Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Dental implant

2

Comments



  • fryup wrote: »
    no money in it for them? or do medical card holder's breath smell bad?

    Dental Clinics are micro businesses and operate on the same business principals as any other micro business.




  • Fitz II wrote: »
    There is a underlying pervasive tone that dentists are greedy, covetous and uncaring on this forum. This is far from the truth. Dentists like any highly trained profession doing a dirty and necessary job for the public, dealing with nervous and scared people all day, and making thousands of clinical and business decisions every week. Dentists like any group of workers are not all the same. Some earn very little money, some earn average amounts, some earn lots. Depends on a lot of factors. I often ask people would they prefer that the dentist injecting them and drilling into the nerves in their teeth was stressed out with money worries, or lived a relaxed middle class life?

    The truth, and reality, is that there is no such as a poor dentist here. The reason the CAO points are so high to become a dentist is that it is in demand due to being such a profitable venture. Unlike some well-paid professions, there is an artificial restriction to how many dentists are trained, hence the shortage and the inability to fill the needs for the medical card scheme.

    In the OP's case, the best option is to travel abroad to a clinic that specializes in it. I did this and the cost was a third of what it is here and I received all the professional aftercare and support needed.




  • I'm planning to go abroad to get an implate. I think it will be around the 1k mark but i am going because i am from that country and i have absolute trust in the dentist i will be attending.
    Plus its in the EU so i can submit it for tax rebate.




  • The truth, and reality, is that there is no such as a poor dentist here. The reason the CAO points are so high to become a dentist is that it is in demand due to being such a profitable venture. Unlike some well-paid professions, there is an artificial restriction to how many dentists are trained, hence the shortage and the inability to fill the needs for the medical card scheme.

    In the OP's case, the best option is to travel abroad to a clinic that specializes in it. I did this and the cost was a third of what it is here and I received all the professional aftercare and support needed.

    Are you privy to the Income returns of Dentists? I ask because the above seems to indicate you are. Maybe you own a Dental Clinic and are informed of the high costs of running a Dental Clinic, if you aren’t, then I’m not sure how you can be so certain that there is no such thing as a poor Dentist.

    There are plenty of Dentists to fill the medical card scheme, there is however a shortage of Dentists who want to participate in it due to the poor way it is run, restrictions on treatments offered, and yes, the low fees which have not increased for 10 years.

    I’m glad to hear the treatment worked well for you.




  • How many visits does the average implant take to complete?


  • Advertisement


  • jrosen wrote: »
    Dental care in Ireland has become unaffordable. I saw a recent survey and something like 80% of people put off dental work because of cost. Thats insane.

    I paid 2500 which when I priced around seemed on the higher end. Most places were quoting 2000.

    My only advice is go to a clinic where their main work is implants and that sort of dentistry, someone that can deal with any possible complications. Maybe do one tooth at a time?

    Thanks for your reply, I found it really helpful. I've enquired a bit around that too, in terms of getting both/one done to try and save in between procedures etc. Some dentists saying there are some savings to be had by doing both in and around the same time, while others are saying that it makes no real difference so it's hard to tell




  • con747 wrote: »
    Poster in the same situation here

    Thanks a million, will take a look




  • Fitz II wrote: »
    Most implants are around 3k each, 6k is on the extreme end of expensive.

    People go abroad cause they dont understand what they are doing and usually end up spending twice as much in the long run. But thats been done to death on here.

    Yes, would like to stay in Ireland if possible for treatment, and like you say it;s been well covered about travelling for treatment. Just trying to see other's experiences in similar situations.




  • padd b1975 wrote: »
    How many visits does the average implant take to complete?

    First off.... xrays...

    Second Bone Scan... to see if the bone is suitable to accept the implant and also to plan the surgery.

    If all is ok above (not needing bone grafts etc) then surgery.

    Gums sewed.

    Abutments....(another appointment)

    Bone healing usually is around 6 months after surgery. Abutments installed and about 2-3 weeks after that crowns.

    Depending on how the surgery goes it is about a 6 month-7 month process. Mine took a little longer as one of the implants failed and had to be redone.

    During that period it is mostly healing that takes place. So the number of visits is not that much at all.




  • padd b1975 wrote: »
    How many visits does the average implant take to complete?

    Consultation.
    Surgery.
    Implant Exposure.
    Impressions
    Fit abutment/crown.
    Review/Adjustments if necessary.

    Start to finish, 3-4 months assuming extraction sites fully healed before surgery, if teeth have to be extracted first, 6-8 months. Complex treatment with little room for error at any stage.


  • Advertisement


  • NSAman wrote: »
    I know I am going to be slated for saying this BUT I work abroad (in normal times) months at a time. I got my implants (5) while working abroad. 5K for everything. Professor of dentistry (in the main university) did the surgery, crowns were included in the price.

    I priced in Ireland before I started this whole process and the costs we prohibitive. In many cases double if not triple compared to the north of Ireland and multiples compared to abroad.

    Just to let you know, whatever you decide, they are life changing. I had partials before and hated the damage they did to surrounding teeth.

    Thank you so much for the reply, I really value your response! wow 5k for 5 implants sounds incredible! I have heard so many people saying to go abroad to get them done but I would be a little nervous as knowing my luck something would be sure to go wrong. I know they are not an immediate need but my own teeth which are in pretty good condition otherwise are starting to slowly move so it will need to be done sooner rather than later. Some people have suggested travelling to Northern Ireland for treatment so I might look into it a bit more, worth a shot definitely! But honestly thank you for your reply, I am so happy to hear you had a good experience :)




  • NSAman wrote: »
    First off.... xrays...

    Second Bone Scan... to see if the bone is suitable to accept the implant and also to plan the surgery.

    If all is ok above (not needing bone grafts etc) then surgery.

    Gums sewed.

    Abutments....(another appointment)

    Bone healing usually is around 6 months after surgery. Abutments installed and about 2-3 weeks after that crowns.

    Depending on how the surgery goes it is about a 6 month-7 month process. Mine took a little longer as one of the implants failed and had to be redone.

    During that period it is mostly healing that takes place. So the number of visits is not that much at all.
    It's easy to see how the costs mount up. Thanks for the reply.
    Is it normal to get a temporary denture for during the lengthy healing times?




  • padd b1975 wrote: »
    It's easy to see how the costs mount up. Thanks for the reply.
    Is it normal to get a temporary denture for during the lengthy healing times?

    No temps for me. Just lots of healing and gaps..;)

    It was not as sore as I expected it to be.

    The second time I had to get surgery for the implant WAS sore. Face swelled out completely. Wouldn't mind but I was on a plane 2 days later asking the stewardess for Ice for my face..lol

    All in all.... absolutely recommend it, if you are a candidate.

    The costs didn't mount up at all. The price was agreed prior to getting the surgery done. I paid 1K up front and even with the extra surgery the price was still the same.




  • NSAman wrote: »
    No temps for me. Just lots of healing and gaps..;)

    It was not as sore as I expected it to be.

    The second time I had to get surgery for the implant WAS sore. Face swelled out completely. Wouldn't mind but I was on a plane 2 days later asking the stewardess for Ice for my face..lol

    All in all.... absolutely recommend it, if you are a candidate.

    The costs didn't mount up at all. The price was agreed prior to getting the surgery done. I paid 1K up front and even with the extra surgery the price was still the same.

    My dentist says I'll probably have to get the two front centre bottom teeth replaced with implants in the next few years.
    He quoted between 3 and 4k at today's prices.




  • padd b1975 wrote: »
    My dentist says I'll probably have to get the two front centre bottom teeth replaced with implants in the next few years.
    He quoted between 3 and 4k at today's prices.

    Sounds about right. With implants its always better get in earlier rather than wait. Can avoid bone grafts sometimes and that improves long term outcomes.




  • nojoke89 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, I found it really helpful. I've enquired a bit around that too, in terms of getting both/one done to try and save in between procedures etc. Some dentists saying there are some savings to be had by doing both in and around the same time, while others are saying that it makes no real difference so it's hard to tell

    Nojoke. I tried to get an implant to repair a missing front tooth a good few years back in Galway. I wasn't suitable so ended up getting a bridge. I was recommended a dentist at the time and he was very expensive which really threw me.

    But he was excellent. He did a fantastic job and he has been fantastic since. I have come to the conclusion he was worth every cent. I'm not trying to tell you you can't or indeed shouldn't get it cheaper or that you wouldn't get as good treatment for less but I wouldn't make a different decision again.

    Hopefully you'll take your implant to the grave and if it works and gives you no trouble between now and then it'll be cheap.




  • Fitz II wrote: »
    Sounds about right. With implants its always better get in earlier rather than wait. Can avoid bone grafts sometimes and that improves long term outcomes.

    I waited too long and ended up unsuitable. Do it as soon as you can.




  • padd b1975 wrote: »
    My dentist says I'll probably have to get the two front centre bottom teeth replaced with implants in the next few years.
    He quoted between 3 and 4k at today's prices.

    Would you mind me asking whereabouts your dentist is located Paddb1975?

    3- 4k or thereabouts seems a lot more manageable than 6k to me anyways :)




  • nojoke89 wrote: »
    Would you mind me asking whereabouts your dentist is located Paddb1975?

    3- 4k or thereabouts seems a lot more manageable than 6k to me anyways :)

    <snip>




  • NSAman wrote: »

    Depending on how the surgery goes it is about a 6 month-7 month process. Mine took a little longer as one of the implants failed and had to be redone.

    Hi NSAman, looking down the road of implants myself. Broke my tooth a few weeks ago. What is the process like overall? I'm conscious of the timeframe as I'm getting married early next year so I don't know whether to start treatment or see if I can get away without starting until after the wedding. Worried about being toothless in photos!


  • Advertisement


  • PCeeeee wrote: »
    Nojoke. I tried to get an implant to repair a missing front tooth a good few years back in Galway. I wasn't suitable so ended up getting a bridge. I was recommended a dentist at the time and he was very expensive which really threw me.

    But he was excellent. He did a fantastic job and he has been fantastic since. I have come to the conclusion he was worth every cent. I'm not trying to tell you you can't or indeed shouldn't get it cheaper or that you wouldn't get as good treatment for less but I wouldn't make a different decision again.

    Hopefully you'll take your implant to the grave and if it works and gives you no trouble between now and then it'll be cheap.

    Thank you so much, I really appreciate your viewpoint and I hear what you're saying 100% and for a quality service it requires that bit extra cost.

    I questioned the quote of 3,000 euro to be honest, as with most things when it sounds too good to be true, it might be that it is. But definitely, it was more the shock of hearing some of the estimates I was receiving that spurred me to create this thread and the utter confusion of it all.

    I think even around 4,000 or a bit above would be a bit more realistic for what I can afford just now and I feel its still quite enough to pay really. I'll just try shop around/ do a few consults to see where I'm at and try to compare a bit more before making any decision.




  • padd b1975 wrote: »
    snip

    Brilliant thank you :)




  • Hi NSAman, looking down the road of implants myself. Broke my tooth a few weeks ago. What is the process like overall? I'm conscious of the timeframe as I'm getting married early next year so I don't know whether to start treatment or see if I can get away without starting until after the wedding. Worried about being toothless in photos!

    Hi I am not a dentist so can only speak from personal experience.

    It all depends on the consultation with the dentist involved. There are numerous factors, bone density, etc...etc.. to take into consideration.

    First thing first... have that consultation. I am lucky in that I had the bone density and no issues with placement and bone depth.

    Obviously the dentist can advise on the length of treatment better that I could ever guess.

    Good luck if you decide to venture down this road.




  • padd b1975 wrote: »
    How many visits does the average implant take to complete?

    App 1. I had consultation with X-ray

    App 2. Tooth removal, moulds, implant and temp tooth all in one day.

    App 3. 2 week later for a check up and to have stitches removed.

    App 4. 3 months later back for the final crown.

    Edit to add, my dentist did no bone scan at the beginning. Wish he had of, maybe my bone wasnt suitable to begin with? My implant has failed.




  • NSAman wrote: »
    I know I am going to be slated for saying this BUT I work abroad (in normal times) months at a time. I got my implants (5) while working abroad. 5K for everything. Professor of dentistry (in the main university) did the surgery, crowns were included in the price.

    You have me wondering where that was?

    I will need a very substantial amount of dental work soon, and investigating options (based in Germany where prices are even worse than Ireland).




  • I'm starting the process of getting implants, in June.

    In June, I get a tooth removed surgically to protect the bone.
    In July I get two implants placed side by side
    End of July I have a follow up.
    November and December I have two more appointments: Placing the abutments and a scan
    In January I have the crowns/bridge placed.

    Its costing in the region of €5,500 from a dental practice in Limerick.

    Because I am having my teeth done in Ireland, I can claim 20% back off my Med 2 form when I submit it to revenue. You can't claim the 20% back if you go abroad. The 20% does bring down the net cost quite a bit. I will get back about €1,100. Net price then is €4,400. Roughly €2,200 per tooth.




  • You can claim back within the EU, i assume the North is ruled out now but not 100% sure.
    But as you can see there's lots of planned trips never mind unexpted trips involved.
    Bicyclette wrote: »
    I'm starting the process of getting implants, in June.

    In June, I get a tooth removed surgically to protect the bone.
    In July I get two implants placed side by side
    End of July I have a follow up.
    November and December I have two more appointments: Placing the abutments and a scan
    In January I have the crowns/bridge placed.

    Its costing in the region of €5,500 from a dental practice in Limerick.

    Because I am having my teeth done in Ireland, I can claim 20% back off my Med 2 form when I submit it to revenue. You can't claim the 20% back if you go abroad. The 20% does bring down the net cost quite a bit. I will get back about €1,100. Net price then is €4,400. Roughly €2,200 per tooth.




  • jrosen wrote: »
    App 1. I had consultation with X-ray

    App 2. Tooth removal, moulds, implant and temp tooth all in one day.

    App 3. 2 week later for a check up and to have stitches removed.

    App 4. 3 months later back for the final crown.

    Edit to add, my dentist did no bone scan at the beginning. Wish he had of, maybe my bone wasnt suitable to begin with? My implant has failed.

    So right now (tommorrow) I'm at stage 2. Can you offer any insight into recovery? Basically I'm wondering will I be able to work the weekend? Rostered on fri/sat/sun




  • Bicyclette wrote: »
    I

    Because I am having my teeth done in Ireland, I can claim 20% back off my Med 2 form when I submit it to revenue. You can't claim the 20% back if you go abroad. The 20% does bring down the net cost quite a bit. I will get back about €1,100. Net price then is €4,400. Roughly €2,200 per tooth.

    You can claim 20% for treatment outside Ireland, even outside the EU.

    There are no restrictions other than the dental practitioner being registered legally in their country. see: https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/health-and-age/health-expenses/dental-expenses.aspx


  • Advertisement


  • Anyone have experience of consultants in Ireland who offer non surgical method where it is applicable (doesn't involve opening gum/sutures, uses 3D scanning to ensure correct implant placement leading to easier recovery)?


Advertisement