Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flyby on Strava

Options
  • 30-03-2021 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

Why doesn't anyone use flyby anymore? Strava set it to "off" a few months ago, but individuals can switch it back on if they wish.

Passed a few cyclist today and not one appears on flyby. What gives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'd say most people just don't know/don't care that the default has been set to off. I do miss it all the same especially when another rider calls out your name and you haven't a clue who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Security presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

That's exactly what I use it for aswell! :) it's also handy when you see people that you follow on strava were out on the same roads as you and you can see where you almost met/bumped into each other.

I think the issue with it was that you could see people on Fly-by even if they were not public. So it created a privacy issue as it allowed people to know you people were just from passing them by with a garmin (or other GPS)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I thought it was gone totally. I'll have to go look how to switch it back on now..

• Advertisement

I thought it was gone totally. I'll have to go look how to switch it back on now..

To use it. Set your activities to "everyone" in your privacy settings. Just make sure you have your privacy zones setup beforehand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

07Lapierre wrote: »
    To use it. Set your activities to "everyone" in your privacy settings. Just make sure you have your privacy zones setup beforehand ;)

It was already set to everyone, etc - I just didn't see the button recently probably due to me using the phone more than the laptop to view things on it.
    Only 1 flyby on todays spin, despite seeing quite a few people out.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Security presumably.
    That was the reason Strava set the default position to off (following litigation in the US). However, it's not the reason why most people have left it off, otherwise they would have switched it off before Strava did if they were concerned about security. As I said above, most people don't know it's been switched off or couldn't be arsed switching it back on again.

That was the reason Strava set the default position to off (following litigation in the US). However, it's not the reason why most people have left it off, otherwise they would have switched it off before Strava did if they were concerned about security. As I said above, most people don't know it's been switched off or couldn't be arsed switching it back on again.

Maybe. Or maybe the issue being highlighted brought the potential issues to people's attention and it seemed great but the price was not worth it.

I think the issue with it was that you could see people on Fly-by even if they were not public. So it created a privacy issue as it allowed people to know you people were just from passing them by with a garmin (or other GPS)
    Slightly off topic but just wondering - my wife has all her activities set to private but, if she walks with me, is her activity visible to others (as it comes up with mine).

I'd probably have to get an outsider to check (as we are 'following' each other).

• Advertisement

It looks like Fly By off has also been applied retrospectively. I just checked the last WW200 I did and only a handful of riders are appearing.

It was already set to everyone, etc - I just didn't see the button recently probably due to me using the phone more than the laptop to view things on it.
    Only 1 flyby on todays spin, despite seeing quite a few people out.

Ah maybe that's it! Maybe the majority of users are using the Strava app and rarely, if ever use the website?

It looks like Fly By off has also been applied retrospectively. I just checked the last WW200 I did and only a handful of riders are appearing.

I think that was always the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Slightly off topic but just wondering - my wife has all her activities set to private but, if she walks with me, is her activity visible to others (as it comes up with mine).

I'd probably have to get an outsider to check (as we are 'following' each other).

All your walks on my Strava feed appear as if you did them solo. No +1.

I think FlyBy has become irrelevant since the privacy change. The change effectively wiped it of 90% of users as most are unaware of the opt-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Alexzont

Yeah, couldn't be arsed with it now personally after they disabled it by default. Was brilliant back in the day getting to know all the fast lads when I was new enough to cycling, but forgotten completely about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

07Lapierre wrote: »
    That's exactly what I use it for aswell! :) it's also handy when you see people that you follow on strava were out on the same roads as you and you can see where you almost met/bumped into each other.
    Who exactly are you trying to stalk?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

koutoubia wrote: »
    Everyone!
    I used to like seeing who I met and what kind of speeds they were doing and so on. Personally I've no interest in where they live, etc but I understand the logic behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Different sports but it was brilliant for hill running or orienteering to see what routes people took in navigation races or in follow the tape races it was cool to see how the gaps opened up.
    It was disabled during lockdown so I think when racing comes back some people will enable it, there's not enough of a reason now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Peterx wrote: »
    It was disabled during lockdown so I think when racing comes back some people will enable it, there's not enough of a reason now.

Tyranny of the default, youd be lucky if 1% re-enabled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I miss the Fly-by's too.I turned mine back on as soon as Strava turned it off by default.I liked it from the racing point of view,as you see where rider's made a move,stretching a gap etc.Also I follow people in my local area,who cycle the same routes as me and are in or slightly about my pace.I could be passing them regurarly and it would be good to put a face to the name.Like most people I have my 1km privacy set around my house,but as I have a less than common surname it wouldn't take a bike thief too long to figure out my house.Strava was set up to be a "Community" of people,but the snowflake generation who can't be social,live on the web ordering their shopping/food online etc has f3cked it up for us normal folk.

• Advertisement

I miss the Fly-by's too.I turned mine back on as soon as Strava turned it off by default.I liked it from the racing point of view,as you see where rider's made a move,stretching a gap etc.Also I follow people in my local area,who cycle the same routes as me and are in or slightly about my pace.I could be passing them regurarly and it would be good to put a face to the name.Like most people I have my 1km privacy set around my house,but as I have a less than common surname it wouldn't take a bike thief too long to figure out my house.Strava was set up to be a "Community" of people,but the snowflake generation who can't be social,live on the web ordering their shopping/food online etc has f3cked it up for us normal folk.

You could stop and say hello to these people?

But no, its the snowflakes fault. Good grief!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

ED E wrote:
    Tyranny of the default, youd be lucky if 1% re-enabled it.

Who needs 1%, I just need the very small subset of people I race against who are on Steava. I can ask them at the finish line :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭easygoing39

You could stop and say hello to these people?

But no, its the snowflakes fault. Good grief!

I see I've triggered one of the snowflakes!!
    Next time I'm crawling up Howth Head I'll try and stop and say hello to a rider as they fly towards me at 50 kph! Good grief!!

I see I've triggered one of the snowflakes!!
    Next time I'm crawling up Howth Head I'll try and stop and say hello to a rider as they fly towards me at 50 kph! Good grief!!

Are, you could simply turn around and catch up with them!!

Triggered, snowflakes? Seriously? We are talking about a computer-generated tracking system. It doesn't stop you from meeting anyone. It doesn't stop you from meeting people, from saying hello.

As you pass by another cyclist, maybe slow down and try to strike up a conversation. If others fly past you, turn around and catch them.

If the cyclist has their rides public, its actually fairly easy to find them within Strava if you are interested. Assuming you don't want to follow simply everyone that you pass or are past by. if you spot the same person a few times then simply check your ride segments on the same day and narrow it down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,574 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

can't say i've ever wanted to find out who passed me in the other direction when i'm climbing up howth, there are so many riders there in normal times.
    can't say i'd even be able to remember which person was the person of interest, there are so many riders.

i've used it to follow people i've joined up with on the roads, and had a chat with; or more recently, the one case where i did want to find out who passed me going the opposite direction, but he was easy to remember.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think it was these tweets that triggered Strava to set the feature's default setting to private. Effectively you have the name, address and picture of a person. You may also be able to see their activity profile and see that they leave home for a spin or run every day at the same time...

https://twitter.com/MrAndrew/status/1305530277847085056

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Strava was set up to be a "Community" of people,but the snowflake generation who can't be social,live on the web ordering their shopping/food online etc has f3cked it up for us normal folk.

Are you giving out that you can't do something online, and blaming it on people who do things online?

koutoubia wrote: »

Anyone and everyone! :) TBH I thought it was a nice feature. To use it you have to set your activity to “everyone” so maybe if they changed that you could only view other riders that you follow on strava It would get more use? Or maybe the majority of starve users simply don’t want it and it will be removed completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭ratracer

I didn’t bother switching it back on, I didn’t use it, so I don’t need anyone I don’t know stalking me either.
    What I found interesting from the cases mentioned, and I noticed it on our club pages was the amount of peeps all over the world that just join random pages, why??

My use of Strava is for measuring my own metrics, not really for the ‘social media’ side of it, so it’s staying off for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

ratracer wrote: »
    I didn’t bother switching it back on, I didn’t use it, so I don’t need anyone I don’t know stalking me either.
    What I found interesting from the cases mentioned, and I noticed it on our club pages was the amount of peeps all over the world that just join random pages, why??

My use of Strava is for measuring my own metrics, not really for the ‘social media’ side of it, so it’s staying off for me!
    I assume the more clubs they join, the more people follow them or see their ride, the more kudos they get.

Advertisement