Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Brian? wrote: »
    Selby is the Djokovic of snooker. To labour your analogy a bit. An unbelievably winner, grafts for every game.

I don’t enjoy watching that graft though as much as I enjoy watching someone like Ronnie, Murphy or Trump. Why can’t I say that?

You can say it, and you did say it

I prefer watching Ronnie in full flow as well....

My point was nothing to do with what players or styles one prefers

It was more to do wit the whole and complete game of snooker...

A game that Selby has in abundance.......

And some folks try to pick parts of this greatness to slate him, and in doing so, they only show their ignorance of what the game is all about.

Even when pretending to praise him....you get the backhanded compliment vibe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,312 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

B2021M wrote: »
    I can imagine! What year would that have been (roughly even!)?
    Was the 1996 irish masters. Incredible night of drama that, every frame was a war and dragged on to god knows what time it was in the end and we never even got to a decider. Ken had already beaten jimmy and hendry that week, was certain his name was on the trophy.

I would say it would have been around then I would have been a young fella around that time. Driven there by the auld fella. Around Goffs snooker time he used to collect me from school in the middle of the day make up an 'appointment'. But the problem was if you were in your school uniform sitting near the front row you were asking for trouble!

When it looked like Murphy could bring the world title back to Dublin. It only made me realise how good a player Ken was for about a 5/6 year period. He was very consistent. Getting to those World Finals.

Turned pro 1990. I checked his World Championship Record before he won it was mostly 1st and 2nd round exits. Or not qualifying.

1991 - 1R
    1992 - LQ
    1993 - LQ
    1994 - QF
    1995 - 1R
    1996 - 2R

Then he won the World title -

1997 - W
    1998 - F
    1999 - QF
    2000 - 2R
    2001 - QF
    2002 - QF
    2003 - F

Looks very impressive when written down like that.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I would say it would have been around then I would have been a young fella around that time. Driven there by the auld fella. Around Goffs snooker time he used to collect me from school in the middle of the day make up an 'appointment'. But the problem was if you were in your school uniform sitting near the front row you were asking for trouble!

When it looked like Murphy could bring the world title back to Dublin. It only made me realise how good a player Ken was for about a 5/6 year period. He was very consistent. Getting to those World Finals.

Turned pro 1990. I checked his World Championship Record before he won it was mostly 1st and 2nd round exits. Or not qualifying.

1991 - 1R
    1992 - LQ
    1993 - LQ
    1994 - QF
    1995 - 1R
    1996 - 2R

1997 - W
    1998 - F
    1999 - QF
    2000 - 2R
    2001 - QF
    2002 - QF
    2003 - F

Yes, 1996. I watched it in the vip/press room above the arena - a total gatecrasher! - a fridge full of free Heineken and dunphy sitting there giving it the "snooker is magnificent, the greatest sport of them all" and people going "ah shut up eamo" - just fantastic memories! That was a great tournament, never the same when it left goffs and went ranking.

Took ken a while to get there, but when he did he was a great player and stayed there for a decade. Might have won another major or two, but you have to remember he was right bang in the middle of the old forces of hendry and davis and the new generation of ronnie & co. For reasons still difficult to explain, his game went a bit after 2003/4. Never the same player again. But at his best, not a million miles off the very top.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

His run to the 2003 final was magnificent.

His stamina for all those immense comebacks were something else.

His run to the 2003 final was magnificent.

His stamina for all those immense comebacks were something else.

It was truly epic, from the opening round to the ultimate heroic failure in the final. I dont know if that simply took the stuffing out of him, or what effect it had on him mentally, but apart from an occasional brief purple patch, he never scaled those heights again. I alalways there was another world title in him, but wasn't to be, sadly.

• Advertisement

It was truly epic, from the opening round to the ultimate heroic failure in the final. I dont know if that simply took the stuffing out of him, or what effect it had on him mentally, but apart from an occasional brief purple patch, he never scaled those heights again. I alalways there was another world title in him, but wasn't to be, sadly.

I'd say it had some sort of effect. He was just drained at that point.

I must go back and watch some of those matches from 2003 again, not to mention 1997 as well.

I'd say it had some sort of effect. He was just drained at that point.

I must go back and watch some of those matches from 2003 again, not to mention 1997 as well.

I've watched the 2003 final a few times, that second last frame is especially harrowing! The bbc showed the sf v Hunter last year when the world championships was initially postponed, just a wonderful match. I'm sure hunter would have a couple of titles to his name if tragedy hadnt intervened, he'd probably still be a force now the way things have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I've watched the 2003 final a few times, that second last frame is especially harrowing! The bbc showed the sf v Hunter last year when the world championships was initially postponed, just a wonderful match. I'm sure hunter would have a couple of titles to his name if tragedy hadnt intervened, he'd probably still be a force now the way things have gone.

This match will always be in my memory..

I never wanted someone to win so much as Ken that final.

I think he was 12-2 or 12-3 down, and got to 12-12....Ken never took the lead. I think it went 14-12/14-14/16-14/16-16 and then Williamns won the two from 16 to 18...

His win over Hunter from 15-9 or 15-8 down was magic

I always felt that this was Hunter's prime. I think had Hunter won that, he would have beaten Williams.....Ken did excellent to win the SF, but Hunter let that slip away....

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭B2021M

walshb wrote: »
    This match will always be in my memory..

I never wanted someone to win so much as Ken that final.

I think he was 12-2 or 12-3 down, and got to 12-12....Ken never took the lead. I think it went 14-12/14-14/16-14/16-16 and then Williamns won the two from 16 to 18...

His win over Hunter from 15-9 or 15-8 down was magic

I always felt that this was Hunter's prime. I think had Hunter won that, he would have beaten Williams.....Ken did excellent to win the SF, but Hunter let that slip away....

Yes that final was incredible to watch....especially the two Monday sessions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

1991 - 1R
    1992 - LQ
    1993 - LQ
    1994 - QF
    1995 - 1R
    1996 - 2R

1997 - W
    1998 - F
    1999 - QF
    2000 - 2R
    2001 - QF
    2002 - QF
    2003 - F

He was world no 3 at one point too.

That record is even better when you factor in he was up against Hendry, Williams, Higgins and Ronnie all close to their peak. Matthew Stevens, Paul Hunter and Stephen Lee were there as well. Peak snooker talent.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

walshb wrote: »
    You can say it, and you did say it

I prefer watching Ronnie in full flow as well....

My point was nothing to do with what players or styles one prefers

It was more to do wit the whole and complete game of snooker...

A game that Selby has in abundance.......

And some folks try to pick parts of this greatness to slate him, and in doing so, they only show their ignorance of what the game is all about.

Even when pretending to praise him....you get the backhanded compliment vibe.

You seem obsessed with this “back handed compliment “ line. I don’t know why.

No one is slating him that I can see. People just don’t like how he plays.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

To Flasher and Walshb , I think Selby is a fantastic player.
    He has it all, one of the best at safety, tremendous potting and bottle when he does get a chance etc, etc.
    My problem, and has been for years is the way he goes about it. You and others find nothing wrong with his obvious tactics when playing, albeit within the rules. I find it completely cynical ala Ebdon-esque. You talk about money etc, like it justifies his style of play, in my mind, nothing justifies it. You's see it as all above board and "his game", I see it as an obvious as hell form of gamesmanship, which I personally have never, would never resort to. I love snooker , always have and I could play at a decent enough standard at one stage. We're all entitled to our opinions I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

volono wrote: »
    To Flasher and Walshb , I think Selby is a fantastic player.
    He has it all, one of the best at safety, tremendous potting and bottle when he does get a chance etc, etc.
    My problem, and has been for years is the way he goes about it. You and others find nothing wrong with his obvious tactics when playing, albeit within the rules. I find it completely cynical ala Ebdon-esque. You talk about money etc, like it justifies his style of play, in my mind, nothing justifies it. You's see it as all above board and "his game", I see it as an obvious as hell form of gamesmanship, which I personally have never, would never resort to. I love snooker , always have and I could play at a decent enough standard at one stage. We're all entitled to our opinions I suppose

You would if there was 500k on the line...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

What I find most frustrating about watching Selby is that you think he's finally going to get down to take the shot after all his walking around and making faces. He does this little bend forward to fool you and then he's up again for another walk and a look. Absolutely no need for that. I hate Ronnie, but he doesn't do any of this ****e, nor do most other players.

I don't find anything exciting about watching Selby. Yes, he's thorough and yes he gets results, but he doesn't give one toss about the people watching him.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭volono

To Sandor, I mentioned before I played countless money matches in my time and believe me I know the feeling of being under pressure and keeping things right etc re: saftys....not for that type of money of course, it is the the prize money for the professional WORLD championship.
    And in my mind , that's still not a justification for what he gets up to, at all!!!.
    To Laidir, I enjoy watching snooker regardless, last thing on players minds are the viewers., Although I agree and have said numerous times, it's a very deliberate tactic by Selby , there's others posting here that won't agree and think it's great. I see it different, it's bang out of order tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Selby, O'Sullivan and all the top players aren't playing for money anymore, they're gone past that stage, they are financially secure for life, if they never earned a penny from snooker again they'd still be able to live a life of luxury. Murphy who has had a decent career, but, fairly average by top player standards, has earned around 4.5 million sterling, so it's not about money for these guys, it's about the prestige of winning the big titles and to prove that they can still do it at the highest level, chase records, get higher up the all time list etc.The money is a nice bonus, but, not the driving motivation for them. It's the same for most top sports people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

watching the seniors....ken played well....but am very surprised with igor figueiredo, hes a very good player, wouldnt have been out of place with this standard of play in main tournament.

pockets look generous though...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

dougm1970 wrote: »
    watching the seniors....ken played well....but am very surprised with igor figueiredo, hes a very good player, wouldnt have been out of place with this standard of play in main tournament.

pockets look generous though...
    Where are you watching the seniors?

Is it on cheapskate telly?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Where are you watching the seniors?

Is it on cheapskate telly?

BBC red button and iPlayer.

It's also on matchroom.live

That's where I'm watching.

Senior thread here:
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058183306/4/#post117105815

yea...bbc red button.

hendry seems to be playing better than he did in main qualifiers, but these pockets look wide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

BBC red button and iPlayer.

It's also on matchroom.live

That's where I'm watching.

Senior thread here:
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058183306/4/#post117105815

Sorry I'm not very IT savy - but is BBC red button on Sky. Can't see it anywhere.
    The Matchroom.live is a payable subscription. Right?

Sorry I'm not very IT savy - but is BBC red button on Sky. Can't see it anywhere.
    The Matchroom.live is a payable subscription. Right?

It should be on sky. I'm not a subscriber anymore.

I bought a day subscription for matchroom yesterday to watch ken's match for 99c. It's still working. I'd recommend grabbing that if you can rather than seeking out dodgy streams.

It's casting fine on both mg Roku and Chromecast as well.

The red button is gone off Sky a good while now (might still be there if you have a sports sub maybe?).

I'm watching on iplayer via a VPN, but no cast option which is a bit annoying.

The red button is gone off Sky a good while now (might still be there if you have a sports sub maybe?).

I'm watching on iplayer via a VPN, but no cast option which is a bit annoying.

It's been that long since I subscribed.

Give matchroom your euro. You can cast from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭flasher0030

It's been that long since I subscribed.

Give matchroom your euro. You can cast from there.

Thank you. Don't have Chromecast or anything of the like. But I can hook the laptop to the TV oldschool i.e. HDMI cable.

to tune bbc red button on a sky box....i think....

BBC Red Button 1 10773 H DBV-S QPSK 22000 5/6

follow instructions here.... (updated march 2021)

For Sky Q boxes, use the instructions below:

Find the channel you want to tune in using the table below
    Go to your TV Guide using your remote
    Using the menu on the left, select “Settings”
    In the settings menu, choose “Manual Tuning”
    Insert your PIN if prompted
    Select “Add a channel”
    The fields on this screen will match up with the columns below
    Input the codes for the channel(s) you want to tune
    Select “Find Channels”
    On the next screen choose the channel(s) you would like to save – a tick should appear beside the selected channels.
    Select “Save Channels”
    To view the channels, just go back to the “Settings > Manual Tuning” menu and choose the channel you want to watch.

For older Sky boxes, can you follow the instructions below:

Find the channel you want to tune in using the table below
    Go to your TV Guide using your remote
    Press UP to go to the top menu
    Scroll to “Options”
    Press down to go to the secondary menu
    Scroll to the right and select “Add Channels”
    You should get a screen like the image in this link -> http://i.imgur.com/paU64iM.jpg
    The fields on this screen will match up with the columns below
    Input the codes you want to use
    Press the yellow button to search
    Use arrows and the yellow button to select the channels you want to save
    Press SELECT to save
    To view the channels navigate to “Other Channels” on the menu.

I've just tried that, and "BBC RB1" is showing football. Whatever one is showing the snooker doesn't seem to be available

I've just tried that, and "BBC RB1" is showing football. Whatever one is showing the snooker doesn't seem to be available

No snooker on til 7

No snooker on til 7

I'm watching it on the iplayer.... :confused:

ETA - sorry, I see now it's listed on the RB channel for 7pm, hadn't scrolled over that far!

• Advertisement

Nice write up with Shaun here:

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/shaun-murphy-i-always-felt-i-would-call-ireland-my-home-1.4558539

Nothing groundbreaking but nice all the same.

Advertisement