Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Much colder, wintry showers, some of snow Easter Sunday 2021 onward

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Have really enjoyed the mild sunshine over the past week, as others have said thankfully this event has been downgraded to almost nothing at this stage and a mostly dry week is in store. I love wintry weather but in the middle of April no thanks. Roll on warmth and lots more dry weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I like extremes so would rather have had this proper. Its a pity it shifted Eastwards but its only weather. Warning for the Northern half of Scotland, what could have been.

Frequent showers will affect northern Scotland. Here, 2-5cm may accumulate at low levels away from north-facing coasts, with 5-10cm above 150m, and 15cm possible on highest ground above 300m. The strong winds will cause drifting of lying snow, and blizzard conditions at times on higher ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I think we are diverging off the topic in hand..

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Another damp squib thankfully

Cold front proper has arrived into the south of the Faroe Islands. Look at that drop from 7c to 0c in daylight hours!

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IVGUR1

• Advertisement

It’s kinda frustrating when you get people coming in saying “yay downgrade” when you have an interest in cold snaps and snow, derailing the thread off it’s topic of discussion.

Others are then already dismissing it.. just because it’s not going to snow in your region doesn’t mean the parties over for us.. as the charts have shown above, Ulster will have snow showers at various points over the next few days.

(Almost implying that the rest of us should take stock and move on because it’s not snowing in your region)

This is a very cold airmass, with a very tight gradient. Looking forward to the cold front coming through.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    It’s kinda frustrating when you get people coming in saying “yay downgrade” when you have an interest in cold snaps and snow, derailing the thread off it’s topic of discussion.

Last I checked you're not moderating this forum. This cold spell holds interest for a variety of reasons, for example yours in the possibility of snow falling and mine that my potted plants don't die off prematurely by sharp/severe frosts. Both different but perfectly valid angles at examining a meteorological event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Delighted this came to nothing. Way to much clutching at straws going on.

Roll on summer time :)

Last I checked you're not moderating this forum. This cold spell holds interest for a variety of reasons, for example yours in the possibility of snow falling and mine that my potted plants don't die off prematurely by sharp/severe frosts. Both different but perfectly valid angles at examining a meteorological event.

There is a tone in these posts that we should be quiet and stop discussing the incoming weather because it’s not affecting some..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Others are then already dismissing it.. just because it’s not going to snow in your region doesn’t mean the parties over for us.. as the charts have shown above, Ulster will have snow showers at various points over the next few days.

(Almost implying that the rest of us should take stock and move on because it’s not snowing in your region)

This is a very cold airmass, with a very tight gradient. Looking forward to the cold front coming through.

You've a lot to learn. What people say makes no difference to whether you're going to see snow or not. Everyone has as much right to post their opinion as you do, and if that is that they don't want to see snow then deal with it.

It's not your game. Don't storm off down the road with the ball under your arm.

• Advertisement

There is a tone in these posts that we should be quiet and stop discussing the incoming weather because it’s not affecting some..

Please quote those posts that are telling you to be quiet. I haven't seen any.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

Cold weather in April is always a risk, but I'll welcome the end of the upcoming cold spell. Not good for the garden, sets growth back. Give me frosty cold snowy weather in December and January, and we got a little bit this year at least.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Plenty of people here are delighted that we are not due a week of cold rain, sleet, hail and snow showers mid way through Spring. People are entitled to that opinion and it's relevant to the topic. Same for when we get endless weeks of rain and wind from the west,not everyone likes it and many wish it away. Same when we get those rare occassions of very warm and humid conditions in the summer, many of us like temperatures above 25C but not everyone does and we do get posts wishing warm weather away. They are entitled to their opinions.

The fact that this week will be mostly dry away from western and northern counties is relevant because that is weather we are getting over the next week, mostly dry but cold and potentially frosty. It will be a great week to get more gardening done and go for walks while wrapping up well due to the cold temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Now now, there is no call for that. There are moderators here for dealing with posts that are of the aggravating tone. There is also a report post function if you feel a moderator has missed something - use that, or even PM one of the moderators for a direct conversation with us.

Back to the weather and the incoming arctic blast here forth please.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

I suppose Nqp15hhu as a proud Ulsterman you wouldn't be long getting frostbit in that airmass
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLMrHRuhxO4

Looks like we be getting some cold nights ahead so better cover up those delicate plants in the garden.

Now -3c at sea level on an Atlantic island in the Faroe Islands! In the middle of the day!

Impressive!!

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IVGUR1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

If it's not happening directly over the houses of a few people around the pale then it's completely pointless. Thats the general tone of the narrative on boards. Ie weather, that's why I rarely check or comment anymore in the threads not to the mention the person that just moans continously all year long about not getting their ideal weather conditions right over their house in meath

It would give you a dry diorhea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I’m just here waiting for the next good storm to advertise my trampoline for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

-4C recently at Torshavn in the Faroe Isles with an onshore wind, impressive. 850s around -17C.

UrgpSHG.png

The lower thickness values are slightly further west on Tuesday.

Tuesday is the best chance for most to see snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Tonight

Cloudy to begin tonight with scattered outbreaks of light rain moving southwards, followed by much colder air. Scattered showers of sleet or snow will move into Ulster later in the night with clearer weather developing. Northerly winds will be moderate to fresh, strong at times on Ulster coasts. Lowest temperatures of -1 to +3 degrees, coldest in Ulster with frost forming in sheltered areas.

If it's not happening directly over the houses of a few people around the pale then it's completely pointless. Thats the general tone of the narrative on boards. Ie weather, that's why I rarely check or comment anymore in the threads not to the mention the person that just moans continously all year long about not getting their ideal weather conditions right over their house in meath

And they're all the better for it.

Anyway, here's the UKMO's ballooning forecast for Draperstown (mid-Ulster) this evening and tomorrow morning. You're welcome, N.
    Area Forecast: NORTH
    Forecast period: 04 APRIL 2021 1600-2100 UTC
    Regional Summary
    Moderate to strong westerly to northwesterly surface winds across the region, strongest in the north. A cold front will push southwards across Scotland, reaching Northern Ireland and northern England by the end of the period. This will bring generally light outbreaks of rain, with broken stratocumulus, bases 1200-1800ft and scattered/broken stratus, bases 600-800ft. Clearer behind but wintry showers following shortly after into northern Scotland, with scattered/broken cumulus/cumulonimbus bases 400-1200ft.
    Sea Breeze: Nil

Inversions Min/Max (ft)
    Widespread inversion England and Northern Ireland, and southern Scotland at first, bases 2000-3000ft, tops 4000ft.

Lee waves generated over Ne Ireland
    Height at strongest wave activity (ft): 4000
    Wave amplitude (Nil/Moderate/Severe): Mod
    Risk of Rotors: No

Outlook for period:
    DAWN TO DAWN+3 HOURS, 05 APRIL 2021: Frequent wintry showers across Northern Ireland and the northern half of Scotland with scattered/broken cumulus or cumulonimbus. Largely dry and clear across England and southern Scotland. Moderate to strong northwesterly surface winds, strongest around coasts.

549203.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Maybe you see in others what you are blind to in yourself; in other words everyone priorities the weather in their own area, including you. With this in mind you were very happy when you had several hours of snow back in February, it probably did not bother you too much that others missed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The lower thickness values are slightly further west on Tuesday.

Tuesday is the best chance for most to see snow.

Yes. Tuesday looks the best time for snow a bit more widely. Perhaps later in the week we might have another chance?

Yes. Tuesday looks the best time for snow a bit more widely. Perhaps later in the week we might have another chance?

Friday on the 12z does look snowy for Ulster and northern Connaught due to the lower thickness and air pressure. The 850’s are warmer though.

After the dramatic last minute flip this week I won’t be holding out on it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Early on April 5th 2018, temps fell to below -5.0c in the midlands:

UoWCHb0.png

I'd be very surprised if we even came close that under this current spell, but if we do, sheltered spots of the east and southeast would be the areas favoured I reckon.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

After the dramatic last minute flip this week I won’t be holding out on it though!

You are young, naïve and starry eyed. With time, you'll learn to become as bitterly sceptical and resentful of anything that shows anything remotely interesting regarding the Irish weather as the rest of us because 99.9% of the time, disappointment and dejection will prevail!

New Moon

Hmm

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    You are young, naïve and starry eyed. With time, you'll learn to become as bitterly sceptical and resentful of anything that shows anything remotely interesting regarding the Irish weather as the rest of us because 99.9% of the time, disappointment and dejection will prevail!

This is true for so many weather types beyond 'normal Irish weather'. Cold snaps, snow events, heatwaves, plumes, northerlies, easterlies, thunderstorms nearly always get downgraded to a more tame version bar a few exceptions. Our geography/location in particular plays a big part in this throughout the year, especially in winter and summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Stunning azure blue skies and sunshine here in clane but with a chilling wind

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement