Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

17hmr cleaning kit

Options
  • 01-04-2021 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Well have the 22 traded in for a cz457 hmr and I'm looking for a good kit to clean it.As it's such a small bore I'm worried about using a pull through even though I always used 1 on the 22.Is a one piece better than the usual three piece set and could anyone recommend a set they are using or have used.Also let me know are the 20g bullets any better or worse than the 17g.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Asus1 wrote: »
    Well have the 22 traded in for a cz457 hmr and I'm looking for a good kit to clean it.
    Congrats. they are a fantastic rifle and i had the exact same one. Devastating on rabbits and other small game/vermin.

Few things i've noticed when i had mine.
    1. Cleaning is essential. This holds true for all rifles, but the hmr is a dirty little caliber. It also uses copper bullets so you'll need a stronger solvent than you would for your .22lr.
    2. If you buy a suppressor then make sure to clean it as much if not more frequently than your rifle. After 150 shots with mine you'd think i was going to go footing turf.
    3. Buy a suppressor that breaks down so you can clean it well. SAK, A-Tec Whisper or LEI are best (and in that order more expensive)
    4. Get a one piece rod. ProShot do a great rod and some shops have them in stock for that caliber.
    5. Keep a 100 yard zero on the gun. You'll only be 1/2" out at 50 yards and will have a point blank range of approx 125/130 yards.
    6. With 100 yard zero you'll need 3.5" of elevation/hold over for 200 yards. Not too bad and easy to hold off for those longer shots.
    7. Buy a second mag. I did and it was a life saver on "busy" nights/days.
    8. Go for head shots. The caliber is devastating on quarry and with kill, gut and clean out a rabbit (:D). If it's meat you're after stick with head shots.
    9. Don't try foxes at anything past 80 yards. Even at that always take head shots. You'll get people telling you, and it can be done, that they drop them at 150 yards, etc. Well i've shot a couple and if it was not a perfect head shot they ran.

That is about everything i can think off. All you need to do now is go out and enjoy it.
    As it's such a small bore I'm worried about using a pull through even though I always used 1 on the 22.
    Go wash your mouth out with soap. Pull through. Shame on you. :D

I'm messing but seriously i hate pull throughs. They're essentially useless for cleaning and if the barrel has a blockage a pull through won't go through to clear it.
    Is a one piece better than the usual three piece set and could anyone recommend a set they are using or have used.
    Stick with a one piece rod and avoid the two/three piece ones like the plague.

My personal choice would be Pro-Shot or Bore-Tech. Coated rod with excellent ability and array of attachments.
    Also let me know are the 20g bullets any better or worse than the 17g.
    Thanks.
    Depends.

My Savage liked the 20gr stuff but not the 17 and my CZ was the opposite (liked the 17, but was crap with the 20gr stuff).

Buy a few boxes (one of each) and do some paper punching and testing including linear, box and return to zero. Then test for grouping.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Asus1

Cass wrote: »
    Congrats. they are a fantastic rifle and i had the exact same one. Devastating on rabbits and other small game/vermin.

Few things i've noticed when i had mine.
    1. Cleaning is essential. This holds true for all rifles, but the hmr is a dirty little caliber. It also uses copper bullets so you'll need a stronger solvent than you would for your .22lr.
    2. If you buy a suppressor then make sure to clean it as much if not more frequently than your rifle. After 150 shots with mine you'd think i was going to go footing turf.
    3. Buy a suppressor that breaks down so you can clean it well. SAK, A-Tec Whisper or LEI are best (and in that order more expensive)
    4. Get a one piece rod. ProShot do a great rod and some shops have them in stock for that caliber.
    5. Keep a 100 yard zero on the gun. You'll only be 1/2" out at 50 yards and will have a point blank range of approx 125/130 yards.
    6. With 100 yard zero you'll need 3.5" of elevation/hold over for 200 yards. Not too bad and easy to hold off for those longer shots.
    7. Buy a second mag. I did and it was a life saver on "busy" nights/days.
    8. Go for head shots. The caliber is devastating on quarry and with kill, gut and clean out a rabbit (:D). If it's meat you're after stick with head shots.
    9. Don't try foxes at anything past 80 yards. Even at that always take head shots. You'll get people telling you, and it can be done, that they drop them at 150 yards, etc. Well i've shot a couple and if it was not a perfect head shot they ran.

That is about everything i can think off. All you need to do now is go out and enjoy it.

Go wash your mouth out with soap. Pull through. Shame on you. :D

I'm messing but seriously i hate pull throughs. They're essentially useless for cleaning and if the barrel has a blockage a pull through won't go through to clear it.

Stick with a one piece rod and avoid the two/three piece ones like the plague.

My personal choice would be Pro-Shot or Bore-Tech. Coated rod with excellent ability and array of attachments.

Depends.

My Savage liked the 20gr stuff but not the 17 and my CZ was the opposite (liked the 17, but was crap with the 20gr stuff).

Buy a few boxes (one of each) and do some paper punching and testing including linear, box and return to zero. Then test for grouping.

Cheers, good first hand advice from someone who had a 17 hmr,will look for the above mentioned gear.Thanks again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Had a Savage 93r17 and CZ455 in 17hmr at the same time (however that happened). Great little rifles and great fun to shoot. You'll have day of entertainment ahead.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Asus1

Cass wrote: »
    Had a Savage 93r17 and CZ455 in 17hmr at the same time (however that happened). Great little rifles and great fun to shoot. You'll have day of entertainment ahead.

Hopefully will drop in application for a substitute tomorrow.Got a fair price for rifle off dealer between €50/100 better than everyone else I rang and a fair few a on a waiting list for cz rifles.

Advertisement