Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

4x4, what to buy?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Laura2021

You would be as well off avoid the 2.8 pajeros due to the head design. The 2.5s are good.

Waste of time even thinking about fuel economy in this segment imo. Condition of the vehicle is the be all and end all once you avoid the known
    problem models.

Isuzu dmax would be a good option.

Some great value to be had on single cab pickups of all makes too if the back seats aren't needed.

Would you recommend any? I wont be thinking of fuel economy just want something that is somewhat reliable and wont break down every week haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Laura2021 wrote: »
    Would you recommend any? I wont be thinking of fuel economy just want something that is somewhat reliable and wont break down every week haha

Dmax or older moldel Ford ranger worth looking for farm work type stuff.

Not sure you'd need something like that for trips away though. Surely a bike rack and roof box on a smaller suv type thing would be good enough and much easier ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

A commercial Kia Sportage, Hyundai Santa Fe or a SSangyong Korando might fit the bill.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

jeep grand cherokee are dirt cheap if you go pre 2011 , probably no less reliable than a landrover discovery

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    jeep grand cherokee are dirt cheap if you go pre 2011 , probably no less reliable than a landrover discovery

High praise :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭BnB

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Very hard to find one though. I was on the lookout for one for a few months before Christmas and I gave up in the end and bought a Disco.

I don't think reliability is meant to be a big issue for them. Don't they have an old Merc engine in them that is meant to be decent. (I could be wrong there though)

If you find one in decent condition, they are great value for what you get and you should certainly get one for less than €5k.

Look at this one for € 4.5k. It needs a good clean, but it's tested till the end of the year. You'd be looking at a fair sh1theap of a Pajero for the same money

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2010-jeep-grand-cherokee/27677760

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

BnB wrote: »
    Very hard to find one though. I was on the lookout for one for a few months before Christmas and I gave up in the end and bought a Disco.

I don't think reliability is meant to be a big issue for them. Don't they have an old Merc engine in them that is meant to be decent. (I could be wrong there though)

If you find one in decent condition, they are great value for what you get and you should certainly get one for less than €5k.

Look at this one for € 4.5k. It needs a good clean, but it's tested till the end of the year. You'd be looking at a fair sh1theap of a Pajero for the same money

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2010-jeep-grand-cherokee/27677760

the Merc engine in the grand cherokee is not viewed as having been an especially great Merc engine , the post 2011 cherokees have a very good Fiat engine in them

i just like the look of the cherokee , something different , probably be difficult to get parts however as only about two dealers left in the country ?

Advertisement