Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai not responding to request for info needed to commence a civil case, what next?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

whippet wrote: »
    Are you surprised ? He has been speaking with guards and solicitor friends

C',mon Whippet, you shouldn't have to make stuff up to make your point.

I spoke to one friend who is a Guard (briefly whilst watching a match in a pub) and have deliberately deferred talking to my solicitor until I've had a definitive response from AGS.
    and yet still awaits the elusive response that isn’t going to happen

I'll be you I do get a response even if it takes another 3 months. I'll keep chipping away until I do and via GSOC etc if I have to.

The outcome may confirm the local Supers reply and if it does I'll accept that. I don't expect AGS to break the law!!
    before proceeding in to a process which he knows won’t happen ..... but but but ..... he will !!!

One step at a time Whippet, let me fist get the AGS definitive response and then, taking into account all the sound advice I've gotten here and (likely) the input of my solicitor, I'll decide whether to try to bring a Civil Case or not but obviously if I can't get the contact details of the vandals parents from AGS it's unlikely I'll be able to bring a case.

I'm hoping for a Hollywood style ending to this where the Super calls him into his office and says he has a copy of the report with the kids name in it sitting right there on his desk. But unfortunately he's legally prevented from sharing the report. And then he excuses himself for five minutes to go to the jacks.

A here, you know it takes a lot longer than five minutes ;)

GM228 wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the forthcoming 54and56 vs A (a minor) [2021] IEHC 101 judgement, it's going to be the new Rule 101 reading for all the judiciary, legal scholars, solicitors and barristers alike.

Now we're on the same page GM228, I like your positive thinking.

No more negative waves allowed around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

54and56 wrote: »
    Did you not read the final sentence of the reply or are you just choosing to ignore it?

I'm kind of wishing the final sentence was removed myself now :p

The final sentence doesn’t negate the information provided before it! There are a number of reasons why you may be referred to another division, most notably out of professional curtesy or for you to seek clarification as to the specifics of the legislation being cited! I do accept that it appears to have caused confusion and even provided you with a false expectation of a positive outcome!

Regardless of that, that response you attached to this thread was a formal Garda response outlining that you can’t have that info and the reason why!

I work in the world of financial regulation and that response if it were a response from a financial institution regarding a request for let’s say bank account information, it would unequivocally be considered a valid and acceptable response, I’m sure the guards/GSOC would think the same!

I presume your Garda friend also told you that the gardai couldn't give you the information you require?
    So now a garda dealing with your case, a superintendent and ,I'll assume, your Garda friend have all told you the same thing.
    It doesn't matter what your friends thoughts about the JLO system are, just as it doesn't matter what anyone here thinks about it, the system is as is, and the law is as is.

This is getting funnier.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭I see sheep

This thread reads like a wind-up to be honest.
    If it isn't you just need to forget about it OP and get on with your life, you've wasted too much time on it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

If it isn't you just need to forget about it OP and get on with your life, you've wasted too much time on it already.

Yeah, it took me a while to spot the wind ups but there is def a whiff.

bubblypop wrote: »
    I presume your Garda friend also told you that the gardai couldn't give you the information you require?
    So now a garda dealing with your case, a superintendent and ,I'll assume, your Garda friend have all told you the same thing.
    It doesn't matter what your friends thoughts about the JLO system are, just as it doesn't matter what anyone here thinks about it, the system is as is, and the law is as is.

This is getting funnier.......

IIRC my friends exact reply was something like "you won't get much mileage out of those cnuts".

The investigating Garda replied that he couldn't give me the info (no reason stated) and said it was something I needed to contact the local Super over which I did and although his reply may contain the ultimate answer it's inconclusive due to the addition of the final sentence suggesting I contact the Youth Diversion Super.

I work in the world of financial regulation and that response if it were a response from a financial institution regarding a request for let’s say bank account information, it would unequivocally be considered a valid and acceptable response

That's a false equivalence.

My time would only be wasted if I wasn't getting anything of value from this thread (and wasn't in a lockdown!!) but that's not the case. It's been very informative so far.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it took me a while to spot the wind ups but there is def a whiff.

You're in danger of becoming one of those people who are often wrong but never in doubt :-)

54and56 wrote: »
    IIRC my friends exact reply was something like "you won't get much mileage out of those cnuts".

The investigating Garda replied that he couldn't give me the info (no reason stated) and said it was something I needed to contact the local Super over which I did and although his reply may contain the ultimate answer it's inconclusive due to the addition of the final sentence suggesting I contact the Youth Diversion Super.

The supers answer was not inconclusive, he even gave you the legislation that prevented that information being given to you.
    So, 3 members of AGS, and plenty of them on this thread, along with other learned posters I'm sure, have all told you the same thing.
    Yet you still insist on being told that very same thing by another superintendent!
    Some people just can't be helped

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement