Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you still use Ipods/MP3 player/Walkman etc

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tork wrote: »
    Yes. If you were to take out a CD and rip a song from it as a wav file (which is lossless), you'd be looking at a file that could be 40-50MB in size. As a rule of thumb, a minute of music is about 10MB. That is why mp3s came to exist.
    There are plenty of lossless compressed formats out there like Flac and the Apple one and my phone has nearly 20Gb free space and an empty SD slot so there's no need for MP3's. Just remember to set your itunes to the highest quality and auto eject and auto everthing if ripping CD's and you only have to do it once.

Out and about headphones, casual use bluetooth speakers, comfy over ear speakers for comfort.

Never used the media players I got. Phone gets used as a torch, camera, calculator, FM radio, TV remote control, news paper and media player.

It's getting to the stage where I'm considering two phones, with the second one only for dodgy apps that scrape too much data like Shazam.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In terms of sales, here are the 2020 figures
    US
    Vinyl: 22.9 million units generating $619.6 million. 42% share.
    CDs: 31.6 million units generating $483.3 million. 58% share.

Share refers to percentage of total unit sales.

The US vinyl sales are impressive when compared with 1993 figures (the format's lowest ebb) - back then 300,000 new LPs were sold.
    Vinyl sales in the US in 1977 were 344 million units, when the population was only 2/3rds of what it is now.
    In 2000 CD sales were 942 million units.

It's niche and AFAIK is mostly done with old equipment that isn't being replaced. I'd nearly bet that wax cylinders would sell in some markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭the14thwarrior

my first MP was a rio and held a whopping 21 songs

i upgraded to creative zen, legend but the battery is broken
    tried micro zen and still use it

and have a philips go gear, still going strong

and my vinyls.

and my phone

mostly use my philips

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

There are plenty of lossless compressed formats out there like Flac and the Apple one and my phone has nearly 20Gb free space and an empty SD slot so there's no need for MP3's....

When I ripped my CDs I just couldn't hear any difference over 320 with my ears and equipment. It's not going to improve with age either.

One advantage of vinyl is that the original recordings may not have been subjected to Loudness War mixing.

Early CD's were mixed differently so that the punters could hear the difference :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    When I ripped my CDs I just couldn't hear any difference over 320 with my ears and equipment. It's not going to improve with age either.
    I don't doubt that :)

But lossless formats mean you keep everything and storage just keeps getting cheaper so there is really no need for lossy audio compression anymore for local storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

I sometimes look through the €1.50 cds for sale in dealz hoping to find something from the 90's or 00's so i can drive home and put a cd on in my car for a change.....But if i dont find anything i just watch youtube videos on my phone while i drive home.. Its great the technology we have now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I was always into personal music players. Went from a walkman to a discman then to dedicated mp3 devices and ultimately the phone. Every single one that I owned is stuffed in a drawer.

Never owned a proper hifi system or even a ghetto blaster. Always had to be handheld for me.

for jogging the clip-on bluetooth mp3 players are handy as they are really small, super light and clip onto your running gear

load up a load of trance and other good running tunes and you're set to go

no need to look like one of those hapless spanners lurching along with their phone clutched in one of their sweaty hands poised to smash on the road/path or perhaps worse with one of those phone strap-on device jobs on their arm which is the exercise equivalent of a phone belt-holder which rivals only a "fanny pack" in pure puke value :eek:

71TA8XaJWfL._AC_SS450_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victure-Bluetooth-Portable-Lossless-Headphone-Black/dp/B07XD47QY7/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=mp3+player+clip&qid=1618961190&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVVo4Qk5ZWkxHVkNMJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTAxNzQ4M1NPOUVVS1owUDRIVCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjQ1NzIwMkk5QU5UUjBBQlNaViZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

glasso wrote: »
    for jogging the clip-on bluetooth mp3 players are handy as they are really small, super light and clip onto your running gear

no need to look like one of those hapless spanners lurching along with their phone clutched in one of their sweaty hands poised to smash on the road/path or perhaps worse with one of those phone strap-on device jobs on their arm which is the exercise equivalent of a phone belt-holder which rivals only a "fanny pack" in pure puke value :eek:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victure-Bluetooth-Portable-Lossless-Headphone-Black/dp/B07XD47QY7/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=mp3+player+clip&qid=1618961190&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzVVo4Qk5ZWkxHVkNMJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTAxNzQ4M1NPOUVVS1owUDRIVCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjQ1NzIwMkk5QU5UUjBBQlNaViZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Wow, that clip on yoke is worst than any of the alternative's you slandered. Where exactly do you clip it that doesn't make you look slightly odd.
    And as for the jogging to trance, ermm probably fits the whole image, maybe try running.

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »

We've one of those. It's ok. But it's no sansa clip.

On the subject of clip ons

https://www.businessinsider.com/cristiano-ronaldo-ipod-shuffle-tie-clip-2020-1?r=US&IR=T#:~:text=1%20The%20soccer%20superstar%20Cristiano%20Ronaldo%20was%20spotted,4%20Visit%20Business%20Insider%27s%20homepage%20for%20more%20stories.

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Wow, that clip on yoke is worst than any of the alternative's you slandered. Where exactly do you clip it that doesn't make you look slightly odd.. And as for the jogging to trance, ermm probably fits the whole image, maybe try running.

It's about an inch square. So small that it can't be seen basically and it's Bluetooth. clip it onto your shorts under your running shirt if you're the totally paranoid type.

Comparing that to the phone clutcher lurchers and/or the strap-on merchants is a no contest.

And the right trance music has the perfect BPM for running. If you don't know that then what can I say.

maybe the hundreds of trance running and workout compilations are just off the wall :pac:

https://www.google.com/search?q=trance+running+album&sxsrf=ALeKk01pnvQWCxANvWdEvFlmXGgtLctlyw:1619003974539&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi596rmm4_wAhUSuHEKHd16BP0Q_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1280&bih=578

Sansa clips were good but they are not made anymore and never had a Bluetooth version.

True, but it just not as slick, or mature. For example I wanted something that goes to sleep after a certain amount of time.

It does this, but resets back to off every time. So pretty points. Lots of minor quibbles like that. That said it works well enough in general.

True, but it just not as slick, or mature. For example I wanted something that goes to sleep after a certain amount of time.

It does this, but resets back to off every time. So pretty points. Lots of minor quibbles like that. That said it works well enough in general.

a big attraction for some on the Sansa Clip was installing custom firmware but not everybody is up for fluting around like that.

true those bluetooth ones on amazon are not perfect but they do the job well enough, particularly for running or the gym imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

... i just watch youtube videos on my phone while i drive home..

ya wha?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

retalivity wrote: »
    I still use Winamp.
    Have circa 15000 mp3s which the oldest are probably 20 years old now, use them and winamp on the home computer hooked up to speakers and juts put it on random...never found anything to better it.
    Spotify, streaming etc, I never bothered with...why would I pay for something that I already have?
    Never listen to music when walking/running/cycling, have a 2gb USB stick in the car with mp3s that I can play though the radio.
    Have a few old mp3 players lying about, a project in the back of my mind is to bring them back to life and use, some of them are gorgeous pieces of kit.

it really whips the llamas ass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

ya wha?

Took longer than expected but at least someone got the joke

My favourite devices were Mini Discs and Hi-MDs with 1GB. Always thought Atrac sounded great. They were just cool devices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Ive gone back to vinyl & CD, mp3s & streaming services suck the life out of music quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

My favourite devices were Mini Discs and Hi-MDs with 1GB. Always thought Atrac sounded great. They were just cool devices.

Did you ever buy pre-recorded MDs?
    I remember Depeche Mode’s Songs Of Faith & Devotion came out on LP, MC, CD, MD & DCC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

Still have my Sony Walkman nwz e585 on the go constantly. Fantastic little device. The sound transfer is really really good. Massive difference to any of the streaming sites. I'd still buy vinyl myself and most vinyl you purchase these days comes with a mp3 or wav download code so this thing is still the business for me. Autechre NTS and Elseq sessions constantly up on this little beauty.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Did you ever buy pre-recorded MDs?
    I remember Depeche Mode’s Songs Of Faith & Devotion came out on LP, MC, CD, MD & DCC

No I went from audio cassettes to CD the early CD Discman I had sounded amazing. But the following Discmans sounded terrible due to compression and power saving. So I went back to Audio Cassettes for years. As they were better than the clipped and compressed CDs of the day.

I only came to Minidisc after they had gone into decline and MP3s were on the rise. I realised my cassettes were degrading badly. Minidisc was a good way to save the stuff on Cassette. Pre-recorded Minidisc were rare even at it's peak. But I remember the pre-recorded minidisc section in the Virgin Mega Store.

CDs and Streaming now has excellent quality of you know what you are doing and what you are buying. The majority of people don't care about quality though.

If you had to by a new player (not a mobile phone) now. What would you buy.

Snarky Snark Snark

If you had to by a new player (not a mobile phone) now. What would you buy.

did it recently, bought a 256gb iPod touch before christmas.

It almost stores my digital library for music (some pruning was needed to fit what I might actually listen to onto it) and handles bbc r6 for me as it's an iOS device with the full app store available to it.

For anyone not looking to spend mad money, the Fiio ones are not bad at all and the one I picked up has an fm tuner which is a bonus and they run from SD card so expanding the storage is a doddle.

Snarky Snark Snark

Question : what ever about the players, are people still actually ripping to MP3 instead of the more modern replacement formats?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I dont like the way all the new ones are touchscreen, I like adjusting the volume on the fly throughout the song, skipping tracks without having to take it out and look at it every time. I can navigate my Clip Zip blindfolded with the physical buttons Ive been using it so long now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Question : what ever about the players, are people still actually ripping to MP3 instead of the more modern replacement formats?

Preferred a lossless format to download shít and then reneged on that dicission when I started running out of space.

You might say I was...taking too much flac.....

Thargor wrote: »
    I dont like the way all the new ones are touchscreen, I like adjusting the volume on the fly throughout the song, skipping tracks without having to take it out and look at it every time. I can navigate my Clip Zip blindfolded with the physical buttons Ive been using it so long now.

Same here which is why I liked the Shuffles. That said with controls on the earphones these days its less an issue.

• Advertisement

did it recently, bought a 256gb iPod touch before christmas.

It almost stores my digital library for music (some pruning was needed to fit what I might actually listen to onto it) and handles bbc r6 for me as it's an iOS device with the full app store available to it.

For anyone not looking to spend mad money, the Fiio ones are not bad at all and the one I picked up has an fm tuner which is a bonus and they run from SD card so expanding the storage is a doddle.

Forgot about the iPod touch. Reminded me I hated iTunes and the alternatives though. Used to have a 2nd gen touch.

Advertisement