Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

More than 3 guns

• 01-04-2021 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, does thing change in regards to security if you go over 3 guns. I've got a shotgun, .223 and .22 pcp airrifle. I've got the usual safe in a locked cupard. I have an alarm that's monitored to my own phone via gsm box and a security camera outside linked to my phone. If I apply for a .22lr is it going to be hassle or can you have 4 guns without fuss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

I think the magic number is usually six. But they can ask for a lot of security if you have just one. All depends on the super/chief super.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

If your local Super doesn't go belt and braces on you your good to go for five unrestricted firearms. At the sixth firearm the minimum requirements inculde a monitored alarm.

See the link for-
    Firearms (Secure Accommodation) Regulations 2009

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=87248&d=1249566160

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

tudderone wrote: »
    I think the magic number is usually six. But they can ask for a lot of security if you have just one. All depends on the super/chief super.

Let's be fair, they'd need a reason to elevate security.. and up until a few years ago there was none of this storage BS..

I went with a standard alarm but as soon as I had five guns I regretted not going higher..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Minimum standard.

The two words that should never have been allowed to stand back in 2008 when the shooting groups were discussing this with the PTB. It's minimum standards in the SI meaning a higher level can be applied regardless of amount of guns. They {AGS} do need to show good reason for the increase but the law is on their side on this issue.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

The best security is keeping your gob shut as regards to who you tell that you own firearms, and a big steel box to keep them in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

The best security is keeping your gob shut as regards to who you tell that you own firearms, and a big steel box to keep them in.

The problem is that it's hard to get shooting permission without divulging a limited amount of info..

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭JP22

Zxthinger wrote: »
    The problem is that it's hard to get shooting permission without divulging a limited amount of info..

I think most landowners/farmers are sensible enough and tight lipped so there should be little worry.

The biggest issue is loose talk in the pub and then others repeating the conservation to god knows who, then again we haven't been to a pub in quite a while now.:D, but you all know what I mean.

My rule is I don't talk shooting/firearms/hunting etc with anyone unless I absoutely positively know they also participate.

Zxthinger wrote: »

Not what i meant at all. The blabbermouth in the staff canteen announcing he has just got a gun licence, mouthing in the pub, telling the neighbours etc. No one i work with knows i have a gun, the neighbours don't and thats half the battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

JP22 wrote: »
    I think most landowners/farmers are sensible enough and tight lipped so there should be little worry.

The biggest issue is loose talk in the pub and then others repeating the conservation to god knows who, then again we haven't been to a pub in quite a while now.:D, but you all know what I mean.

My rule is I don't talk shooting/firearms/hunting etc with anyone unless I absoutely positively know they also participate.

And stay the absolute F,,K off Social media!!
    WTH are people posting under their real names pics of their firearms for?:eek: Change your name to a fake name, or put your address out on the Blasket islands or Rockall or something to throw anyone who might be targeting you off the scent,if you have some perverse reason to tell the World your business.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

JP22 wrote: »

... My rule is I don't talk shooting/firearms/hunting etc with anyone unless I absoutely positively know they also participate.

So, on that basis, do you expect others to talk about shooting, without knowing for a fact that you shoot? :)

A bit of common sense obviously needs to be applied, but I also think it's nice to be able to talk about your sporting interests, maybe try and get new people interested in the sport etc.

You can always say the firearms are kept in secure vaults at the gun club etc.

Thanks,

G.

• Advertisement

Discretion is the name of the game. You don't know who you are talking to really, or what they get up to. The company i served the last year of my apprenticeship with, got a job to do in one of the major banks. All staff working on site had to be vetted by the gardai, out of a staff of 30 it was just three of us who hadn't some kind of criminal record :eek:, the boss freaked, so did i come to think of it.

There was a guy a couple of door up, seemed nice enough, turns out he was a major player in Shavo Hogans criminal gang.

Proof to me to keep my business private and my yap shut.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Discretion is the name of the game. You don't know who you are talking to really, or what they get up to. The company i served the last year of my apprenticeship with, got a job to do in one of the major banks. All staff working on site had to be vetted by the gardai, out of a staff of 30 it was just three of us who hadn't some kind of criminal record :eek:, the boss freaked, so did i come to think of it.

There was a guy a couple of door up, seemed nice enough, turns out he was a major player in Shavo Hogans criminal gang.

Proof to me to keep my business private and my yap shut.

All my co-workers currently are Americans, so my collection is rather on the quaint side lol.
    Some non gun owners there but some who either are or are aspiring to be.

My policy is get to know your colleagues first, then introduce it if and when appropriate.
    Had some great debates in my last job between some antis and myself, but happily often ended up with them coming away more educated than the average CNN/Sky/ABC/NBC/RTE news watcher is about firearms ownership.

Converting them one at a time, if not to pro then at least trying for neutral on the topic lol

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭JP22

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    And stay the absolute F,,K off Social media!!

Ansoutely 100%. I don't do facebook, twitter, twatter or whatecer else. Jees, on a good day I just about manage email, Boards & RFC.
    garrettod wrote: »
    So, on that basis, do you expect others to talk about shooting, without knowing for a fact that you shoot? :)

I understand what you mean. Most people are cautions on the subject and rightly so, and my discussion is almost always with club members that I personally know. If subject comes up in general discussion with someone you are not familiar with. You can always say you shoot but firearms are kept in club or Garda Station and are collected when needed. Ask right questions, the right answers and gut instinct should guide you from there.
    Discretion is the name of the game.

Always. Loose lips sink ships, WWII slogan.

Advertisement