Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still use Ipods/MP3 player/Walkman etc

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Question : what ever about the players, are people still actually ripping to MP3 instead of the more modern replacement formats?

I primarily listen to iTunes via my iPhone (256GB) so will rip CDs at 320 kbps MP3 for that purpose.

If I want to listen to a lossless version of the music, I'll just play the CD.

Also - if making an iTunes compilation from different sources, I find it impossible to get satisfactory normalising software for WAVs - there doesn't appear to be a WAV equivalent for MP3 Gain and Audacity doesn't do a good job either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

I primarily listen to iTunes via my iPhone (256GB) so will rip CDs at 320 kbps MP3 for that purpose..

This is what I'm asking about, why MP3? It's a defunct format, long surpassed by m4a/aac

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

This is what I'm asking about, why MP3? It's a defunct format, long surpassed by m4a/aac

in the scheme of things, unless you are using some high end headphones and a decent dac, mp3 at 320 is hard if not distinguish from newer lossless formats.

Im just glad the variable bitrate buzz is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Not since 2007 :D

Wouldn’t call it defunct. If I buy an LP, then the download code will include MP3 as an option.

All of my previous iTunes rips are in MP3.

If I make my own compilation / playlist (from numerous different sources) to put on iTunes, then MP3 Gain will normalize the volume evenly. There is no satisfactory equivalent for lossless files.

I’d say 10% of my music listening time is on the phone. The other 90% is via turntable or CD player at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Tony EH wrote: »
    I'm still using one of these.

Sansa1.jpg

VHS tape noted...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

I rediscovered some cassettes I have. Good gig bootlegs. Been transferring them to digital.
    I use an I-pod. Does the job. I'll not be going back to the discman ;) I don't like the idea of using the mobile for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Mp3 is not out of date it's very easy to rip to mp3 format
    Every music player can play it every phone can play mp3 files
    The file format is built in to every operating system
    I think the inventor of mp3 file format made it free to use by any
    company I think to use dolby surround sound the device maker
    has to pay a fee for each TV or device that uses the audio format
    Eg dvd or blueray players
    Other Companys have made various new audio formats but company's may have to pay to be allowed to use them in software or to have the audio code installed in phones or other devices
    so mp3 is the standard audio format used in pcs phones
    and tablets
    I just use a small mp3 player with an sdcard slot
    I find apple devices hard to use
    You have to install iTunes to use an ipod
    I can just drag and drop mp3 files onto my mp3 player
    without installing any program

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

Nope, but still listen to CDs, mainly in the car. Never had a Spotify account as I like to buy physical media wherever possible and CDs can be found dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Not meaning to derail entirely but does anybody know anywhere I can easily sell my cd collection?
    Presuming cex and the likes aren't taking cds anymore.
    Having a huge house clearout at the moment; I need to get rid of them, bit can't really get my head around just dumping them.
    Will prob put on adverts, but figure that could take a while...

On a sad and more on topic note, my minidisc player has just been a casualty of this clearout too. It'll be going out with the bins on Tuesday. If anybody wants a Sony minidisc player give me a shout before then and you're welcome to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

I have a 2007 iPod Nano & an iPod Touch which are still in daily use. Offline music is very handy and convenient and it’s so easy to play them in the car.

They are excellent rectangles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

BOSTIK wrote: »
    They are excellent rectangles.

Did you buy yours at Food and Stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

Did you buy yours at Food and Stuff?

Chap called Tom gifted me his old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I ordered one of these ages ago for a tenner as the last of my Sandisk Clip Zips was starting to wear out, just set it up there:

qPitvow.png

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000349451485.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.6e4b6051T6c0We&algo_pvid=fa687fee-f2ae-4660-ac5c-d1a6a341a6e0&algo_expid=fa687fee-f2ae-4660-ac5c-d1a6a341a6e0-0&btsid=0bb0620316199016331978124eb670&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Im blown away, its loud as feck first of all, anything over 40-50% volume is painful, the sound is absolutely incredible, went for a walk earlier listening to a few FLACs to see if I was imagining things but Im 100% sure its better quality than the Clip Zips Ive been listening to for the last decade or more, its definitely way louder.

Whats mad is I think its a fake Ruizu, somebody in China ripping off the X52, its not listed on their site and there are no reviews anywhere:

http://www.ruizutek.com/mp3-player.html

I dont care anyway, its a beast, a couple of annoying fiddly Chinese UI habits and a hideous TFT screen but otherwise near perfect, just wish I could install the Rockbox firmware on it. Great radio reception and the ability to record from FM, seems to have a better bookmarking and errr... place-remembering ability than other players aswell, should be great for audiobooks, jumps back to where you left off to the second even after hard reboot, I cant believe it tbh, my mp3 player worries are gone for another generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Lol ..i had to laugh earlier a guy asked me to tell him a music shop where he could buy a physical k pop album for his daughter LOL!

I was like ...erm...i don't know ....

I haven't bought a cd in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yup still using my trusty mp3 player most days, I'd rather not be dragging my phone everywhere, don't use streaming apps at all

Lol ..i had to laugh earlier a guy asked me to tell him a music shop where he could buy a physical k pop album for his daughter LOL!

I was like ...erm...i don't know ....

I haven't bought a cd in years.

K-Pop artists still sell loads on physical formats
    https://eyeondesign.aiga.org/cd-sales-are-booming-in-the-k-pop-industry-where-packaging-design-takes-center-stage/

As do J-Pop groups - CD sales in Japan are still extremely healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭blackbullet

i bought a hifi walker mp3 player around 4 yers ago 256gb storage she still goes no plans to upgrade for now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

K-Pop artists still sell loads on physical formats
    https://eyeondesign.aiga.org/cd-sales-are-booming-in-the-k-pop-industry-where-packaging-design-takes-center-stage/

As do J-Pop groups - CD sales in Japan are still extremely healthy.
    no one i know buys cds ..or even has a player :pac:

Where the cd itself becomes art ...that is diff ..but that is like ...speciality

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Even my laptop which was bought at christmas has no place for a cd or even a dvd.

• Advertisement

_Godot_ wrote: »
    Even my laptop which was bought at christmas has no place for a cd or even a dvd.

My last two laptops have no CD/DVD drive. I just use a standalone drive connected via USB. Simple solution.

no one i know buys cds ..or even has a player :pac:

“No one”

What happened? Did a crack commando unit raid their houses one night and remove their CD players, stereo system, DVD player etc?

I know hundreds of people who still buy vinyl or CDs or both. Streaming has a big share of the market but physical sales are still reasonably good. I posted the 2020 sales figures for UK and US earlier in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Don't laugh, but I have a pocket/personal radio that I use for walks :) It looks exactly like an old school Ipod, you just pre-set the radio stations, there is a small row of buttons along the top of the radio that you assign to each station, pop in your headphones and off you go. I switch around stations until I find a song I like, then switch again etc. I like not knowing what I'll hear next. I had an old first-gen Ipod back in the day but didn't use it much. I don't use Spotify or anything like that. Radio on walks or in the car, youtube at home.

I used to listen to some of the 80's radio stations that you could get through Sky tv, but Brexit made a hames of that :( they're all gone. Oh and remember when MTV actually played music???

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Still use my walkman weekly alot of the bands I listen to only release their stuff on tape and vinyl so am in the market for a vinyl setup also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Coreyhotline

Occasionally, my kids use them as well, but I find the maintenance a pain in the arse e.g. adding new tracks, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭Tork

_Godot_ wrote: »

My car has no CD player but has aux and USB instead. I've no problem with that because I'd mostly stopped using CDs in the last car anyway.

I still buy CDs I like though because I like the ritual of putting them on and listening to them properly at times. Also, there's no guarantee that they'll stay forever on the streaming services. I know that some of the songs I've put into my Spotify playlists are now greyed out and no longer available.

Advertisement