Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is all the traffic going???

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

This whole OTT invective below:

"Who are you to suggest that these journeys are “spurious”? You have no idea what people are doing. I honestly thought when the ludicrous 5km rule was scrapped we would see an end to this constant policing of other people but it looks like I was wrong."

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

MojoMaker wrote: »
    This whole OTT invective below:

"Who are you to suggest that these journeys are “spurious”? You have no idea what people are doing. I honestly thought when the ludicrous 5km rule was scrapped we would see an end to this constant policing of other people but it looks like I was wrong."

:rolleyes:

It seems to me like you are the one with the chip, asking about where people are going and what they are doing. What does it matter to you? OTT invective? Please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,574 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

folks, i think you're arguing over a misinterpretation, let's just call it quits on that disagreement?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

L1011 wrote: »
    Huge number of people find excuses to not WFH as soon as they aren't stuck with the kids at home all day - there's been spikes at every date some kids have gone back, and a significant drop-off during the holidays.
    I'm surprised, most of the people I know who worked from home were finding excuses to their partners or others to go in when the kids were at home, now that the kids are in school they don't seem to be popping in as much. Different folks I suppose.
    Also, public transit is not only limited in capacity, but running a weekend service in a lot of cases so some people who would take it are driving to ensure they either get in at all / on time / notionally safer due to overcrowding.
    PT is a joke at the minute but not sure what can be done. the two buses passing my place are packed within the first 3km from 7:30 with school kids so its great for drafting on the commute but a pain in the ass if you live closer to the city centre, school kids are out really early to get a spot on the buses.

The only WFH I have noticed changing are people who are dropping kids in and now think, well, as easy to go to the office as home. That said my daughter is back in the office for the purposes of training which she says can be done from home but so many were slacking off on trainign they got fed up with trying it (young people :rolleyes: )
    Flaccus wrote: »
    Aren't the government passing a law soon which gives employees the right to request to WFH. And if the employer refuses it has to stand up in court. I know lots of people WFH for over a year and productivity is way up, so not sure what excuse an employer can come up with once this law passes, if they wish to refuse WFH option.
    Alas this will only really work in cases where you are in a strong established position, or if you have a decent employer. My daughter does what she is told as she is the bottom of the food chain, the same as most of did because like it or not, unless you get a decent boss, the answer could be no and trying to force the issue at a young age will ruin the working relationship and you will be out the door fairly quick. As you get older and established, its easier to stand up and be counted and legally, as you get closer to pension age, a settlement in a dispute will weigh more in the employees favour, whereas a young person will still be seen as highly employable and basically just become unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TiBoy

Oh God NOOO!! Robert Twat running the country is a scary thought (btw I logged in specially just to post this:rolleyes:))

0lddog wrote: »
    I approve :)

Seems Robert Watt ( the man who should be running the country :p ) has a somewhat similar view :D

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/robert-watt-advises-managers-not-to-engage-with-toxic-social-media-1.4537575

I presume OP was asking a rhetorical question ( after all how could anyone know 'where is all the traffic going' ) with, perhaps, the aim of feeding the 'vortex of reading and commenting on what people' do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Traffic is completely nuts today. My mate left my house in Raheny 25 mins ago and he's only at Donaghmede shopping centre, he drives a delivery van and said today is the worst he's seen since lockdown. Journey would normally take 5 mins max.
    I can never understand why people think it's a good idea to drive anywhere at this time on a Saturday, it's always terrible, combined with the sunny day you'd be nuts to take the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,856 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He can hardly carry all his deliveries on a bicycle.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    He can hardly carry all his deliveries on a bicycle.

No delivery vans are essential, driving short distances when they could do it by other means isn't essential.

No delivery vans are essential, driving short distances when they could do it by other means isn't essential.

Lot of people want to bring their families to the coast today and enjoy the beautiful weather in this first weekend of slightly relieved restrictions. Admittedly, capacity at the coast is limited, which causes congestion, but its just false to say its practical for many to do it by other means.

Everyone should be willing to absorb a few minutes of inconvenience for the greater mental and physical boost a day out in such weather does for the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not if there are small people or other less mobile people to be moved, with all that entails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Macy0161 wrote: »
    ...The checkpoints are completely gone....
    Mrs WA was stopped and questioned 4 times this morning at Covid checkpoints.

(She also got a speeding ticket as is annoyed that I have no sympathy for her).

Where the feck did she encounter four checkpoints? Was she doing laps?!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Where the feck did she encounter four checkpoints? Was she doing laps?!
    She had to cross a few counties (essential journey) - Swords, Rathcoole, Naas, Portlaoise.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not if there are small people or other less mobile people to be moved, with all that entails.

Yeah that still doesn't account for the mayhem today. Anyway i don't know how yous do it, i get stressed even looking at that kind of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Traffic is completely nuts today. My mate left my house in Raheny 25 mins ago and he's only at Donaghmede shopping centre, he drives a delivery van and said today is the worst he's seen since lockdown. Journey would normally take 5 mins max.
    I can never understand why people think it's a good idea to drive anywhere at this time on a Saturday, it's always terrible, combined with the sunny day you'd be nuts to take the car.

Can well believe it , that route is nearly always bad . Lots of traffic lights, roundabouts and a huge population between . Occasionally I’ve cycled it and it’s not a nice experience .

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Count Down

silverharp wrote: »
    interesting, I would need a good reason to go to the office, I wonder is it a big company/small company thing with Im guessing small owner managed companies wanting people back more?
    I dont think my office wants to see us before Sep and the jungle drums are suggesting that on going after they are going to be really supportive of people partly working from home as its saving them a ton of money in travel expenses

in cycling terms the idea of being home on a friday is a game changer, can get 2 decent rides in Fri and Sun

These '2 decent rides in Fri and Sun' - are they 2 different people?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Count Down wrote: »
    These '2 decent rides in Fri and Sun' - are they 2 different people?

Friday is more like a quickie, Sunday is for long and sensual

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement