Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Old Days on RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Dusty's Trail - was shown at least twice on RTE 1 - late '70s and early '80s

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

continuity announcers use to appear on screen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

fryup wrote: »
    continuity announcers use to appear on screen

A lot of the big names of RTE started out as continuity announcers.

I see the “Bil Keating” credit. Always thought that looked odd.

Who wants to be a millionaire hosted by Gay Byrne RIP

The famous show, where the contestant gave the correct answer for the word 'lunula'

The Weakest Link hosted by Eamon Dunphy

Unsuitable format for Irish contestants:

I noticed when half the contestants were dismissed, they looked visibly upset and close to tears

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There was a trend in RTE of mispelling names for extra street cred - wasn't there Kyran and Jon and Mat and others?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,873 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There could be another Bill Keating so in credits you have to be different either with a letter or initial

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Another general reflection on the old days in RTE:

Many guests on programs like Nationwide were shown travelling in humble vehicles like the Renault 4, or simply taking the CIE bus.

Nowadays they alight from their BMW SUV or Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭orlaithd12

Who remembers Peter Murphy on Cross Country Quiz? I've been trying to find the theme time, can't find it anywhere????

I remember it too. It was a sort of squelchy moog theme, it might have been that tune Popcorn which was a big hit in the early 70s. That was used as well on some RTE sports programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

The old soccer panel is a huge loss. How often the game itself was only an interlude to what would be going on in the studio with Bill, Eamon, John and Liam.

Thinking back to Saipan and the world cup that year, the action on the pitch, off the pitch and in the RTE studio was unmissable. Have really missed being that invested in the games since the national team took a nose dive in quality as did the punditry.

I remember it - had one of the tie-in quiz books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

Yes. The Irish RM also (maybe that was with UTV). It's still being repeated on TG4 as far I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,101 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I'm almost in despair here at the thought of those programs being considered the old days 😭

Who remembers Folio? RTE book review show that ran from the late 70s to circa 84/85. The opening sequence used to unsettle me, it had a big perspex or glass model of the word "FOLIO" set against a black background and foreboding music. I only found out recently the theme music was a track by the Steve Miller Band.

. Edit: must be getting alzheimers. Looked a few pages back and I already posted about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Still spectacularly unfunny.

Stage Oirish Yes Sorr, no Sorr, as you wish Sorr, from the good old forelock tugging days. A sort of Irish Uncle Tom's Cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,873 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

@Hangdogroad I cannot rule out that I have done the same myself on a quiet thread touching upon the old days :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Anything goes that was a platform for bands.

It made videos for bands

There were newsreaders and presenters who pronounced the letter 't' unlike some of the current personnel.

• Advertisement

Heres the picture again as it didn't post properly at first. Different times indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭squonk

Anyone remember Going Strong I think it was called. A show in the afternoon for OAPs in the early 80s. I don’t remember who presented it but I remember a lady singing old standards called Ann O’Dwyer with someone accompanying her on piano . Her and the audience would all have a sing song. I was very small but it seemed a bit dreary to me.

Around about 1987 there was a medical magazine show called Check Up presented by Siobhan Cleary who disappeared from RTE after the 80s.

She also presented a magazine show called Evening Extra with another short run presenter, Cianna Campbell that occupied the slot Nationwide does today after the 6pm news. I remember it was the first time I saw BB King as I guess he was touring after Rattle n Humm came out. They interviewed him. It also had a very cringey interview with Joe Dolan and Siobhan Cleary where he seemed to try and grab her at any opportunity, or maybe I misremember but I do remember him grabbing her leg and at the time even as a very early teen I was left wondering WT ACTUAL F? Of course it was just Joe keeping up the pretence that he was a serious lady’s man. I still felt sorry for Siobhan Cleary though. Wouldn’t happen now.

Post edited by squonk on

I remember the Check Up book came out also with that series, all about medical issues. Siobhan Cleary was married to Joe Dowling who was a theatre director/manager, maybe in the Abbey, they moved permanently to the US when he got a job over there.

Live at 3 replaced Going Strong I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭leath_dub

• Registered Users Posts: 24,806 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The 30 minutes delayed ‘live’ football on a Saturday was weird as fûck.

you’d want to check on the other scores on teletext but you couldn’t really as you’d likely see the match you were watching…

whoever was in charge over in England who insisted on delayed football coverage for us here was a prize cock… it would have no bearing on their attendances so it was almost saying "Well we can’t give it in England so we can’t let you have it here, we’ll compromise and delay”….

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I think at some point in between Going Strong being replaced by Live At 3 it was called Looking Good.

One ither memory, RTE ran a show in the early evening in the late 80s called “Giz A Job” that was designed I think to give people some help in getting work and general job seeking skills. No idea who presented it or anything. I remember it being kind of funny and thought it was ok until my older cousin who I thought was cool at the time said it was shíte and I stopped watching! Our career guidance teacher at secondary school also showed us episodes except she called it “Jizz A Job” which still Makes me laugh today!

I remember that, it was originally called "Nothing To It" and consisted of comedy sketches, a young Pauline McGlynn used to feature in these along with Mikel Murfi and maybe Veronica Coburn. There were studio discussions as well which had some other presenter. I'd forgotten about the name change.

Edit: It seems Giz A Job was a one off programme, a follow up to the series Nothing To It, though theres no mention here of the latter.

• Advertisement

They’d be it. I didn’t raise that Giz A Job was a one off. Thanks a million.

Advertisement