Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is all the traffic going???

Options
  • 15-04-2021 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭

Out each morning commuting on the bike this week - crossing Dublin from Castleknock area to Sandyford, via PP > Kilmainham > Canal > Ranelagh > Clonskeagh. Traffic levels virtually back to pre-covid levels despite the fact that we are still in level 5 lockdown and still mandated to work from home, and indeed very few workplaces actually open, and nothing new since last week as government direction did not change on this matter.

7-8am so not school-bound traffic. Where is everyone going??

The 20km extension is to allow people to visit relatives and not to extend non-essential travel, in any case how many mammy-in-laws are being visited at 7:30am?

Only the 4 beeps as well, I must be getting better on the rothar :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'll always see heavier traffic around and before the school run starts, for two reasons, i would surmise. one is that it's people leaving earlier to avoid the school traffic.

the second is that people (well, parents specifically) are much more likely to take their holidays when the schools are on holiday. so work attendance *does* match school term to a degree - though this is more in relation to the argument i hear that schools are solely to blame for the increase in traffic you see as term starts again. people forget this factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

My guess; A lot of the kids that went back to school this week, got lifts early in the morning. They were brining back all their books to school since many of them 1-3yrs were at home since Christmas. Also, with public transport at 25%, many of them are getting lifts anyway.

My lad is back on his bike now, which is great for him. Hopefully if public transport goes up from 25% we can see more kids getting back on that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

MojoMaker wrote: »
    The 20km extension is to allow people to visit relatives and not to extend non-essential travel, in any case how many mammy-in-laws are being visited at 7:30am?

Ah jaysus. I for one will be using the 20km extension to enjoy "non-essential travel" to go mountain biking and hill running this weekend.

I figure a lot of the cars on the road are essential workers who would normally take public transport but are avoiding doing so due to the respiratory disease pandemic that's going on.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭Macy0161

NEPHT have been flagging this for weeks that compliance with working remotely hasn't been as good this time, even compared to the second lockdown. Employers are wanting people back in the workplace, when they could be remote. And also there's workers sick of being remote. Both are facilitated by the schools and childcare being back.

Also, compared to lockdown 1, more health services are continuing this time. This has me on the road 3 times a week, for example, compared to previously I was only out for the weekly family shop!

Having said that, more traffic impact at the weekend where I live. We've (somewhat selfishly) enjoyed the lack of streams and streams of people in cars heading to the Wicklow Mountains, and it has given the children much more freedom, as less idiots on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭G1032

It's a legitimate question posed by the OP
    I'm working in Galway. I've about an hour of a drive home from work, North from Galway, and don't have to go into or across the city.
    The last 6 or 7 weeks it's been taking me between 10 and fifteen minutes longer to go home from work (3pm finish) than it was doing in the months before.
    Where are all these people driving to and from that they weren't driving to a month and a half ago???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Macy0161 wrote: »
    NEPHT have been flagging this for weeks that compliance with working remotely hasn't been as good this time, even compared to the second lockdown. Employers are wanting people back in the workplace, when they could be remote. And also there's workers sick of being remote. Both are facilitated by the schools and childcare being back.

Also, compared to lockdown 1, more health services are continuing this time. This has me on the road 3 times a week, for example, compared to previously I was only out for the weekly family shop!

Having said that, more traffic impact at the weekend where I live. We've (somewhat selfishly) enjoyed the lack of streams and streams of people in cars heading to the Wicklow Mountains, and it has given the children much more freedom, as less idiots on the road.

interesting, I would need a good reason to go to the office, I wonder is it a big company/small company thing with Im guessing small owner managed companies wanting people back more?
    I dont think my office wants to see us before Sep and the jungle drums are suggesting that on going after they are going to be really supportive of people partly working from home as its saving them a ton of money in travel expenses

in cycling terms the idea of being home on a friday is a game changer, can get 2 decent rides in Fri and Sun

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know a couple of people who have been told to attend the office again. one of whom whose job is precarious so he's not going to rock the boat by pushing back on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i know a couple of people who have been told to attend the office again. one of whom whose job is precarious so he's not going to rock the boat by pushing back on that.

irish/multinational? large/small?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

i think there's a parent company, but if so, he works for the irish specific operation; one of those small sounding companies that's bigger than you think IIRC.

It can come down to specific managers (like all flexible working arrangements). fwiw I had to argue to even have the option of going back in - sometimes the medical appointments/ work requirements make timings too tight to go in and out form home.

• Advertisement

yeah, my wife works in the public service and several of her colleagues (on different teams) were ordered into the office very early on, even though they can work from home. and it seems to be the individual manager's style - in this case, it's a very insecure micromanager who brought them back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

This tweet is interesting (author works for the CSO) still 44% down than the same week in 2019. There's a theory I have in that we've all become accustomed to the reduced traffic on the roads in the past 12 months that when we see it now with schools and more workplaces opened our brains automatically think it's too much.

https://twitter.com/colettekeane1/status/1381910878174515201

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭ted1

This tweet is interesting (author works for the CSO) still 44% down than the same week in 2019. There's a theory I have in that we've all become accustomed to the reduced traffic on the roads in the past 12 months that when we see it now with schools and more workplaces opened our brains automatically think it's too much.

https://twitter.com/colettekeane1/status/1381910878174515201

We where working at hone then? How does it compare to 2019?

ted1 wrote: »
    We where working at hone then? How does it compare to 2019?

it says we're up 120% on this time 2020 (WFH), still 44% down on 2019 (Not WFH). Read the tweet from Colette not the quoted tweet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Huge number of people find excuses to not WFH as soon as they aren't stuck with the kids at home all day - there's been spikes at every date some kids have gone back, and a significant drop-off during the holidays.

Also, public transit is not only limited in capacity, but running a weekend service in a lot of cases so some people who would take it are driving to ensure they either get in at all / on time / notionally safer due to overcrowding.

L1011 wrote: »

Also, public transit is not only limited in capacity, but running a weekend service in a lot of cases so some people who would take it are driving to ensure they either get in at all / on time / notionally safer due to overcrowding.

I took the bus once in the past few months. There were coverings on the seats to space people out but naturally those were removed by people and moved to other seats so they could sit with their friends. Then you had the people with their masks under their chins as soon as they got past the driver and of course other passengers insisted all the windows upstairs had to be closed because "it was chilly" so no ventilation. A short haul flight would have been safer. I imagine anyone who has the option to drive would be avoiding it.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

it says we're up 120% on this time 2020 (WFH)
    *at* 120% or *up* 120%? i assume you mean the latter.

*at* 120% or *up* 120%? i assume you mean the latter.
    yup up 120% for the same period in 2020.

No schools, zero builders, all non-emergency health care cancelled this time last year. You'd expect some increase but they obviously have the stats of people going to offices this time.

Also, very little enforcement compared to a month ago. The checkpoints are completely gone, but they'd already reduced from stopping every car to random.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

School aside, I'm talking about traffic levels up from before the Easter break when the majority of school kids were already back. It's specifically since April 5th however.

Maybe it's purely the lockdown effect as mentioned earlier, and it just seems to be crazy because we've been living with delightful levels of traffic for a year now so any increase on that seems like an end of the world vista.

We've had more than a passing glimpse at what traffic levels *could* be at permanently, with more people walking, cycling, and scooting to work than ever before - it will be really depressing if we just roll back into pre-Covid traffic levels and commuting mindsets once this is behind us.

• Advertisement

Traffic will always expand to fill the available space. When buses are "safe" again, that'll probably take some pressure off but the same thing will apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

When you are looking at traffic, cars, buses, bikes, you need to realise you ARE the traffic, where are you going? Those people are probably looking at you thinking the same thing, where's he off to.

School aside, I'm talking about traffic levels up from before the Easter break when the majority of school kids were already back. It's specifically since April 5th however.
    Secondary schools weren't really (only leaving cycle), and for the junior classes of primary I would say people didn't bother the two weeks before the Easter break.

But I think it's just reflective of a general lack of compliance this time - going to work isn't going to be any different from people ignoring the 5km.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Where i work...The office staff were allowed to work from home since March 2020...

But last summer, one of the department heads wanted his team back onsite, and was kicking up a serious fuss...

Us on the Production side weren't happy as they(Office staff) typically work different shifts(7-3/9-5 compared to production 8-4/4-12) than us, and would mean potential shift cross over...Production weren't allowed to stay back or come in early to avoid shift cross over...

This particular department head got his way with a little bit compromise...office staff production decreased, most of the staff were more efficient WFH...so it lasted about 3 weeks, before they were WFH again...

My misses has worked from home in her job a few times over the pandemic, she says she is able to get more work done at her desk in the spareroom, as their is less distractions and she knows if she finishes earlier she can just go to the couch

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

amazing how many cars are on the road since the schools restarted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Tails142 wrote: »
    When you are looking at traffic, cars, buses, bikes, you need to realise you ARE the traffic, where are you going? Those people are probably looking at you thinking the same thing, where's he off to.

Yep, we are traffic. However we are not creating queues, blocking the road network, or putting anyone at risk (in general).

Specifically why has the motorised traffic significantly increased since April 5th at times outside of school pressure?

If you (the collective you) tell me drivers are now modifying their commute hours to avoid school clashes I'll mention I was cycling at a later time in the weeks prior and still then the traffic levels were nothing like they have been this week.

I reckon it's the 20km effect and the huge licence being taken with that.

It's a bit sickening to think we are possibly heading back into the 2019 nightmare of big city traffic just as we've learned how to live differently.

I must email Eamonn Ryan about where the plans are now, a few years later, for a Dublin city congestion charge. Something to stop Mannix's heart :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

yeah, my wife works in the public service and several of her colleagues (on different teams) were ordered into the office very early on, even though they can work from home. and it seems to be the individual manager's style - in this case, it's a very insecure micromanager who brought them back in.

Aren't the government passing a law soon which gives employees the right to request to WFH. And if the employer refuses it has to stand up in court. I know lots of people WFH for over a year and productivity is way up, so not sure what excuse an employer can come up with once this law passes, if they wish to refuse WFH option.

Out each morning commuting on the bike this week - crossing Dublin from Castleknock area to Sandyford, via PP > Kilmainham > Canal > Ranelagh > Clonskeagh. Traffic levels virtually back to pre-covid levels despite the fact that we are still in level 5 lockdown and still mandated to work from home, and indeed very few workplaces actually open, and nothing new since last week as government direction did not change on this matter.

7-8am so not school-bound traffic. Where is everyone going??

Only the 4 beeps as well, I must be getting better on the rothar :pac:

Somebody commuting wonders why others are commuting

in our place (large multinational), they set guidelines for office occupancy based on official government levels. level 5 meant 1% occupancy allowed, and anyone who needed to come in had to be signed off at director level.

it's easier for a company like ours, we operate in a sphere where working from home is easier than for most.

• Advertisement

Even with having the kids here on my own or with the time it takes to drop and collect them from school my productivity is up . I was asked recently on a call if I was particularly attached to my desk in the office which I took as a sign I'll be at home for the foreseeable which suits me just fine if I'm honest. Where I was set up in the office with my 2 colleagues was quite central and we are our own team /dept but we'd deal with and interact with all of the others.

We'd have a lot of time wasted to people just passing us with nonsense problems they could have just googled and sometimes queries about personal laptops etc.

There are down sides I guess in that it was easier to work on something between the 3 of us or get an opinion when were were in the same space, but teams works fine. Also having to make every cup of tea or coffee yourself is a pain as opposed to 1 in 3 and one of the women baked on a Thursday evening so there was always something nice on a Friday.

Advertisement