Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Masters 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭Degag

rooney30 wrote: »
    Not really feeling that leaderboard for tommorrow
    . Hideki and Rose don’t exactly set the pulses racing

Xander could be a decent bet.

Great putt from Justin!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,120 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It does if you've been wanting Hideki to win for years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I think a few could still win it, reckon Hideki will struggle tomorrow, particularly if the wind blows

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Phenomenal scrambling by Rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,842 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Not sure why - but watching some of the old Masters that Sky show- Tiger in his (late) prime versus Phil - 2009 , neither of them won. But what a time for golf.

Jaysus lads.

H. Matsuyama

W. Zalatoris

X. Schauffele

M. Leishman

J. Rose

Not a leaderboard that will have me on a Sunday - with a genuine nervousness and horrible wait to the too late live coverage.

Anyway - I know we all suffer from excessive nostalgia in golf - but even the older characters in '09 like - Chad Campbell , Kenny Perry - seem to be more real versus the modern bomb it pro / walking advert / skinny lads.

Maybe old age lads and covid - but - something not right with this Masters.

No Phil - Tiger - Rory , what is life without the characters.

At times like these - you'd even ask where is Bubba and Bryson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I’d like matsuyama to win. I think it would be good for the game. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

poisonated wrote: »
    I’d like matsuyama to win. I think it would be good for the game. I could be wrong though.

I agree, although wouldn't mind a rose come back. Have a few quid on him

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Not sure why - but watching some of the old Masters that Sky show- Tiger in his (late) prime versus Phil - 2009 , neither of them won. But what a time for golf.

Jaysus lads.

H. Matsuyama

W. Zalatoris

X. Schauffele

M. Leishman

J. Rose

Not a leaderboard that will have me on a Sunday - with a genuine nervousness and horrible wait to the too late live coverage.

Anyway - I know we all suffer from excessive nostalgia in golf - but even the older characters in '09 like - Chad Campbell , Kenny Perry - seem to be more real versus the modern bomb it pro / walking advert / skinny lads.

Agreed. It's flat for me. There's no personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lot of the top dogs missed the cut. I'll be watching but might slip to bed early if he gets through amen corner unscathed.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,556 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Huge pressure on Matsuyama tonight, will Japan finally get their first major in men's golf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

For me, this Masters didn’t quite give me the same buzz as always, but that’s mostly down to burnout. We were treated to the Masters 2020 only 5 months ago whereas usually you have the year break and are itching for it again.

Similar for things like the 6 Nations this year where it felt like last years’ just ended and we were already into a new one.

Will likely be a forgotten Masters in a sense (unless someone like Spieth won). I’m just not enjoying it the same way I usually would a Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Agreed. It's been a bit meh.

No real big personalities up there. A Spieth/Thomas shootout would have been good.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

It's easy to get nostalgic about past Masters tournaments.

Nicklaus in 86, Mize's chip in, Norman's collapse, Tiger's wins, Phil's first win, McIlroys back nine implosion

Loads of 'bland' winners too in recent years..Immelman, Schwartzel, Scott, Willett, Weir, Cabrera, Zach Johnson.

Players come and go but the appeal for me is the course because no lead is big enough going into that back nine on Sunday and there is the potential for drama especially as only Rose has won a major before.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

callaway92 wrote:
    For me, this Masters didn’t quite give me the same buzz as always, but that’s mostly down to burnout. We were treated to the Masters 2020 only 5 months ago whereas usually you have the year break and are itching for it again.

Similar for things like the 6 Nations this year where it felt like last years’ just ended and we were already into a new one.

Will likely be a forgotten Masters in a sense (unless someone like Spieth won). I’m just not enjoying it the same way I usually would a Masters.
    It's the November one that'll be the forgotten one as it wasn't like a real Masters.
    What Matsuyama did yesterday over the final eight holes was incredible. Up there all time in back nines.
    Is it that there's only one major winner near the top of the leaderboard that is doing this to you?
    If Matsuyama does this he could go on to be a multiple major winner. Hard to believe that he's only 29 as he's been around so long and has contended in a fair few majors.
    Zalatoris is a future major winner I think, gonna be a great one. He'll have two top tens after this one from two major events. Only 24 years old.
    Corey Conners is another up and comer. He played well in November and is also 29.
    Xander Schauffele, 7 top tens in 12 majors including a runner-up finish to Tiger in 2019 at the Masters. 27 years of age.
    The next decade in golf is well represented here.
    Then you have the old guys, Leishman whose contended a few times and Rose whose won a major and been twice runner-up at Augusta among his five top tens.
    And just behind those is Spieth who we all know lots about. He hasn't putted well this week, watch out if that putter gets hot like it's done many times on a major Sunday. And he's still only 27.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Lip Out

Definitely a lackluster leaderboard. Matsuyama, whilst a great talent, is dull and lacks personality. Just my own thoughts but I also find it annoying that he still needs a translator after 10 years of being on tour and earning millions in the process.

Hoping for a Spieth charge up the leaderboard but probably too far back now unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Corey Connors ball striking is as good as any top player I have seen. It’s a pity he is so meh with the putter.

This ain’t over yet. Xander has quietly went about his business. I still think anyone from Spieth up could do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Jaysus lads.

H. Matsuyama

W. Zalatoris

X. Schauffele

M. Leishman

J. Rose

You always love to be absolutely miserable with some of these tournaments.

Looking for characters; Speith is content gold, Leishman somehow gets around Augusta the same as Speith as he is a terrible driver, zalatoris doesn’t even have a pga tour card, Xander has a very interesting back story and is an absolute stud in the majors. The fact you think Campbell and Perry were more interesting characters is absolutely laughable. Both extremely boring.

Bryson is still about to provide plenty more intrigue. Expected way more from him yesterday.

Can’t say it’s over completely yet. Speith lost a 6 shot lead with only 9 holes to go, Rory blew a lead and Hideki has the pressure of a nation on his shoulders today. Shoots 70 or less he definitely wins it but I think the guys a seven under have the capability to shoot 66 or so. Think Xander is the main threat. He really needs to show some metal on these major Sunday’s as he has been in contention a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Lip Out wrote: »
    Definitely a lackluster leaderboard. Matsuyama, whilst a great talent, is dull and lacks personality. Just my own thoughts but I also find it annoying that he still needs a translator after 10 years of being on tour and earning millions in the process.

Hoping for a Spieth charge up the leaderboard but probably too far back now unfortunately.

There are no players around the top of game now that have that X factor which gets the general public engaged and excited in the way that Woods, Ballesteros and Nicklaus did in their day. All the younger players now look like they came off the same conveyor belt, which I suppose they have.
    Speith is probably the most entertaining player around now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Hopefully they haven’t watered the greens so it’s lightening fast, some pressure on Hideki I bet he didn’t sleep a wink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Only a casual fan myself but hate when people use the term 'characters in any sport these days.

Sure if they show a bit of 'character' they get torn to pieces, you only have to look what happened Thomas a few weeks ago with his comment after a poor round.

And then to say its missing Rory is ridiculous, what 'character' does he have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

hawaii501 wrote: »
    Only a casual fan myself but hate when people use the term 'characters in any sport these days.

Sure if they show a bit of 'character' they get torn to pieces, you only have to look what happened Thomas a few weeks ago with his comment after a poor round.

And then to say its missing Rory is ridiculous, what 'character' does he have?

What comment? The homophobic slur he used because he missed a putt?

This isn't over in my opinion.

An early bogey for Hideki and he could struggle.

One of the worst putters on tour aswell.

It'd be cool to finally see a japanese major winner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

What comment? The homophobic slur he used because he missed a putt?

I did find that one a bit odd, a man uses a word towards himself and he is somehow insulting an entire group. Sure the word choice was poor, but when did meaning offence stop being relevant?

Or did I misunderstand that story?

Either way I think not having some of the players who can in 1 round change the whole competition is making it a bit less entertaining, I assume that's what people meant regarding the big personality thing.

Plenty of safe and consistent lads there who will lose it rather than win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

So are we backing Hideki or the field?? While Hideki can be an awful putter he hasn’t and doesn’t make many mistakes with his long game. He is an exceptional ball striker.

Think he shoots 70 today so the chasing pack need a very low round to catch him. Still think it will tighten a bit but he will ultimately win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭waynescales1

It feels like the PGA tour don’t want “characters”, they prefer players with excellent PR skills.

Who’s the fat golfer with blond hair? Former winner? Isn’t he barred from Augusta for life? That’s what being a character gets you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Sky's presenters are something else ;)

Every sport, they know what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

So are we backing Hideki or the field?? While Hideki can be an awful putter he hasn’t and doesn’t make many mistakes with his long game. He is an exceptional ball striker.

Think he shoots 70 today so the chasing pack need a very low round to catch him. Still think it will tighten a bit but he will ultimately win it.

Japan will be going berserk about this. They have their own TV crews covering their players in the regular tournaments in the US so heaven knows the excitement at the possibility of a win today.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

It feels like the PGA tour don’t want “characters”, they prefer players with excellent PR skills.

Who’s the fat golfer with blond hair? Former winner? Isn’t he barred from Augusta for life? That’s what being a character gets you.

Who ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

vladmydad wrote: »
    Who ?

From the description, guessing he means Jon Daly?

• Advertisement

I assume you're referring to John Daly, however he's neither a former winner nor banned from Augusta to my knowledge.

Advertisement