front of me broke the red to turn left so forgive my lack of faith. I am not complaining either way, I am lucky that I do not need it but I appreciate that some do. I don't hold up other traffic and I wasn't complaining, just explaining that I don't and won't use it for now. There maybe a day I have to use it and I appreciate the option.

The only thing I would change is possibly a red light camera which would quickly solve the issue and make it safer for all. Neither cyclists or motorists should run the red there, I don't, so I am not sure why you think I am complaining.

Red light cameras FTW. Badly, badly needed in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I cycle this way every day and this is definitely the biggest problem. The orange light is the go faster light and the red is only red after 10 seconds. It's one of those junctions where is safer if it clear to go through, which is crazy in itself. There is a segregated cycle lane all the way from Blackrock which is why the junction is designed that way, but there's nothing in there to dissuade the amber gamblers.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dreddie

OK. So I commute through that junction everyday on my way to Bray, outbound in the morning. I obey every other traffic light on my commute except that one. There, I use the cycle lane and check over my right shoulder to make sure there is no traffic coming and then proceed. If there is traffic I wait until it clears (presuming they have a green light and there is a red for cyclists).

A few years ago, around New Year, there was a Garda stationed there every morning for a few weeks. I waited for a green cycling light, and waited, and waited, and waited!! After a few mornings of this he told me to proceed if there was no traffic coming. I took this as an acknowledgement that the signalling in this junction is dysfunctional but cars do have right of way when cycling light is red.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

dreddie wrote: »
    OK. So I commute through that junction everyday on my way to Bray, outbound in the morning. I obey every other traffic light on my commute except that one. There, I use the cycle lane and check over my right shoulder to make sure there is no traffic coming and then proceed. If there is traffic I wait until it clears (presuming they have a green light and there is a red for cyclists).

A few years ago, around New Year, there was a Garda stationed there every morning for a few weeks. I waited for a green cycling light, and waited, and waited, and waited!! After a few mornings of this he told me to proceed if there was no traffic coming. I took this as an acknowledgement that the signalling in this junction is dysfunctional but cars do have right of way when cycling light is red.

That was my experience too, but it seems to be fixed of late. I haven’t had the pleasure of being left hooked through a red here yet, but will watch out for it.

Advertisement